Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2021, 10:08 PM   #1

Replacing on-board gen set in Class A

We have been thinking about replacing our current Onan Emerald 5000 with a suitable inverter gen set. Several have electrical and/or remote starting. What would be involved to directly wire the gen set to replace the battery in the gen set? How would one hard-wire the 40+ amps through the automatic transfer switch like the current Onan is?

To be clear, this is only in the "considering the possibilities" phase. This may not be possible nor desirable. What say you greatest RV sounding board on the internet?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I guess you know your Onan is an inverter?
Old 04-22-2021, 12:44 AM   #3

Tinstar - I did not know that because a. It's sounds so loud to be an inverter; and b. I have seen no reference to it being an inverter in the manual. This Onan is in a 2000 yr model and is fairly open framed, so that may account for the noise. We do have fresh 2" batts lining the gen set bay, but that only quiets somewhat the interior and keeps the interior somewhat cooler.

I have seen that Onan has newer QG models that are supposed to be quieter at about 65-70 dbs, but again I don't read that they are inverters.

Anyway, we generally only use it for A/C while travelling down the road and not when set-up in a CG, so it's not a real issue until we stop, say for a driving break to walk around or to eat at a roadside rest area.

Thanks for the info, we'll definitely keep that in mind if we do indeed decide to upgrade.
Old 04-22-2021, 05:40 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
If it is an inverter generator it will idle down when there is no load on it and slowly ramp up as more load is drawn. If it is not it will run at full throttle all the time. All the QG line should be inverter style.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 12:42 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by peggwn View Post
Tinstar - I did not know that because a. It's sounds so loud to be an inverter; and b. I have seen no reference to it being an inverter in the manual. This Onan is in a 2000 yr model and is fairly open framed, so that may account for the noise. We do have fresh 2" batts lining the gen set bay, but that only quiets somewhat the interior and keeps the interior somewhat cooler.

I have seen that Onan has newer QG models that are supposed to be quieter at about 65-70 dbs, but again I don't read that they are inverters.

Anyway, we generally only use it for A/C while travelling down the road and not when set-up in a CG, so it's not a real issue until we stop, say for a driving break to walk around or to eat at a roadside rest area.

Thanks for the info, we'll definitely keep that in mind if we do indeed decide to upgrade.
You may be right. I've just not seen an RV Onan that wasn't an inverter type. The age doesn't make any difference. I've seen some way older than yours and I had on 10 years older that was.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar 1114 View Post
I guess you know your Onan is an inverter?
Onan didn't make an inverter generator back then.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 04:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
If it is an inverter generator it will idle down when there is no load on it and slowly ramp up as more load is drawn. If it is not it will run at full throttle all the time. All the QG line should be inverter style.
No inverter generator in that year RV.
Old 04-23-2021, 04:19 AM   #8

Your original Onan is not an inverter style generator. Besides, finding a gas, inverter generator more then 3500 watts is challenging and expensive.

You need to address fuel, ehxaust and coolling alignment, if you want to install a portable generator in an on board position.

Most portables use gravity feed on the fuel, your Onan has a fuel pump.
Old 04-23-2021, 06:59 AM   #9

I lloked at doing that when my original genset stopped working and the two biggest problems I found was the fuel supply and exhaust. Most exhaust on the the inverters are compact and usually end right at the housing of the inverter.
Old 04-23-2021, 05:43 PM   #10

Twinboat and Craig1960 - Those are the very issues I was hoping to find out about, as well as how to supply the coach with the output. So, has anyone actually replaced an older Onan for a newer inverter-style? How does one address adding a fuel pump, or extend the exhaust? The exhaust is probably a simple extension and then added tail pipe. The fuel pump may be a matter of pulling the existing and reconfiguring for a new gen set. I don't know how the power cable would be installed, but I'm sure somebody here will have some great insight.

While Onan does now have larger inverter-style gen sets that are enclosed-frame (very quiet), for a lot less, so do Lifan, Champion, Predator (Harbor Freight), and others. For example, Lifan's offering is 4000/3800 w/remote and pull start, 30 amp RV outlet which is right at 32.8 amps, runs at 59Db, and costs $1117; a tad lower amps but they also have 7000/6500 w/remote and 30 amp RV outlet for $1908.

Maybe there will be more worth looking at once we figure out if our gen set is still viable, and then we'll assess our financial situation.
Old 04-24-2021, 07:44 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Onan didn't make an inverter generator back then.

I don't know but they certainly made one in '94. That's what's in my old m/h.

Tags
class a