Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 PM   #1

Replacing all 3 capacitors on A/C units

Final stages of going FT and since our A/C units and capacitors are 5 going on 6 years old, I bought all 3 new capacitors for each unit and plan on replacing them this weekend.

My question is:
To avoid any shock from the existing old capacitors while I'm installing the new ones that are installed now on the A/C units, should I just discharge the existing capacitors by touching the posts with a screwdriver BEFORE I remove the wires one at a time, OR remove the wires one at a time first, place wires on the new capacitors and then discharge the old ones and set them aside?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coil-1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	166817  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2017, 09:07 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"marjoa"......They could last another ten years. Why not keep them as spares until one of the units quit. If you decide to replace them, transfer the wires first and then discharge the old ones. Shorting them with wires attached could be problematic.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Final stages of going FT and since our A/C units and capacitors are 5 going on 6 years old, I bought all 3 new capacitors for each unit and plan on replacing them this weekend.

My question is:
To avoid any shock from the existing old capacitors while I'm installing the new ones that are installed now on the A/C units, should I just discharge the existing capacitors by touching the posts with a screwdriver BEFORE I remove the wires one at a time, OR remove the wires one at a time first, place wires on the new capacitors and then discharge the old ones and set them aside?
Mine are still going strong and they are the originals. Why not just keep spares for now?
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
"marjoa"......They could last another ten years. Why not keep them as spares until one of the units quit. If you decide to replace them, transfer the wires first and then discharge the old ones. Shorting them with wires attached could be problematic.
I am no expert at electricity, but I was under the impression you should discharge the capacitors before touching/disconnecting the wires, that would prevent you from being shocked, I understand about the possible problem with discharging them when attached.

Agree with everyone else as leaving them in place, until you need one. Just my opinion, replacing capacitors are not preventive maintenance, but having them on hand is a smart thing.
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:24 AM   #5

If you are worried about them failing, get a set to replace them as a backup and go by the theory, "If it's working, don't fart with it".

spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 04:35 AM   #6

Ok, ok I leave them as spares for now. But hey, I still need to know how to change them out when they do go bad.

So my original question still stands.
Old 06-29-2017, 04:46 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Staying at KOA Salome AZ. Thru The Summer, & Loving It..
Send a message via AIM to Bilgerat
I was told the same thing, if it's not broke... Good advice.
Here is a video that was shared on here a few months ago, long but gives a lot of information.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:53 AM   #8

Yes short them with a screwdriver before touching them, obviously disconnected from shore power and do not run the generator
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:33 AM   #9

Great video to understand how the A/C works and draws power to different sources and how to run A/C with a under sized generator. Not helpful though in my situation. Thanks for the link.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
If you are worried about them failing, get a set to replace them as a backup and go by the theory, "If it's working, don't fart with it".

I love it! Wish I had that when I was in the working world!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 06:33 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Make sure there is no AC power in the coach.

Use your screwdriver or a short jumper wire and short across the terminals and short to the can. You may or may not get a spark. This will discharge the capacitors and you should be able to handle them safely.

When I do a time change on any components, i.e. capacitors, starter, alternator, water pumps, hoses, plugs, etc. I always keep the old part in my spare parts box. This guarantees I will never need it.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Ok, ok I leave them as spares for now. But hey, I still need to know how to change them out when they do go bad.

So my original question still stands.
I've always discharged capacitors before removing any wiring. Never had a problem doing it this way. One thing's for sure, doing it first certainly reduces the risk of me inadvertently getting the discharge.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:10 AM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Flashback to autoshop class. Working car engines mounted on stands. Adjusting the timing by twisting the distributor cap while your partner pointed the timing gun at the flywheel. Twisting was fine until I put my other hand on the engine mount stand. I swear I can still taste the metal fillings in my teeth.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 08:15 AM   #14

For future reference, discharging a capacitor with a screwdriver is not the correct way to do it. Using a screwdriver can destroy the capacitor and/or cause personal injury. The correct today is with a bleeder resistor. I have a 10K ohm resistor with alligator clip leads for discharging capacitors.
Deep Water D is offline   Reply With Quote