Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2022, 03:51 PM   #1

Refrigerator water accumulation

We have a Norcold residential style refrigerator (two doors with freezer on both sides at top) in or 2016 Winnebago Sightseer. The refrigerator has a nasty habit of accumulating water in the bottom. I assume it is part of the cycle to keep frost free but wondered if others have same experience or if this can be eliminated? Thanks in advance.
smackotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2022, 04:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackotx View Post
We have a Norcold residential style refrigerator (two doors with freezer on both sides at top) in or 2016 Winnebago Sightseer. The refrigerator has a nasty habit of accumulating water in the bottom. I assume it is part of the cycle to keep frost free but wondered if others have same experience or if this can be eliminated? Thanks in advance.
Underneath the fins in the refrigerator section is a trough.

That trough collects the runoff from the cooling fins and directs the water via a small tube to a small collection container on top of the cooling/heating tubes at the bottom of back of the refrigerator.

Make sure the tube is still connected to the trough inside of the refrigerator. If it is connected, then open the access panel on the outside of your coach and look for the tube and the collection container. There is an anti-bug restrictor in the end of the tube to keep critters out of the tube. It can easily become stopped up by dirt and critter stuff. Check it and clean it out.
bentjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 04:34 PM   #3

I agree with bentjm make sure the anti-bug restrictor is still there and the tube is clean
08Carriage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 10:09 PM   #4

Fresh food compartment Drip tray collects condensation from the FINS and drains it out via a drain hose that goes into a drip cup next to burner stack

Drain hose not connected, not inside the drip cup or broken/cracked allows water to collect in outside compartment which can then flow under fridge
*Fridge should be completely sealed from outside compartment

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 03:54 PM   #5

I do not see a trough. Water would seem to be able to fall directly down to the bottom. Is the trough removable? I bought it used and wonder if it is missing. There is a stub a few inches below where you described the trough should be. Thanks for all the help
Old 06-25-2022, 04:10 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
You should have a drip trough like #13 in this picture.....

Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022, 04:15 PM   #7

No drip pan. Need to run down model number and order. Thanks
Old 06-28-2022, 05:54 PM   #8

Our trough drain tube was not working. The drip catch trough was full of water and dripping down to the bottom of the fridge. The drip tube on ours was relocated and was not able to drain. I relocated the drip tube to drain into the catch pan and all works well now.
Offramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2022, 04:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackotx View Post
No drip pan. Need to run down model number and order. Thanks
Moat any RV supplies store can order you one, all you need is your fridge make/model #.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Mine doesn't have a drip trough on the outside and the hose goes through the outside grille and runs down the side? It does have the bug plug which I pull out every now and then and make sure I can blow through it.
2006 Country Coach Inspire #51700 SA
2020 Lincoln Nautilus Towed
Lectric Bikes
Raysir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 03:02 PM   #11

My residential fridge runs & cools better with the outside wall vent open , especially during hot temps here in Florida. Why would I want to close the vent off ?
Florida Rang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysir View Post
Mine doesn't have a drip trough on the outside and the hose goes through the outside grille and runs down the side? It does have the bug plug which I pull out every now and then and make sure I can blow through it.
To my knowledge, Norcold brand has a water collection cup near the heating chamber. Dometic chose to run the drain hose outside instead.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Moat any RV supplies store can order you one, all you need is your fridge make/model #.
Norcold Fridge

1. Serial Plate location prior to January 1984.
2. Serial Plate location between January 1984 and April 30, 1995.
3. Serial Plate location after May 1, 1995.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
To my knowledge, Norcold brand has a water collection cup near the heating chamber. Dometic chose to run the drain hose outside instead.
Correct^^^^

Norcold ...drip cup next to burner area
Dometic...drain hose sticks out thru lower vent/access panel
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator, water