Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replacement microwave for Dometic mike/convection?

Our Dometic DOTRC17B Microwave Convection has expired. I did remove it to check the fuse. Fuse is good. It is from 2008 so time to replace. Ideally I'd like to find a direct replacement LG. There are a few identical models that fit and I would like to find one if possible. Has anybody done this? We go down some bumpy roads and I am nervous about improvising a mount or installing an uncertain one.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Kahoona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2021, 12:21 PM   #2

I have not done a Dometic, but I did just recently do a Sharp. The new one is a R-1874 and it replaced a earlier model Sharp that was from 1998. That one still worked, but the plastic control panel had cracked and was hanging a little loose.

On my coach the area behind the convection microwave is reinforced with plywood and the mounting plate is screwed to the plywood.

This is just under a 30 inch microwave to fit a 30 inch space. There are 2 long diagonal screws that go through the microwave from the bottom front corners into the mounting plate on the upper back corners. Then two screws from the overhead cabinet hold the front top of the to the cabinet.

Mine lasted 23 years so I think I got my money out of it.

One warning about my new one, I had to squeeze the sides of the microwave case with a clamp and then re-tighten the screws so the microwave case would fit into the mount. Not ideal, but it did fit at that point.
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:21 AM   #3

I too replaced the old Sharp in our coach and luckily I found the exact same one to replace it with.
One word of advice when replacing the device is check out exactly how the door opens and how it interacts with the side walls. More than one person here has found out after the fact that the door wouldn't work on the new one.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:27 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
I too replaced the old Sharp in our coach and luckily I found the exact same one to replace it with.
One word of advice when replacing the device is check out exactly how the door opens and how it interacts with the side walls. More than one person here has found out after the fact that the door wouldn't work on the new one.
I almost had to replace my MagicChef since it stopped heating. Removed it and found that one of the spade lugs to the magnetron had over heated. Cleaned it up, squeezed it down a little and it now works. Not whistling past the graveyard here. Who knows how long? I consider it practice for a total replacement which I could now do in 20 minutes. Virtually all of the 30" over the range microwaves and microwave convection ovens would have fit. Screws go down from the overhead cabinet and bracket is screwed to the wall behind it. Seems to be plywood in the wall for reinforcement.

On my rig there is a wall to the right of the oven and since most units have control panels on the right any one would clear the wall. If the opposite is true on yours, make sure the door will clear as some of the OPs have indicated.
Sbrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:32 AM   #5

where can I find a replacement microwave that has the diagonal screws that hold the oven in place. household ovens do not have this feature. I learned that after replacing my oven and it pulled the overhead cabinet floor down.
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 07:43 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by W5CI View Post
where can I find a replacement microwave that has the diagonal screws that hold the oven in place. household ovens do not have this feature. I learned that after replacing my oven and it pulled the overhead cabinet floor down.
can't tell about your unit. Mine has a 1x3 below the "floor" in the overhead cabinet, then another piece of material below that. Without that the 1/8 floor would never hold anything...as you can attest to. You could also put a piece of heavier material across the bottom of the cabinet floor that spans the opening and is supported by the structural member at the sides.
Old 09-26-2021, 08:10 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
THanks. I got ours out and it has the "slightly reinforced" cabinet bottom above ans 2 long screws that go through the cabinet floor into the microwave top. I think that is standard though I may have to relocate the reinforcements. The back plate is held on to a plywood wall reinforcement with 36 screws! I am assuming that I will have to swap that out for a new plate. It's doable. No way to tell if the door will open but the old one projected out an inch from the cabinet so as long as the depth is the same I should be OK.

Looks like I won't be able to find a newer version of the original that will fit the old hardware. There are no places around here that have any of these to show. All of them must be ordered online, even from the home despot. Delivery scheduling is extremely loose and cannot be guaranteed within a week either way. Probably go Amazon.
33' 2008 National Tropical on a Freightliner chassis.We tow a 2001 XJ (Cherokee) RVM#189
Old 09-26-2021, 08:15 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Before I fixed my Magic Chef I was going to put in a microwave/convection oven but I guess they aren't that popular since nobody stocks them!

