RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #1

Refrigerator question

I have a pop up with a Dometic RM2193 3 way. It appears that both LP and 120V can be on at the same time. There is a label on the control panel that states to NOT use two power sources at the same time but I can find no info as to what the consequence would be.
Any info will be appreciate. Thanks, JDR37
jdr37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #2

RM2193

The 120VAC is only circuit that uses a 'thermostat'
The 12VDC runs continuously ...no thermostat on/off control
The LP has Low, Medium & High settings....no thermostat control

IF AC and LP ON at same time....LP will overheat
If AC and DC ON at same time....DC will overheat
If LP and DC on at same time....BOTH will overheat

AC is only system using a temperature feedback to thermostat
DC & LP are just ON

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #3

refrige

Thanks Old Biscuit, that's exactly what I thought would be the "consequences". That begs the question that I am seeking: what are the consequences of "overheating".
A little clarification is in order: I live in Florida where the heat has been in the low 90's the past few days. The best temp I can get with one power source is in the high 40's which basically renders the unit as worthless to me. I accidentally had both 120 and LP on for about 4 hours and the temp was down in the mid 30's which is what I want. So, will the "overheat" cause fire, meltdown of refrigerator components, or what. Or might it be possible to use LP and set the thermostatically controlled 120 so that I obtained improved cooling but avoided any catastrophic damage? As a side note, I would say that any refrigerator manufacturer that delivers a product incapable of maintaining a differential of 55 degrees is, at best, (I,ll leave blank).
Your thoughts about a closely monitored and controlled use on LP and 120 to at least get down in the high 30s?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2020, 04:32 PM   #4

Rm2193

One other question: the LP valve has a dial from OFF to LOW to MED to HIGH.
What does the low, med, high settings do?
Old 10-13-2020, 05:04 PM   #5

Overheating in the context I used refers to heat source not being controlled based on temperature.
Overheating in that context CAN cause the food compartment temps to be cold enough to freeze items

Overheating in a general context could refer to the cooling unit tubing becoming overheated due to lack of coolant flow...that can cause metal fatigue and failure of tubing

Overheating in another context can refer to coolant becoming overheated due to lack of flow....that causes the sodium chromate in the coolant solution to crystalize/plate out on inside of tubing and cause further obstructions in flow of coolant which causes more overheating....process is accumulative and permanent

All of those overheating conditions could occur when heat source is continuous

As for the Gas Low, Medium, High settings....that is height of flame and consequentially the amount of heat generated

Revision over the course of time/production has resulted in 3-way fridges being controlled by a circuit board which then controls all heating sources via temp sensing & thermostat
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 05:37 PM   #6

rm2193

Thanks much, I'm gonna do some investigating and maintenance and see if I can get it chilling .

Tags
refrigerator