Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2006, 11:42 AM   #1

I have long wanted a programable thermostat (or at least a better quality one) for my Coleman basement heat pump (2002 Alph 5th wheel). The several threads here about Hunter thermostats did not appear to apply to this 2-stage unit.

Recently I came across an article (www://klenger.net/artic-fox/TH5220D_T-Stat/index,html) about a Honeywell thermostat, which looks like it should work - actually I'm looking at the TH6220D which is the programable version. Has anyone attempted connecting this unit to the Coleman "Two-Ton Plus" basement Heat Pump?

The main issue I worried about is the two "Freeze" connections from the Heat Pump which are not supported by the TH6220. As I understand it, these are relay contacts in the Heat Pump which open if the coils freeze up, and the thermostat uses this to prevent the Y1 and Y2 (compressor) relays from energizing. My idea is to connect one of the "F" wires to +12 and the other to the coil of a double-pole relay, with the poles connected inline with the Y1 and Y2 wires. This would block activation of the compressors when "freeze" is active, i.e., open.

Any A/C/Heat Pump experts out there care to comment?
jspande is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2006, 11:42 AM   #2

I have long wanted a programable thermostat (or at least a better quality one) for my Coleman basement heat pump (2002 Alph 5th wheel). The several threads here about Hunter thermostats did not appear to apply to this 2-stage unit.

Recently I came across an article (www://klenger.net/artic-fox/TH5220D_T-Stat/index,html) about a Honeywell thermostat, which looks like it should work - actually I'm looking at the TH6220D which is the programable version. Has anyone attempted connecting this unit to the Coleman "Two-Ton Plus" basement Heat Pump?

The main issue I worried about is the two "Freeze" connections from the Heat Pump which are not supported by the TH6220. As I understand it, these are relay contacts in the Heat Pump which open if the coils freeze up, and the thermostat uses this to prevent the Y1 and Y2 (compressor) relays from energizing. My idea is to connect one of the "F" wires to +12 and the other to the coil of a double-pole relay, with the poles connected inline with the Y1 and Y2 wires. This would block activation of the compressors when "freeze" is active, i.e., open.

Any A/C/Heat Pump experts out there care to comment?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:50 PM   #3

Since there have been a number of reads and no replies, I'm guessing that there is some interest and no experience out there. So here's a follow-up.

I went ahead an purchased the Honeywell TH6220D which is the programable unit for "up to 2 heat/2 cool systems". I thought that was the right model since the heat pump, while 2 stage in cool mode, operates as 1 stage in heat since it always turns on both compressors in heat mode. That was a mistake however, since that model then provides no means of turning it on for gas furnace only. Apparently I should have gotten the model TH6320U, which is the "3 heate/2 cool" model.

Anyway, I went ahead and installed it for just AC and gas furnace, since I'm having problems with the heat pump operation anyway (I suspect a sticking reversing valve which requires going in to the dealer 100 miles away for repair so I'm reluctant to risk any more testing - it currently works fine in AC). Also only using the AC eliminates any issue with coil freeze-up.

The good new I can report is that it works great. It's amazing how much better it is than the "RVComfort" unit. It regulates temperature much better, and the controls are easy to operate (that 4-position slide switch on the RVComfort is the pits), plus being programable. It's sooo nice to be able to set back the temp to 65 at night and still get out of bed next morning in 72 degree comfort.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspande View Post
Since there have been a number of reads and no replies, I'm guessing that there is some interest and no experience out there. So here's a follow-up.

I went ahead an purchased the Honeywell TH6220D which is the programable unit for "up to 2 heat/2 cool systems". I thought that was the right model since the heat pump, while 2 stage in cool mode, operates as 1 stage in heat since it always turns on both compressors in heat mode. That was a mistake however, since that model then provides no means of turning it on for gas furnace only. Apparently I should have gotten the model TH6320U, which is the "3 heate/2 cool" model.

Anyway, I went ahead and installed it for just AC and gas furnace, since I'm having problems with the heat pump operation anyway (I suspect a sticking reversing valve which requires going in to the dealer 100 miles away for repair so I'm reluctant to risk any more testing - it currently works fine in AC). Also only using the AC eliminates any issue with coil freeze-up.

The good new I can report is that it works great. It's amazing how much better it is than the "RVComfort" unit. It regulates temperature much better, and the controls are easy to operate (that 4-position slide switch on the RVComfort is the pits), plus being programable. It's sooo nice to be able to set back the temp to 65 at night and still get out of bed next morning in 72 degree comfort.
I'm assuming that when you did this you wide it so the fan speed is always high, and no longer have a fan high/low setting?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvleemin View Post
I'm assuming that when you did this you wide it so the fan speed is always high, and no longer have a fan high/low setting?
Yes