RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2015, 10:26 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZaficionado View Post

What are the advantages of a residential fridge?
Here are some that come to mind after switching to a residential over 3 years ago.

Never having to deal with NotSoCold temps in the fridge and freezer.
Not having to throw out spoiled food every week especially the milk.
Not having to worry about a fridge door falling off onto the floor.
Not having to defrost the two freezer compartments every month.
Having real ice cubes instead of one big block of ice cubes stuck together.
Enjoying really cold beverages anytime.
Enjoying really frozen hard ice cream.
50% more storage.
Less power consumption and no LPG needed.
Larger shelves and bins that hold large tall items.
Not having to worry about a possible fire from hydrogen gas and total loss of property.
Resale value of coach is higher.
A better RV Lifestyle for full-time living.

So that's just a few that come to mind. I am sure I could come up with more.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2015, 11:00 PM   #16

When it comes to a coach fire on gas or electric and they had it on electric, it just takes minutes and everything is gone. Just read the post by anotherone This is just one persons story but it only takes one time
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/recal...ed-177590.html
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:01 AM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our norcold 4 door did catch fire, I was sitting watching tv, kids were asleep, I heard the fridge beep and it said no ac. Went out side cause the food would go bad overnight, to check it out. I pulled off the access panel saw flames and grabbed an extinguisher. Fortunately I caught it when I did. Despite that experience we have absorption in our new rig. I really wanted a residential fridge, but it boiled down to space, even the factory installed residential stuck out 4" past the counter. We can have hard ice cream but we then have slushy soda and frozen lettuce. I hate absorbtion, but it works.
Erlingiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 AM   #18

Res all the way!!! Threw the not so cold to the dump and went res and oh so happy. All reasons above!!!
stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:47 AM   #19
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mfgt's are opting for Residential Fridges because a large segment of RV'ers only stay at parks with shore power.

The engine powers a charging system while driving...then they stop and hook-up.
No need for more batteries, no propane needed, it works when not perfectly level, and the juice is usually free when camping.

But, a retrofit means pulling the windshield to get it in the coach and the cabinet work, so not so great for those on a budget.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Put in a Samsung 2 years ago when the Dometic lost ammonia. A lot more costly to repair it than to put in a new residential. There probably is a max on characters I can write here so I will forego all of the positives as they would be too long. The only negative is getting the old absorption out and the res. in with some remodel work. I did the remodel and saved a lot. After that, all is good.

If I boondocked a lot (which I don't), I would add some solar panels to the roof or run the genset occasionally to make up for any electrical usage of which the fridge would be minimal. The sat., TV, etc. pull more amps than the fridge. I have 4 6v house batteries and have had no issues while driving or parked for a while.

One of these days, I think just about all better coaches will come with residential fridges. My Samsung has been running constantly for 2 years with zero issues and rock hard ice cream in the freezer (-2) and cold drinks in the fridge (+38) every time I open the door to check on it. And it runs on a 2000w MSW (Zantrex) inverter when there is no shore power. I couldn't be happier and the inside capacity is tremendous. We can take everything in the S&B refrig at home and put it all in the Samsung if we wanted to.

Here is where I did the work on the MH:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zzjea/sets

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 AM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
Cold beer, hard ice ream, more room, less propane, absorption cooling unit going out, need I go on?
I do not drink beer but with my 10 year old and still going strong absorption cooling unit the MILK is cold, the ICE cream .. Depnds on many things (Same in the residential fridge) including which freezer I put it in (The all electric beside me or the absorption unit across the isle.. That one gets it harder)

Propane use is mimimal because I'm on 50 amps and it "Burns" 3 of them.

And... When I have no shore power and do not feel like burning nearly 1 gallon per hour to run the ONAN.... It still keeps the food cold.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Our new rig had a cracked windshield when we 1st looked at it. The dealer agreed to replace it. It also had an electric only Norcold, since the coach is total electric, and has no propane system. There was no residential option in 2007, even on the total electric models. It was a no brainer for us. They did the install for $600. I purchased the fridge and had it drop shipped to the dealer.

