Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2022, 05:13 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Replacing Pins on Slideout Controller Board Connector

I couldn't retract my front drivers side slide when leaving our last campground. In the process of isolating the problem, two of the small control wires (one from each side's connector) broke off at the pin. They didn't pull out, both actually broke where the insulation stops at the pin. (Drivers side was the retract wire, passengers side was the extend.)

Can I pull out the existing (bad) pins from the connectors and install new pins? I should probably replace the other direction on both connectors while I'm at it, because they were exposed to whatever corroded the failed ones.

Here's a picture (if I do it right) that shows the missing wire.

I also had a control board fail (relay stuck on extend). This one was easy to troubleshoot; I just swapped the connectors and the trouble stayed with the bad board. I've ordered a replacement board, but I'm worried that when I loosen the mounting screws there will be blind nuts behind the panel. I have no confidence that I have the ability to loosen that whole panel to get my hand around to hold the nut for removal and installation. Any suggestions? I've also included a closer shot of the controller to show the mounting screws.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Ctrl Board conn missing yellow.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	377795   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slideout Ctrl Board cropped.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	377796  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2022, 07:28 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Yes, you can replace the pins. Google "molex plug replacement pins". Here is one example from Digikey.

Then google "molex pin extractor tool" and get something like this.

You may need a crimper like this to crimp the wires onto the molex pin(s) - they aren't soldered.

I wouldn't worry about hidden nuts behind those screws. But you can carefully and slowly back one screw out to see how it is fastened.
Old 10-03-2022, 07:16 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You've got a bad connection on the fuse, take out and scrap clean. Then spray with contact cleaner. Then apply dielectric grease to prevent reoccurance.
Old 10-04-2022, 05:06 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Good Start

Thanks, Dawg. I picked up the extractor you linked at Advantage Auto, and ordered a Knoweasy crimper from Amazon. I'll wait until I extract a pin before I get replacements, just to be sure I get the correct size and gender. Probably get a couple of dozen to make sure I have enough to practice with, use, and keep as spare. Guess I'll have to locate my calipers from somewhere in my toolbox so I get the right size.

Fiesta, thanks for your input. In this case, it can't be a fuse problem. The way my system works uses 6 wires:
4 LARGE WIRES
+12V to relays
Ground to relays
Two to motor

2 SMALL WIRES
+12V from switch in the house, one carrying "retract" and one carrying "extend" signal voltage to the relays.

The relays provide power and ground to the motor, switching polarity to match the request from the switch in the house.

My slides work one way but not the other, so it can't be a fuse. In addition, the broken-off wires are almost certainly the cause in both cases.

However, it is ironic that I did fix two problems by reseating fuses just last week. One was the over-cab orange clearance lights fused in one of the Freightliner fuse blocks in the rear of the coach, the other was on the Tiffin fuse block up front and protected the dash fans.
Old 11-10-2022, 04:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Problem Resolved

I just wanted to report my fix for this problem, and add some of what I learned doing it. I made three new pin and wire assemblies (2 for the driver side and 1 for the passenger side, and replaced the original crimp connections with solder and shrink wrap. I wasted a few pins getting the knack of using the Molex crimp tool, but had plenty to spare. I made up a couple of short jumper assemblies for practice that will bypass the board and signal wiring should I have this trouble again.

The pins were female 2.13mm (0.084"). I originally ordered 2.36mm (0.093"), and they were just a skoch too big. In both cases, the pins I bought were in strips, connected together with thin metal. I had to figure out how to cut the strips off so the pin would fit into the connector.

While I was testing, the passenger's side board also failed. I ordered and installed another board, then transplanted a relay from the passenger side retract to the driver side extend, and discarded the leftover board. The repaired board is now a tested spare.

Thanks to Dawg for getting me started on the right foot. You were right about the mounting screws not being a problem.
Old 11-10-2022, 06:08 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Sounds like things worked out well. Good for you! Thanks for the update.

Tags
controller, slide, slideout