Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2022, 11:54 AM   #1

Replace Aqua-Hot with propane

I have a 600D Aqua-Hot that I keep maintained on a regular schedule. Over the years I've had to replace the burner assembly, thermostats, circulating pumps and much more.

I believe the unit is operating as it should be. When the outside temperature is above 60 degrees I have no complaints. In fact, the water is almost too hot to shower. However, when the outside temperature drops below 50 degrees there is hardly any hot water, and the furnace does not keep the coach warm.

I would like to replace my 600D with a regular propane furnace(s) and water heater. Has anyone done this before?
Jericho S is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2022, 12:43 PM   #2

Welcome newcomer!!! I suggest adding a signature...helps others with similar coaches to assist.

We have Aqua-Hot, and would never trade it for propane. We have endless hot water. A few years ago we wintered in Ohio for work (October through March...REALLY COLD) and could take showers with plenty of hot water, and heating the coach in 7°F (well below freezing) weather was not an issue.

Our prior coach was propane, and we could never have done that (wintered somewhere cold), as we are full-timers and want all the comforts of home at all times.

There must be something else going on. Two things come to mind, but neither of them would fully explain your issue (hot above 60°F, cold below 40°F).
  • I have seen a few folks have their water bay faucet cold and hot knobs on such that the sprayer is essentially "mixing" hot and cold...simple closing of either/both knobs solved the issue. This would apply to either propane or diesel heat.
  • Perhaps the Aqua-Hot mixing valve is not working correctly? When we first got our coach the water was always lukewarm, not really hot. I turned the mixing valve to get more hot water, and instead it got colder. Found that the cold/hot lines to the valve were reversed at the factory. 5 minutes to switch, and we've had steamy hot water for the past 4 years.
hilgert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:19 AM   #3

In the above post, I meant to say "(hot above 60°F, cold below 50°F)".
Old 10-26-2022, 09:10 AM   #4

Thank you hilgert, I replaced the mixing valve hoping that would correct the problem. Nothing changed.
Jericho S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho S View Post
I believe the unit is operating as it should be.
Mmmmm. I don't think so. I recommend that you get the unit inspected by a factory trained and certified technician. Based on my experience with my 525D you still have a hidden problem. I understand your frustration but your 600D should give you great service in all respects once you've gotten to the root cause of your troubles. When I suffered with my AH it was the high temperature cutoff switch. And after flushing the system it was removing all the air pockets in the lines as these pumps are not self priming. The stir pump is critical in the summer - who would have thought! While getting these issues identified I was ready to jettison it. Since then, I seem to have infinite showers with just my one heating element and my coach quickly heats in all weather.
BonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 05:05 PM   #6

It's definitely not working right. It's your coach, and your decision, but we'd never go back to a propane water heater and furnace.
n2zon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2022, 06:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Thank you hilgert, I replaced the mixing valve hoping that would correct the problem. Nothing changed.
Did you check to make sure the hot/cold lines were not reversed when you replaced the mixing valve?
Old 10-26-2022, 06:49 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Replace Aqua-Hot with propane

The problem with going to a propane furnace is you have no ductwork, you can’t distribute the heat. It would be very costly, to install ductwork. You can certainly install a hot water heater but you won’t be able to have it supply heat.
Those that have removed it generally heat in other ways , like electric heaters. From the people I’ve talked to there is no good complete solution to replace the aquahot.
On top of that if you remove the aquahot, you will certainly damage the resale value if that matters to you.
As others have said your unit is clearly not working properly. Have you had an authorized aqua hot service center look at it ? If you call aquahot, they can refer you to someone close to you. If you’re near Colorado I think they can look at it themselves. By the time and cost to replace it you probably could have it repaired.
Old 12-07-2022, 10:08 AM   #9

Hello everyone,
So I found the problem! Now I need to figure out how to fix it
As expected my Agua Hot 600D-002 is operating perfectly normal. However, the water loop inside the broiler is 98-99% clogged with hardwater build up.

For two days now I have had a pump hooked up to the water loop pushing straight vinegar through the loop at 35 psi, with only a very small drip, an occasional small intermated stream exiting the other end.

I need to find a solution to this as plan B is to replace the system, which is of course is extremely expensive.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
Did you check to make sure the hot/cold lines were not reversed when you replaced the mixing valve?
As expected my Agua Hot 600D-002 is operating perfectly normal. However, the water loop inside the broiler is 98-99% clogged with hardwater build up.

For two days now I have had a pump hooked up to the water loop pushing straight vinegar through the loop at 35 psi, with only a very small drip, an occasional small intermated stream exiting the other end.

I need to find a solution to this as plan B is to replace the system, which is of course is extremely expensive.
Old 12-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2zon View Post
It's definitely not working right. It's your coach, and your decision, but we'd never go back to a propane water heater and furnace.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
Mmmmm. I don't think so. I recommend that you get the unit inspected by a factory trained and certified technician. Based on my experience with my 525D you still have a hidden problem. I understand your frustration but your 600D should give you great service in all respects once you've gotten to the root cause of your troubles. When I suffered with my AH it was the high temperature cutoff switch. And after flushing the system it was removing all the air pockets in the lines as these pumps are not self priming. The stir pump is critical in the summer - who would have thought! While getting these issues identified I was ready to jettison it. Since then, I seem to have infinite showers with just my one heating element and my coach quickly heats in all weather.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgert View Post
Welcome newcomer!!! I suggest adding a signature...helps others with similar coaches to assist.

We have Aqua-Hot, and would never trade it for propane. We have endless hot water. A few years ago we wintered in Ohio for work (October through March...REALLY COLD) and could take showers with plenty of hot water, and heating the coach in 7°F (well below freezing) weather was not an issue.

Our prior coach was propane, and we could never have done that (wintered somewhere cold), as we are full-timers and want all the comforts of home at all times.

There must be something else going on. Two things come to mind, but neither of them would fully explain your issue (hot above 60°F, cold below 40°F).
  • I have seen a few folks have their water bay faucet cold and hot knobs on such that the sprayer is essentially "mixing" hot and cold...simple closing of either/both knobs solved the issue. This would apply to either propane or diesel heat.
  • Perhaps the Aqua-Hot mixing valve is not working correctly? When we first got our coach the water was always lukewarm, not really hot. I turned the mixing valve to get more hot water, and instead it got colder. Found that the cold/hot lines to the valve were reversed at the factory. 5 minutes to switch, and we've had steamy hot water for the past 4 years.

Old 12-07-2022, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:

Tags
ace, aqua-hot, propane, replace