Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #1

Hi all, I posted in my report on my shakedown cruise about a problem I had with our refrigerator and Jim suggested I post where more people could help me, so here goes...

On our first trip, I set the fridge on propane a couple of hours before I packed it. It was very cold when I packed it. I filled the freezer and the fridge part was partly full. (I really like having a big fridge after being in the popup. Storage in the door too, that is so wonderful!) Anyway, all was well. We left that afternoon and set up camp. I went inside to switch the fridge to electric like the tech had told me to do. Only prob was that the knob inside the fridge was smeared and only gas was legible. I put it where I thought it was electric and left it. (First mistake. I should have kept checking.) The next morning, the milk was still very cold and I did not even have the temp on coldest. We went about our daily business and all was fine. The burger patties at lunch were still frozen. I grilled fish for dinner that night. It was frozen, but not as solid as normal. I did not really think about it at the time though. We did our campfire and then went to bed.

Sunday morning we woke up to find the fridge warm and all the food bad. I did manage to salvage the packs of cinammon rolls and the bacon that is precooked and doesn't require the low temps to stay good. (It says on the pack "refrigerate after purchase".) That was our breakfast. The stuff in the freezer was semi frozen, so I cooked it all for lunch. I switched the fridge back to propane, but it did not cool it.

When we got home and parked it out front to unpack and clean before storage, I switched the fridge to propane to see if it would work. The freezer got cold, but the fridge part, no so much. I know I need to get a thermometer. The fins in the back of the fridge did not feel too cold. Why would the freezer be cold, but not the fridge. Maybe it would have could had I given it more time. I don't know.

I will try to take pictures this afternoon and post them. (Will need help with posting them though.) You will be able to see what the knobs look like.

Any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

mamaloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2007, 04:29 AM   #2

Hi all, I posted in my report on my shakedown cruise about a problem I had with our refrigerator and Jim suggested I post where more people could help me, so here goes...

On our first trip, I set the fridge on propane a couple of hours before I packed it. It was very cold when I packed it. I filled the freezer and the fridge part was partly full. (I really like having a big fridge after being in the popup. Storage in the door too, that is so wonderful!) Anyway, all was well. We left that afternoon and set up camp. I went inside to switch the fridge to electric like the tech had told me to do. Only prob was that the knob inside the fridge was smeared and only gas was legible. I put it where I thought it was electric and left it. (First mistake. I should have kept checking.) The next morning, the milk was still very cold and I did not even have the temp on coldest. We went about our daily business and all was fine. The burger patties at lunch were still frozen. I grilled fish for dinner that night. It was frozen, but not as solid as normal. I did not really think about it at the time though. We did our campfire and then went to bed.

Sunday morning we woke up to find the fridge warm and all the food bad. I did manage to salvage the packs of cinammon rolls and the bacon that is precooked and doesn't require the low temps to stay good. (It says on the pack "refrigerate after purchase".) That was our breakfast. The stuff in the freezer was semi frozen, so I cooked it all for lunch. I switched the fridge back to propane, but it did not cool it.

When we got home and parked it out front to unpack and clean before storage, I switched the fridge to propane to see if it would work. The freezer got cold, but the fridge part, no so much. I know I need to get a thermometer. The fins in the back of the fridge did not feel too cold. Why would the freezer be cold, but not the fridge. Maybe it would have could had I given it more time. I don't know.

I will try to take pictures this afternoon and post them. (Will need help with posting them though.) You will be able to see what the knobs look like.

Any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Old 01-21-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Make sure the refrigerator is level and operate it in propane for 24 hours. Put thermometer in each section and check the temeratures. If the system as a restriction the freezer section can freeze but the fresh food section will barely cool. If you smell amonia you will have a leak in the system which will require a new cooling unit or refrigerator. Let us know what you find out.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 01:37 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
I think your refrigerator needs 12v to operate either on gas or 110v electric. Check your batteries or inverter.

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:39 PM   #5

OK, I thought my post disappeared. I was thinking there should be a forum for this type of question, but did not know this one existed. I am glad I did not repost. Just having a blonde moment I guess.

OK, have not taken pictures yet. Went over there to get the toolbox today, but forgot to bring the camera. Maybe tomorrow.