Recently, I moved the MH over in the garage to make room for my truck. I forgot to reconnect shore power for 48 hours. The batteries were down below 50%, but both fridges (Samsung and Dometic Outdoor) were still running normally. Shows me that I can comfortably run for 24 hours off batteries. It is the quietest refrigerator I have ever owned. I will replace the house fridge with a Samsung when it goes out.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 07:56 AM   #23

Scarab
Look at Samsung's website and it lists the 197ACR "counter" model's dimensions w/o doors. I can't trust my memory, but its only 30.5 x 32.2 x 69.8 inches with doors--and significantly smaller without doors. Ours came in through a window aft of the door where a love seat would typically sit (ours has a computer table). The window is I believe 72" wide and it is a snap to remove, takes one man inside and one outside. My buddy has a forklift, but I am telling you that several men, lots of blankets and a pickup truck or something similar to back up to the window are all that is needed. I would not remove a windshield unless it is already leaking. Only caveat is that you must really, really measure to ensure fit. On the wall opposite the fridge sits our Carrier V remote that slips into a plastic sleeve, surely less than 2" thick. We had to remove that (no big deal) to swing the Samsung into its hole. It was close. We had to modify the kitchen sink drain and the propane gas piping in order to 'drop' the new floor (don't use flake board for Heaven's sake!) so the Samsung would fit at the top. Wife is only 5' tall, so she does have trouble reaching the top shelves, but loves having the bottom freezer at a handy level. Do your homework and measure, measure, measure. Looks like Amazon may have a few Samsung 197ACRS left.
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-RF197A...ct_top?ie=UTF8
They have discontinued the 197ACRS, but I am told another 'counter model' replaces it, just am not knowledgable about it. Look at the weight--surely lighter than the Norcold.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:10 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Re-sale - May not be important, but is a factor.

A residential refrigerator will narrow the resale audience. The potential buyer will probably use the MH the same way you use it. For the frig to work, you need to be within a couple hours of an outlet.

For some buyers, (like myself) I probably will stop reading the ad when I get to the part that tells me what the refrigerator is. An LP frig is a must for the way I use the MH.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post

Re-sale - May not be important, but is a factor.

A residential refrigerator will narrow the resale audience. The potential buyer will probably use the MH the same way you use it. For the frig to work, you need to be within a couple hours of an outlet.

For some buyers, (like myself) I probably will stop reading the ad when I get to the part that tells me what the refrigerator is. An LP frig is a must for the way I use the MH.
I can drive all day with my residential fridge staying cold 24/7.

Plus I can camp with the best of them with or without shore power just like anyone else anytime anywhere, after all I own a self-contained RV that can sustain life for days on end or even weeks if necessary.

Sorry, I completely disagree with people who use those situations as a reason to own an absorption RV type fridge.

However, I also believe that everyone has a right to choose what's best for them but for me there were WAY too many problems with owning an absorption fridge versus the residential that we now have.

Reread what I had posted earlier. That explains exactly how I feel about absorption fridges.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:01 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...I can drive all day with my residential fridge staying cold 24/7 ...
Plus I can camp with the best of them with or without shore power just like anyone else anytime anywhere, after all I own a self-contained RV that can sustain life for days on end or even weeks if necessary...
I agree with Dr4Film. There is not as much of a draw on the batteries as people think. The new residential fridges are pretty efficient. PLUS you can turn them off to save power [if that becomes an issue] and they will stay cool all day (at least our Whirlpool will). It's surely the same for both types: if you are in-and-out of the refirgerator all day long, it is going to take more energy to keep it cold.

Having said that, we used our Norcold two years without problem. We changed over primarily to get filtered water and ice dispensed through the door (we drink a lot of water), and more cooling space.

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Richard,

Given a infinite fuel source, both of us could run indefinitely without connecting to shore power.

I believe the OP was asking for opinions, pro/con on a residential frig.

I'd be curious if the OP is purchasing a new MH, or if he has an existing MH that the frig has taken a dump and must be repaired or replaced.

I've seen many older MHs where a $59 dorm frig is sitting in the hole that was once occupied by a $600 Dometic. They look good, work great, and make ice cubes. They need to get power from the outlet, either shore or genny or batteries, as I mentioned in an earlier post. This is one of the considerations that a prospective MH owner needs to reconcile.

The 110 volt outlet needs to get power from somewhere, If your OK with how it gets power, and its acceptable to your life style. Sounds like your good to go.

Regardless, A lot of differing opinions, and all based on how they use their particular MHs.

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #28
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
john it's amazing to see how much remodel you have done. nice job.
question - did you have to get the samsung fridge in through the passenger side front window? i am guessing entrance door might not fit.
CountryFit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge