Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #15
3x5

Thank you everyone for your advice.

I spoke to a tech guy at Trojan and another tech guy at a reputable solar place, and a few others. Everyone confirms that the new battery will just be brought down to the level of the old batteries. There should be no harm to the old batteries.

For my situation I think it is best to replace the one battery with a new one (about $250). Then I will be back where I started from. In a couple of years I will have to replace the whole set, probably with lithiums.

Thanks again.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2021, 07:41 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I would, but I think over time the new battery's life will be decreased to what the old batteries life.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 10:57 PM   #17
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtJoyce View Post
I would, but I think over time the new battery's life will be decreased to what the old batteries life.

Exactly.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:54 PM   #18

Alpine Owners Club
I would replace just the one battery and manage it as well as the others. You are correct that you will get less life out of the new battery but the good news is that you will get 3-5 years more out of the existing batteries, based on how you use/maintain them.

Then I would start saving for LiFePO4 batteries as they will make even more sense in a few years from all perspectives
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 12:44 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Battery lifespan isn't measured in years, it's amp hours delivered.
OT, really, but I just wanted to applaud this. It's not "cycles", it's total aH.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:41 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post

Battery lifespan isn't measured in years, it's amp hours delivered.

Mark B.

Albuquerque, NM
Not that is refreshing to read instead of the usual myths!
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 01:50 PM   #21
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
I would replace just the one battery and manage it as well as the others. You are correct that you will get less life out of the new battery but the good news is that you will get 3-5 years more out of the existing batteries, based on how you use/maintain them.

Then I would start saving for LiFePO4 batteries as they will make even more sense in a few years from all perspectives

That's what I've concluded.

I can't justify throwing away or trying to sell 5 batteries. I'll still have 780 amps, and they have been working great.

And the lithiums are just going to get better and cheaper.
Old 07-21-2021, 02:41 PM   #22

Here's my experience replacing one battery. I fulltime and have had 1050 watts of solar for about 15 years.

The coach came with 6 six-volt Interstate golf cart batteries, installed in mid-2002. One of the batteries went bad in June 2005--no clue why, and it wasn't damaged. I replaced just that one, at three years old.

Then in August 2010 I replaced the entire bank. I got 8 years out of them, even with replacing just one battery in the bank at 3 years.

I'd do the same thing again.
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 03:18 PM   #23
3x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Here's my experience replacing one battery. I fulltime and have had 1050 watts of solar for about 15 years.

The coach came with 6 six-volt Interstate golf cart batteries, installed in mid-2002. One of the batteries went bad in June 2005--no clue why, and it wasn't damaged. I replaced just that one, at three years old.

Then in August 2010 I replaced the entire bank. I got 8 years out of them, even with replacing just one battery in the bank at 3 years.

I'd do the same thing again.

Thank you, Oatmeal! That is exactly what I was looking for. I am now absolutely confident in changing out the one battery.
Old 07-22-2021, 07:56 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just another point of note, even batteries with the same "born on" date are all slightly different in their characteristics (internal impedance, capacity) and typically will only diverge further from there over time. So a "mature" pack of six will have six different results when tested singly. To be sure, dropping a brand new battery into a bank with a few hundred cycles on it will be comparatively a large disparity and depending on the charge profile impressed on the set going forward it will have more or less of a deleterious effect on the bank as a whole. Just making the point that even among banks that start out the same end up with weak and strong working in concert anyway so the idea of "imbalancing" a bank with a new battery isn't quite as significant as some might believe. Over time and cycles that battery will become closer to it's bank-mates and while it will never get to the point of matching them it keeps the others in service, which is your only chance of getting the Ah you paid for. Since there are so few instances where ideal performance is paramount, you take the compromise, run out the clock and odds are you'll still make out OK.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 09:45 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3x5 View Post
Thank you, Oatmeal! That is exactly what I was looking for. I am now absolutely confident in changing out the one battery.
I hope it works out for you as well as it did for me. I was really nervous going against the usual advice.

Now, can I interest you in some naysaying about using a Pro-Fill watering system where you can't tell if it's working unless you remove the caps to check the levels, and the reason you get a Pro-Fill is so you don't have to remove the caps to add water?
oatmeal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, battery, replace