Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2013, 11:20 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Residential Refrigerator and Battery Charging

The amount of information is overwhelming on this site. I've searched and was hoping for some direction.

We camp in state and national parks that have limited generator use. Our residential refrigerator works great the first night but the second night it runs the batteries to the inverters threshold in 6 hours and third night in 3 hours.

I'm sure it's because the batteries are not getting fully charged in 2 hours twice a day generator use. How long does it take to fully charge a deep cycle battery using a 3 stage charging system?

I am looking for some direction. Solar (how many watts would I need to supplement), auto generator start, more batteries (how many)? We just purchased the rv and have limited funds right now but want to make an educated decision.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
First things first - how many (and what kind) of house batteries do you have?

Also, are you sure the charge controller is set up correctly to provide enough amps to actually charge up the batteries? Most 3 stage controllers have a setting for max charge amps so that you can run other things without overloading your shore power or generator.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
If you're limited on generator hours, AGS won't help.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have two 12volt batteries.

How do I check the settings on the charger? The charger is an inteli-power pd9270.

I really appreciate your help.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savannahdan View Post

How do I check the settings on the charger? The charger is an inteli-power pd9270.

I would read the manual personally.

Mercedes MBE 926
Eddie Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It didn't come with one. I tried/am trying to find one online but am not having much luck.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
It didn't come with one. I tried/am trying to find one online but am not having much luck.
http://www.progressivedyn.com/pdfs/1...h%20manual.pdf

According to that, it takes 8 hours to bring a full discharged battery up to 90%, even in the boost mode. You need to make sure you're not coming anywhere near that, which means you need more batteries.

Two is definitely not enough, and if it came from the factory that way (residential fridge and only 2 house batteries), I'd raise holy hell with the manufacturer.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you for the ideas. I'll see what I can do with the manufacturer. How many batteries do you think I would need total? Is that 8 hours for the whole bank of batteries or more would take longer to charge? Obviously I am new to this.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:

I can tell u 3 things for sure
1) 2 twelve volt batterys to run a inverter system thats runs a residential fridge is very inadequit

2) you should have stayed with a LPG fridge

3) running a gen set for two hours wont fully charge dead batterys

U should make sure u run the fridge off the gen set when trying to recharge batterys if your not doing so already
U need a "MIN "of 4 six volt HD Rv batterys designated for the fridge alone
deadbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, a residential fridge setup when you're doing a lot of boondocking probably wasn't a good idea. Unless you also add a bunch of solar panels.

I think four is the absolute minimum, and six would be better. On my coach, the manufacturer went from four to eight when you ordered the "all electric" option.

The eight hours number was an estimate assuming the charger wasn't undersized for the battery bank. Yours should be fine for four, and probably six. Someone would have to look at the battery charts to calculate it for sure. But four hours total generator time isn't much without some decent solar cells to keep them topped up.

I wouldn't be surprised if the batteries are damaged from over-discharging at this point.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:19 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE=deadbat;1641236]I can tell u 3 things for sure
1) 2 twelve volt batterys to run a inverter system thats runs a residential fridge is very inadequit. That would depend on the amp hours of the batteries.

2) you should have stayed with a LPG fridge That is an opinion only. There are hundreds, if not thousands of rvs with residential.

3) running a gen set for two hours wont fully charge dead batterys

U should make sure u run the fridge off the gen set when trying to recharge batterys if your not doing so already

U need a "MIN "of 4 six volt HD Rv batterys designated for the fridge alone This is also not factual.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
The amount of information is overwhelming on this site. I've searched and was hoping for some direction.

We camp in state and national parks that have limited generator use. Our residential refrigerator works great the first night but the second night it runs the batteries to the inverters threshold in 6 hours and third night in 3 hours.

I'm sure it's because the batteries are not getting fully charged in 2 hours twice a day generator use. How long does it take to fully charge a deep cycle battery using a 3 stage charging system?

I am looking for some direction. Solar (how many watts would I need to supplement), auto generator start, more batteries (how many)? We just purchased the rv and have limited funds right now but want to make an educated decision.
We changed our LP fridge to a res. fridge last year. Our fridge isn't as big as yours, it's a 9.5 cu.ft. We have two 12V 4D house batteries. I have purchased two more to add, but haven't done that yet. My wife and I use CPAP machines at night. Our generator use is the same now with the res.fridge as it was with the LP fridge. We run the generator for 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs in the morning to start our day, making coffee, using the microwave, and fully charging the batteries, and the same amount of time again before bedtime. I realize that our system will benefit when we add the extra two batteries, but for now, it is not a problem.

The fact that your system is weaker each day indicates that your batteries are not getting charged properly. It should not take more than a couple of hours to fully charge only two 12 Volt batteries. Does your system provide a read out showing the condition of your batteries? Can you tell if the batteries are fully charged after the generator has run for 2 hours?

Or, ... something is drawing too much power at night. Based on our experience, because our fridge doors aren't being opened and closed through the night, the fridge doesn't run enough at night to be of concern.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #13

I don't know what the amp-hour rating of your batteries are. Just for comparison, my all electric coach came with six 230 amp-hour 6 volt batteries for a total of 690 amp-hours @ 12 volt.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #14

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We just bought the MH a month ago. I'm a bit bummed about this. I specifically asked about the refrigerator because I thought it was a bit excessive for our use but they assured me that the new res ref are more efficient than the LPG models.

I am new to some of this so I apologize if I ask silly questions. Our system has four lights designating the charge status but I guess I may need to get a meter of some kind to tell me the condition of the batteries. Any recommendations? What are my next steps to diagnosing the charging issue?

I really do appreciate the productive suggestions you all are providing. Thanks.

Tags
battery, charging, refrigerator