OK, as for 12V to run it on propane or 110V. Never considered that, but the 12V is fine. The lights work when unhitched and no power is hooked up. I assume that means everything is fine. It did work on propane at first also. It was level, so don't think off level is the prob. I don't think it was on propane for 24 hours before I switched it though. Is that what you mean? Or are you saying to run it on propane for 24 hours now and then see what the temp does? What temp should I look for in each compartment? I do not smell ammonia. I would recognize that one as it is one that I am hypersensitive too and it makes me very ill.

I also checked the service panel to make sure the fridge was plugged in and it was. It looks a little old in the panel. I will click a picture of that as well. Maybe I will run to WM tonight to get thermometers and then go by and snap a couple of pictures. It will be dark, but the flash should do fine.

As for an inverter...not really sure what that is. I think it does something with making the battery usable or recharging the battery. Am I close? If the lights work when you are not hitched to the van, does that mean the inverter is working? And, one more question on those lines... Does my battery in the camper charge while we are towing?

OK, I will check it out and get back with you soon. Thanks for the input guys.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #6

I found a troubleshooting link.

Fridge troubleshooting

Old 01-24-2007, 12:08 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sandra, optimum temperatures inside the freezer would be near Zero degrees and the fresh food section should be 36 -38 degrees. If the charge line is working on the van you should see a rise in battery voltage at the trailer battery when plugged in and the engine running. You probably have just a converter in the trailer for recharging the battery(s). It too should raise the voltage at the battery when plugged into shore power. After you have checked these things and any thing else you find in your trouble shooting link let us know.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #8

Sandra, the link you have has some very good information to help solve your problem. You might also try Bryant RV at this link. If you know the brand and model number of your fridge, you can scroll down the page and download the complete service manual.

Hope this helps.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:09 PM   #9

OK, it is to cold for me to deal with the fridge right now. It is colder outside than it is supposed to be in the fridge, so turning it on would be pointless I would think.

I have been looking into new fridges "just in case". They seem to be between $700 and $900, plus $200 to install. Does that seem right to everyone here? I really don't think it is something we could install ourselves. Also, how easy it to find used ones out there? Don't want to put money into a new fridge, but dh pointed out that it is still cheaper than buying a new hybrid.

Just trying to consider all of my options until this weather warms up enough for me to check it out.

Old 02-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sandra, the prices sound ok. Not knowing how skilled you may be, the only thing I would caution you on is the lp gas connection. Be sure after turning the gas back on that you do a leak check on it. You can use Dawn dish detergent and water to make a solution to spray or daub it on. If you have a leak it will bubble up. THere shoul dbe screws in the front as well as in the back holding it in place. Disconect all power, even the 12 volt before disconnecting wires. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #11

If I'm wrong about this Mike please correct me. I've read that sometimes it makes a refrigerator work again if you remove it, turn it upside down for a few days, then re-install it. Allow to sit for a few days again before attempting to operate.
You may not need a new frig, just a new cooling unit. They are much cheaper than the whole thing. I've seen a website posted that re-builds them.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Ray, the process you mention has been called "Burping" and can sometimes be a temporary fix if the cooling unit has a restriction. Sodium chromate when cooked will flake and this is what causes a system to get clogged up at some port. The burping will dislodge the restriction and the unit will begin to cool and work again; for a time. Depending on how many flakes the system may have, eventually the system will re-restict and not cool. These refrigerators when opearted in an unlevel condition causes the flaking. A new cooling unit is an option and sometimes is the way to go, depending on the age of the ref. I am not a fan of rebuit units as most of the time it fails again before the owners has gotten his money's worth.
Old 02-05-2007, 04:20 AM   #13

I have a question about the level thing. Does it have to be level just during operation, or when stored as well. I ask this because, when we got our hybrid, we told the PORV storage lot that we would no longer use our old spot that our popup was in. It was in a corner next to a tree, on an angle, and full of ants (that we had exterminated, but I am sure will be back). They told us to pick a new spot and we found a level one on concrete with a very easy angle to back into. It is level. They then put a 5th wheel into our old spot. I had told that spot was no good. The 5th wheel barely fits and is so unlevel even my little ones can tell. It looks like it may fall over. I can't imagine them putting their unit there. They are either newbies or don't care. It is a nice 5th wheel, too. Just wondered if storing unlevel will damage a fridge.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:15 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Sandra, if the refrigerator is off the coach does NOT have to be level.