My bracket is held by maybe 8 screws. No reason for more than that!
Old 09-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #9

I recently installed a Dometic DCMC11B.F to replace a RecPro High Pointe (DOA) that replaced another High Pointe that died at 13 months that replaced a Panasonic vintage 1993. All fit in the same hole, resting on a board on the bottom the cabinet, all secured by screws through the trim ring. I ordered the Dometic from Walmart. These are "in-cabinet" units rather than the wider "over the range" units.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:22 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I recently installed a Dometic DCMC11B.F to replace a RecPro High Pointe (DOA) that replaced another High Pointe that died at 13 months that replaced a Panasonic vintage 1993. All fit in the same hole, resting on a board on the bottom the cabinet, all secured by screws through the trim ring. I ordered the Dometic from Walmart. These are "in-cabinet" units rather than the wider "over the range" units.

I was considering making a shelf across the bottom and neatly finishing it off, then setting a counter top mike convection oven in it. Screws would be run up through the shelf and replacing the screws that held the feet on for a secure hold down. Then to fabricate simple back and or top mounts that would not show from the front to keep it from moving around. In the end it just seemed easier to but a direct replacement for the old huge lump and put it in the same way. I might regret it but what the heck!
Old 09-26-2021, 10:40 AM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Our 4 yr old GE convection microwave failed. Turntable did not turn and no heat.

I removed the cover and found an envelope on the inner case that included detailed trouble shooting instructions.

I then tested the three door switches for continuity by following the instructions.

The control switch did not pass. New switch ordered for $6 from Amazon.

Cheaper than the $750 replacement oven cost which would arrive earliest on Nov 15.

I will report Tuesday on the effect of the replacement switch.

(note I did the same repair on another Microwave Convection oven about 10 years ago.)
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:25 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahoona View Post
I was considering making a shelf across the bottom and neatly finishing it off, then setting a counter top mike convection oven in it. Screws would be run up through the shelf and replacing the screws that held the feet on for a secure hold down. Then to fabricate simple back and or top mounts that would not show from the front to keep it from moving around. In the end it just seemed easier to but a direct replacement for the old huge lump and put it in the same way. I might regret it but what the heck!
I did the same in an old Class C that had no micro. I also took a small piece of quarter-round and put it across the front bottom just to be sure.

My Bounder micro was ready to fall out on the test drive and the dealer "repaired" it. It failed and I also "repaired" it but still shook around. My second repair I added two legs from some chrome tubing I had. Made them to fold up but the wife doesn't bother with putting them up. Bonus was that it blocks the air fryer and coffee pot while traveling.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:35 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
Our 4 yr old GE convection microwave failed. Turntable did not turn and no heat.

I removed the cover and found an envelope on the inner case that included detailed trouble shooting instructions.

I then tested the three door switches for continuity by following the instructions.

The control switch did not pass. New switch ordered for $6 from Amazon.

Cheaper than the $750 replacement oven cost which would arrive earliest on Nov 15.

I will report Tuesday on the effect of the replacement switch.

(note I did the same repair on another Microwave Convection oven about 10 years ago.)

Wow! Sweet deal! Dometic has the troubleshooting instructions in the shop manual. Everything i could replace was good. Waiting for our our new "whatever it is" brand replacement sometimes between Sept 7 and whenever.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:38 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post

My Bounder micro was ready to fall out on the test drive and the dealer "repaired" it. It failed and I also "repaired" it but still shook around..

Yes. Happened to us. That was the point when we realized that this RV might not be so carefully constructed after all. I looked back and the built in nuke was half way out of its hole! That was wback when we had the Coachmen.

Tags
ace, dometic, microwave, replace, replacement