Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2011, 10:42 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Replacing MW with Mw-convection

Does anyone know if you can replace a MW oven with a combo MW-convection one?
I have a Damon Daybreak and would love to do so. Is the heat from the convection an issue?
Ridgmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2011, 11:17 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We ordered our DSDP with an Advantium 120 convection/microwave. It's vented to the outside and we've never had any problems with it other than if there's low voltage it takes a LOT longer to cook than normal.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
A word of caution:
I have replaced two microwaves with convection types, one in my last motor home and one in my present unit.
I would highly recommend getting the "build-in kit" for whatever brand microwave/convection you get.
In convection mode, convection micros get much hotter than the standard ones. When it was first installed, the temp behind mine got up to 200 degrees F after 45 minutes in convection mode.
I did not get the build-in kit for my first installation and went through a lot of hassle getting the temp behind the unit down to a reasonable level. I ended up adding a grill above the microwave and an exhaust fan blowing air through the side of the motor home. This involved a lot of work and cutting through the side of the motor home.

The second time I got the kit and the job was much easier. There was additional sheet metal in the kit that formed ducts to move air in from the front and back out the front. It also came with decorative grills that make the installation look like it came from the factory with the unit already in place.

Note that there are some minimum clearances in back and on the sides that must be met. You should make sure the convection micro you buy is small enough to allow for the proper clearances.

The one I installed in my present motor home is a Sharp Carousel Grill 2 Convection R-820-BK (the BK stands for black, I think WT will denote a white one).
The dimensions are 20 1/2(w) X 12 1/8(h) X 19 3/4(d).

It was a little too deep but we (DW really) got a little creative and figured out how to trim the sheet metal on the build-in ducts so they fit behind the supplied grills. Also had to move a junction box on the back wall behind the microwave a few inches over.
It looks like a factory installation.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:32 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Thank you. Good to know and hope to replace next season. Will have a pro do as way too much for me to tackle. I use my MW every trip and really want the conv adv.
Ridgmar is offline   Reply With Quote