Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-29-2015, 12:44 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Helped a friend put a Samsung 197 in his Camelot. It went in through a side window with no trouble. He had sold the old but still working refer to someone and they came with a pickup. We loaded the Samsung into the PU bed, got it close to the MH, then passed it in and the old one out went pretty easily.
So, it does not always require removing a windshield!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
That's a nice looking Fridge:
Samsung RF197AC 17.8 cu. ft. Counter-Depth French Door Refrigerator with 3 Adjustable Glass Shelves, Humidity Controlled Crispers, Ice Maker, LED Lighting and Internal Digital Display

A 30"x32" Fridge would fit through most any RV door

My comment about the windshield pull was based on most retrofits I have read about that were the Fridge was a bit bigger than those dimensions.

FWIW, we sometimes travel with a stand-alone electric icemaker and dorm size fridge in our Outlaw's garage. The icemaker just cannot be beat for fast ice and the extra cold storage is really great...but only used when we have shore ties, because we have not added the extra batteries to give the inverter enough "legs" to make it overnight on the standard house battery bank.

Safe travels

You are right for the Samsung RF197AC...did ya' see post #37 (inserted above)?

So are there any other Fridges this small that can slide in a door or side window?

Interesting tion that might make sense if the propane Fridge goes out...unless you want retrofit to an Amish cooling unit
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-29-2015, 05:05 AM   #44

I was once asked if I had a propane refrigerator by my insurance carrier. That should suggest they believe a propane fridge presents more risk.

Norcold seems to be the worse. As I recall, a few years ago they issued 3 or more recalls to fix the same problem.

The only advantage I see to a propane fridge is they can be quieter given some don't have fans. Otherwise, the safety and reliability of a residential fridge wins.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #45

Davedeb
Don't want to get off subject here, so please send me a private email with the data showing how you arrived at a .1% probability of a gas absorption fridge fire.
Old 03-29-2015, 07:15 AM   #46

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
john it's amazing to see how much remodel you have done. nice job.
question - did you have to get the samsung fridge in through the passenger side front window? i am guessing entrance door might not fit.
The Samsung RF197 went through the front door. I took off all the doors on the fridge and made sure the front door and screen would open fully. It had about an inch clearance but will go through. This is a "counter depth" fridge, so it is a little shorter front to back than a normal one. It took two of us to wiggle it in but went easier than getting the Dometic out the door. My entrance door is about rectangular not slanted at the top like some DP doors. That helped.

BTW, I think the residential fridge increase the resale value as more and more new rigs are including them in production.

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:18 AM   #47

original 'OP' (btw, acronym for what?)

Thanks for all of the input on residential vs gas absorption fridges. I am in the market for my first big MH, not replacing a failed fridge. I did travel extensively through the southwest and Mexico in a VW poptop with a Dometic fridge (vintage 1980) that worked fine for years. Always fun to level the 'coach' on some of those back roads and beaches! I am honing in on a 2002-2005 Winnebago Journey 36G or 2005-2006 Vectra 36RD, both of course with standard Norcolds it seems. Will probably stick with that until problems develop (hopefully not flames!), and then decide how to go forward. I will definitely max out solar as I plan to dry camp a lot. Hope to see you all down the road.
bettertogeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #48

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZaficionado View Post
Thanks for all of the input on residential vs gas absorption fridges. I am in the market for my first big MH, not replacing a failed fridge. I did travel extensively through the southwest and Mexico in a VW poptop with a Dometic fridge (vintage 1980) that worked fine for years. Always fun to level the 'coach' on some of those back roads and beaches! I am honing in on a 2002-2005 Winnebago Journey 36G or 2005-2006 Vectra 36RD, both of course with standard Norcolds it seems. Will probably stick with that until problems develop (hopefully not flames!), and then decide how to go forward. I will definitely max out solar as I plan to dry camp a lot. Hope to see you all down the road.
OP, Original poster of the thread.

Do what works best for you. You can always make a change later if needed.
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 AM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
We swaped out the nevercold for a Samsung a year ago - best upgrade so far - colder freezer abd room for my beer and its ice cold !!!
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #50

Scarab
Forgot to mention most DP doors are large enough to allow a residential fridge, but it is so much easier to use a window. Doors require twisting and turning and there are so many items in the way like pilot/passenger seats and dashes that can be so easily damaged. So, removing the seat(s) and taping padding on the dash, etc. makes the window method an easy choice.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:10 AM   #51

Ford Super Duty Owner
AZ

Sounds great. If your planning on solar and inverter upgrades, you may want to throw the numbers for a residential frig in your power budget. Then if the times comes to make a replacement decision, You'll have most (if not all) the resources in place to power a residential.

Thanks for the topic.

John
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:39 AM   #52

All are interesting reads. I have a res fridge in mine and it works nicely (Whirlpool btw). If anyone can offer suggestions on how to keep the ice tray from moving while on the road, that would be nice (since it does slide away from the ice maker but I do raise the arm to stop the ice making). Not that I've had to use the ice often but its a nice feature, I still let the icemaker run. Maybe more than welcome during the coming summer months. I did forget though to dump out the ice tray (only once) when I let it set (no power) and had my daughter do some major mopping (swabbing for us military folks). I sure hope that while its in the shop for warranty repairs that it doesn't get moldy inside (freezer and fridge). Fingers crossed. But not to worry I will get some "baking soda" and clean up any mold. Mine does have those pull out "baskets" and those so called "temp sliders for each basket, just like a home fridge has. But I've never had any problems with it. Hummm!!!? I do wonder if bottled water goes bad though over time! JMHO /Mikey
mikensallyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:38 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynnwalter View Post

Scarab
Forgot to mention most DP doors are large enough to allow a residential fridge, but it is so much easier to use a window. Doors require twisting and turning and there are so many items in the way like pilot/passenger seats and dashes that can be so easily damaged. So, removing the seat(s) and taping padding on the dash, etc. makes the window method an easy choice.
X-2

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikensallyt View Post

If anyone can offer suggestions on how to keep the ice tray from moving while on the road, that would be nice (since it does slide away from the ice maker but I do raise the arm to stop the ice making). Mikey
It must be a poor Whirlpool design. The ice cube bin in the Samsung RF-197 is held captive inside the slide-out drawer.

I would try some of THIS type of Velcro in one spot. The only problem is that the glue that is used while in a freezer environment may not hold up. I would install it while the freezer and ice cube bin are warm at room temperature.

Another idea would be to use JB Weld epoxy to attach a narrow strip of plastic next to where the ice cube bin sits to prevent it from moving sideways.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 04:56 PM   #55
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzjea View Post
The Samsung RF197 went through the front door. I took off all the doors on the fridge and made sure the front door and screen would open fully. It had about an inch clearance but will go through. This is a "counter depth" fridge, so it is a little shorter front to back than a normal one. It took two of us to wiggle it in but went easier than getting the Dometic out the door. My entrance door is about rectangular not slanted at the top like some DP doors. That helped.

BTW, I think the residential fridge increase the resale value as more and more new rigs are including them in production.

John
this is a good news to me. my dometic may have been shot in this winter. a few days ago when i was at the yard to prepare for travelling, i found the fridge just didn't get cold at all in both 110v and propane. with so many happy owners of residential fridge, i am seriously thinking to get a samsung RF18HFENBSR. i have a large solar system already and i want to sleep better in the night. as only i can move it in through the front door, the rest would be easy - i will just cut the dometic section by section and move it out.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 06:55 PM   #56
Community Moderator

talking about a dedicated inverter for samsung fridge, what is the wattage needed? based on 12a on 12v, that is 144w. how much bigger should be adequate like 200w?
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge