Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #1

Replacing capacitors in 25 yr old a/c unit as maintenance ?

Found a small leak around the mounting gasket and wondering if I should replace the start and run capacitors while I have everything open to replace the gasket ?
The A/C cools just fine though it seems to occasionally struggle to start when on the generator, especially when the outdoor temps are hot.

What do you all think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 02:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickNC View Post
Found a small leak around the mounting gasket and wondering if I should replace the start and run capacitors while I have everything open to replace the gasket ?
The A/C cools just fine though it seems to occasionally struggle to start when on the generator, especially when the outdoor temps are hot.

What do you all think?

While you're on the roof and inside the unit? Sure, do it now. If the caps are original equipment you've gotten great service from them. Replace them before the fail.
Old 10-25-2020, 04:43 PM   #3

Agree.
They do go bad. If you are willing to replace go for it.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 05:03 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Good Information

Thanks for the A/C maintenance information. Has not happened yet but I have the same units and its just a matter of time..
Kosovocop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I would at least have a spare in my toolkit.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #6

The capacitors built 25 years ago were built much better than today. If you do swap out as maintenance I would keep the originals as spares.
asuperheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by asuperheat View Post
The capacitors built 25 years ago were built much better than today. If you do swap out as maintenance I would keep the originals as spares.
X2.

I wouldn’t mess with the old ones. They had different chemistry that lasts.
Jkwilson1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:

What do you all think?
You can add a hard start cap to start. They added them to my AC units at the house when I had backup Generator installed
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 06:18 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

What do you all think?
I would invest in a meter that measures capacitance to see what condition they are in. As Gary suggested, carry spares. If the A/C quit on a hot day that may require throwing parts at it but not as preventative maintenance.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:30 AM   #10

I would leave them alone. The don't make parts like they used to and if they have lasted this long, you have some really good ones.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Capacitators are good or bad and no in between. I would leave them if they are working. As noted, the newer ones are not as good as the old ones.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:09 AM   #12

I appreciate the replies and opinions.
I talked to my A/C guy yesterday who is coming Friday to service the mini-splits in the house. He also services RV A/C for the local dealers. He recommends replacing them at this age,but only with either AmRad or BMI capacitors which are both US manufactured. Like most every other electronic components the vast majority are now made in China with a wide range of quality and usually no way to differentiate.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #13

If it ain't broke don't fix it
Old 10-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I replaced mine as preventative when I had the cover off to wash the condenser. $20 in preventative maintenance and I kept an old set as a spare just incase.
miatawnt2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance