Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Relocating Battery from Hood to Under Bed

Hello everyone! I'm a new RVer. Just bought an older 1984 Ford Econoline Shasta. I'm going to be buying a solar panel system soon (Harbor Freight 100 watt solar kit). I've noticed that my RV has the house battery under the hood. I'd like to move it and have the "battery bank" under the RV. I've asked for some help on Facebook but they said I'd have to follow the cable to where it goes to the converter box. Which is also a little hard for me to do because I know so little. Would anyone here be able to tell me where exactly I can look for where the cable runs through and how to hook it up ? Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology. I'm really new to all of this.
dahlialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

How are you going to 'contain' battery spills?
How are you going to 'vent' the gasses from battery?
How are you going to provide access for adding/maintaining batter water levels?

There are reasons the house battery is under the hood
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 06:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
How are you going to 'contain' battery spills?
How are you going to 'vent' the gasses from battery?
How are you going to provide access for adding/maintaining batter water levels?

There are reasons the house battery is under the hood
I've just seen some other RVs that have a nice setup with the batteries on the inside of the RV. The underside of my bed area leads to a storage compartment accessible from the outside.
I was thinking of maybe building a separate area for this under there.

Like I said, I don't really know much. I just want to know if I can do this or if I have to, maybe get a separate set of batteries.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Welcome aboard!

If you are using AGM or Lithium battery, yes you can put them under the bed. Lead-acid battery is cheaper but gassing and in need of watering, not suitable for under the bed or inside the van for health reason.

I have no knowledge about Econoline van, hang in there hopefully someone knows it better and sheds some light.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 08:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Welcome aboard!

If you are using AGM or Lithium battery, yes you can put them under the bed. Lead-acid battery is cheaper but gassing and in need of watering, not suitable for under the bed or inside the van for health reason.

I have no knowledge about Econoline van, hang in there hopefully someone knows it better and sheds some light.
Hey! Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes it is an AGM.. I was going to go with 2 golf cart batteries but they didn't have any AGM ones so I just went with the 12v one.
Old 12-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #6

So Dahlia, why do you want the batteries under the bed? Where in the rv is the bed?
Why Are you adding more batteries? You need to make sure the cables are the correct size. The converter takes 120 volts and changes to 12 volts, and the converter will probably also charge your batteries. But you need to be plugged in or run a generator for the converter to work.

I would not buy Harbor solar, there are many better options out there.

So you need to list what you have in your rv, then list what you expect to do with all the changes before anyone can give you specific suggestions. And is there a budget? You can throw a lot of money at that rv, but it is still 24 years old and the value is going down. So thinkhard!
Harrysait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I can't add to what others have said but noticed that you are kinda new on IRV2 and wanted to say hello! Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 05:14 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlialove View Post
Hey! Thank you for the warm welcome! Yes it is an AGM.. I was going to go with 2 golf cart batteries but they didn't have any AGM ones so I just went with the 12v one.
I have two Interstate 6V AGM batteries in my Class B. If you go with AGM batteries, make sure your converter/charger has the correct charging profile for AGM.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cat