Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2020, 09:35 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Replacing Hot Water Heater

I still have not pulled my RV from storage but I am trying to do a little research on putting in a new hot water heater. Dumb question - how do you access the water and electrical fittings on the back of the unit? I assume it is accessible from the basement??
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #2

Not sure where your W/H is located , but mine ( motor home details in signature line) is beside a basement door and sits on the basement floor ; two closer panels had to be removed for access to the connections .

Note: The water connections have a replaceable , tapered seal ring , that should be replaced any time you remove the fittings ( $0.40 each ) be sure you have them handy for your install.

Or like me you'll be back in to fix a leak.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #3

Locate the outside WH Compartment.....then locate inside where that compartment is.

Access can be via floor panel, a wall panel, a panel you have to remove from under the RV, a panel on sidewall in compartment next to WH OR you may have to pull water heater to access backside

WHY do you NEED to replace it?
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Mine is just to the left of the water tanks about chest high, so not on the floor.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBnd View Post
Mine is just to the left of the water tanks about chest high, so not on the floor.
Any indication in your owners manual on access to the rear of the W/H to get to the winterizing valves ? Panel to remove ?

From your description , I'm thinking it's on the living area floor , not the basement floor like mine.
Old 04-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think mine is just under the floor level behind the shower. I will check the bathroom but I am thinking the basement is the only logical location.

I will check my manual, but mine doesn't have much if any information like this in it.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoBnd View Post
I think mine is just under the floor level behind the shower. I will check the bathroom but I am thinking the basement is the only logical location.

I will check my manual, but mine doesn't have much if any information like this in it.

And WHY do you NEED to replace the Water Heater?

Tank leaking .....OK
Not heating...find/fix issue
Cheaper and usually a lot easier then replacing it

Just curious WHY??
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 01:38 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I know, everyone wants to know why. We can travel with friends and we typically want to take showers at roughly the same time. If have electric and propane going at the same time, we almost always run out after 2 persons take showers. And then you have to wait. I tuned up the suburban last year with new elements and cleaned everything, but the same result.

We want to go to an on-demand heater for those reasons.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater