Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2019, 08:06 AM   #15

Well, I hate to admit it but I was unable to remove the cowling/cover on the A/C unit to test the capacitors.

That last phillips head screw would not budge, even after soaking with PB Blaster for hours. I would blame the installer, but the installer was me!

So, she goes into the shop today for a new A/C unit and a new fresh water pump. Both items served admirably for 21 years so no complaints from me.

Reminds me of my boating days (Break Out Another Thousand).
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 AM   #16

Back when our rear AC went out on our 1989 Foretravel (whatever happened to long life appliances??) lead times were about 4-6 months!! And prices were crazy because of the high temps and demand that summer.
Also, Coleman no longer even bothered keeping an inventory of spare parts. In other words, tough luck--buy a new one irregardless of what it might cost to repair the old one.
We (the DW & me) were driving by a salvage yard two to three times a week for physical therapy sessions and there were two class Cs sitting in their yard. Bought a Coleman unit off one of them identical to our failed unit for $25. It cools better and quieter than the Coleman Mach 3 up front and has lasted almost four years now.
Up here in the Northwoods AC is not used a whole lot in the woods so some of these units have low usage hours on them.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 01:21 PM   #17

Both of mine are not working. I can hear a change of sound when I go from fan to ac so I'm guessing the compressor is comming on.
I'm going to braze in a service port hook it up to a vacuum pump pull a vacuum and fill with 15.5oz of r22 what my units call for. If they still don't work I guess I will be dropping $2,700.00 for two a/c's controll boards and thermostate.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:00 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
If it is somthing simple like a capasitor or tstat then do the repair. At 10 years old if its a compressor then go with a new unit. They are very easy to remove and install.I put a new Coleman Mach on my coach in January, biggest issue I had was getting it on the roof (106lbs) neighbor came over with his front end loader and put it up no problem. Purchased the unit new off of ebay from a RV supply house for 650.00 including shipping to the door. Plus it was a 13,500 btu.
Ron1z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:51 PM   #19

Don't know what amp power source OP has but if it 30 amp be aware he could have the Power Saver units. Mine Winnie does and they draw much less power than the standard Coleman and way less than the Dometics.
I bought mine last fall from PPL, only took them 3 tries to get me the correct part number. The Power Saver is more expensive but worth the money to me.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 06:53 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hoping its a capacitor

10 year old (I think, new to me coach) Dometic Duo Therm system. Every thing working at first - when turned on fan comes on and runs about 3 minutes then compressor kicks in. All normal for 4 to 8 minutes. Then total shutdown. Turn system off at thermostat and back on - nothing, totally dead. Wait an hour, turn back on, fan runs 2-3 mins, compressor kicks in, cools 4-8 mins then off. Totally off. Same thing on shore power or generator. Nothing else affected. Breakers on post and in moho not blown. Reset anyway, makes no difference. Any ideas, advice, suggestion most appreciated.
pawneetrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:38 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawneetrader View Post
10 year old (I think, new to me coach) Dometic Duo Therm system. Every thing working at first - when turned on fan comes on and runs about 3 minutes then compressor kicks in. All normal for 4 to 8 minutes. Then total shutdown. Turn system off at thermostat and back on - nothing, totally dead. Wait an hour, turn back on, fan runs 2-3 mins, compressor kicks in, cools 4-8 mins then off. Totally off. Same thing on shore power or generator. Nothing else affected. Breakers on post and in moho not blown. Reset anyway, makes no difference. Any ideas, advice, suggestion most appreciated.
Start by cleaning the condenser coil. Make sure the condenser fan is secured tightly to the motor shaft.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:16 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Water D View Post
Start by cleaning the condenser coil. Make sure the condenser fan is secured tightly to the motor shaft.
I just reread your post. Are you saying that the entire unit, including the fan, is shutting off?
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:33 AM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yes, the entire system goes off, just like I turned it off at the thermostat. The thermostat goes off also and remains dead for about an hour - time for whatever is shutting down to cool off I am guessing.
pawneetrader is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, repair, replace