Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2019, 02:41 PM   #1

Replace our A&E power awning with Carefree

Our existing Dometic power awning is now 9 years old with a brand new motor ($625). Now appears the control box needs replacing. Have found one for less than $300 shipped. Pro Shades is offering me a new Carefree electric for $700 installed (special deal with me for other issues on our acrylic fabric). I would loose the remote and would require a relocation of the control switch.

But it would be a whole new system using my existing nearly new acrylic fabric with a two year warranty, but not sure whether the additional $425 would be worth it. Or should I just replace the control box and stay with the AE system?

Suggestions recommended. Thanks.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:21 PM   #2

Gama Products RF12VPR-ASL .....Check it out....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:24 PM   #3

You couldn't loose the remote with yours and just use an in/out switch? If they can do it for the new one, you should be able to do your old one. Power has to come into the control panel and go out to the awning. Connect the two with a switch. But I could be wrong.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:50 PM   #4

I bypassed the control panel using 6 pole toggle mounted in the side of the box. Works flawlessly. Aldo controls my step awning, just change the plug in, for now.
gerdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdutch View Post
I bypassed the control panel using 6 pole toggle mounted in the side of the box. Works flawlessly. Aldo controls my step awning, just change the plug in, for now.
Please tell me more! The control box is very accessible just above my LP and behind a compartment door near entry. I think the problem with the control box is the disable which prevents accidental deployment when driving as well as retracting the awning upon ignition. The awning worked but once stowed will not extend due to disabled.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:39 AM   #6

Wbonsell, i will try to provide a photo of the current setup. Put simply, you have several set of wires goin into the box , luckily they have connectors near the box. Find the one going to you Awning and the one Going to your step, if you have one. Then find the power going into your box. Ill try to find the diagram, originally foundvit on iRV or another forum.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:42 AM   #7

Wbonsell, i also maually swich the connector from P.Awning to Step Awning. So the Step has has no bearing on the six pole
Old 01-03-2019, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerdutch View Post
Wbonsell, i also maually swich the connector from P.Awning to Step Awning. So the Step has has no bearing on the six pole
Pretty sure my step has no connection to the Dometic control box. I’ve read several negative reviews of the Carefree Eclipse system. Thinking of just replacing the control box for $268 shipped and keep my existing system but having Shade Pro replace my loose acrylic which leaks with a vinyl awning which would be water proof
Old 01-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #9

Whatever you decide, wish you happy days!

Tags
ace, awning, power, replace