Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2014, 09:55 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
I called Samsung US customer support with this question. That didn't work. So I left an email inquiry on their technical support page. We'll see if they answer it.
Well, the email inquiry didn't work either. They sent a useless reply quoted verbatim here....

"Thank you for contacting Samsung. I understand that you would like to know if your refrigerator model RF197ABRS runs with out any issues from a quality MSW inverter. I would like to inform you that the refrigerator runs well till it receives the required power supply i.e., AC 115V 60HZ 11.6 Amps."

Huh?
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
That's what you get when you translate the question into Korean, and the the answer back into English!
Old 06-12-2014, 09:20 PM   #31

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Paul,

I know you realize that means that any time you are not plugged in to shore power, you will have to have the genset running in order to run the refrigerator - like when driving all day, or loading up the motorhome to go on a trip, etc.. Won't that be awfully inconvenient? Not sure I'd want to settle for that option.
We have shore power at homebase where we would be loading/unloading. And we normally run the generator to run the house air/heat pump when driving, so don't see any inconvenience there. If for some reason we don't need to run the generator for air/heat, I'm sure the refrigerator will keep just fine w/o power for several hours of travel. We have moved many times over the years and put a refrigerator and/or freezer on a truck and unloaded it at the end of the day w/no problem ...even moved one several days across country w/no problem by plugging it in at night when we were sleeping.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:28 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
From a FAQ on the Samsung website

"2 years, 11 months agoMsSamsungSamsungHQ
The RF197 should be able to operate on a modified sine wave inverter that meets the 115V/60 Hz/11.6 amp power requirement. However, it is important to note that Samsung does not recommend installing the refrigerator in a motor home or other location with seasonal usage due to the potential for power and temperature fluctuations.

Thank you for the question,
Ms. Samsung"

I think this is where we all got the info that it will work on a MSW inverter

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:52 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Dennis,

I think you are correct because I sure cannot find it anywhere else.

I found that "Ms. Samsung" customer service site since the earlier posts in this thread. I've attached all 5 questions and answers in that Samsung support forum, that deal with the MSW inverter issue, in case anyone would like to read it. Interesting that the answers are so varied, and that none of them are very committed. They only say, "It should work", never do they say "It's fine to do that".

Samsung seems to have a history of never committing to much of anything with their customer base. I've seen on other forums that a lot of their cell phone and tablet customers get frustrated by that.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Samsung Support Forum.pdf (193.1 KB, 35 views)
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Dennis,

I think you are correct because I sure cannot find it anywhere else.

I found that "Ms. Samsung" customer service site since the earlier posts in this thread. I've attached all 5 questions and answers in that Samsung support forum, that deal with the MSW inverter issue, in case anyone would like to read it. Interesting that the answers are so varied, and that none of them are very committed. They only say, "It should work", never do they say "It's fine to do that".

Samsung seems to have a history of never committing to much of anything with their customer base. I've seen on other forums that a lot of their cell phone and tablet customers get frustrated by that.

Is shouldn't surprise anyone that the answers are varied. After all it is "Ms." Samsung. The "Ms." allows a great deal of variation in responses.

Try and live up to your dogs opinion of you.
Old 06-19-2014, 04:15 PM   #35

Alpine Owners Club
For those of you that run a dedicated inverter, does it switch from shore power to inverter automatically or how do you handle that ?
Old 06-19-2014, 04:41 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
For those of you that run a dedicated inverter, does it switch from shore power to inverter automatically or how do you handle that ?
On the two rigs I've installed with a dedicated inverter, I hooked them directly to the house batteries. I use an in-line fuse to protect the circuit and use a latching relay in the line so I can drop the total inverter (and of course the refrigerator) off any time I want to for any reason. The latching relay is great because it only draws power from the system when it is being opened or closed. At all other times the relay is drawing is zero amps for the coil.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #37

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
On the two rigs I've installed with a dedicated inverter, I hooked them directly to the house batteries. I use an in-line fuse to protect the circuit and use a latching relay in the line so I can drop the total inverter (and of course the refrigerator) off any time I want to for any reason. The latching relay is great because it only draws power from the system when it is being opened or closed. At all other times the relay is drawing is zero amps for the coil.
So are you running the fridge on the inverter only? Any chance you can tell me specifically what inverter you used and what relay ?

Thanks, Jeff
Old 06-20-2014, 05:30 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refuse1 View Post
So are you running the fridge on the inverter only? Any chance you can tell me specifically what inverter you used and what relay ?

Thanks, Jeff
Sure. I use a Tripp Lite PV1250FC inverter. It runs a KitchenAid 3 door refrigerator/freezer, a 17 cu ft household chest freezer and a compressor driven 3 cu ft basement freezer all at the same time. We use the extra 2 freezers to bring fish down from Alaska when we fish up there in the summers. I selected this Tripp Lite because of it's massive surge capability, to be able to handle high amp draw compressor starts. If you select this inverter, be sure to install a 200A circuit protection within 18" of the wiring to battery connection.

The relay is an Intellitec battery disconnect P/N 53-00066-100. These are available through a number of RV suppliers as they are standard for use in the RV industry.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:08 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an Amana residential 17.8 cu. ft. with icemaker.
LG 32" LCD.
LG 18" LCD
Garbage disposal.
Dell Desktop computer.
Del inspiron laptop
Cannon copier/printer/fax
All are powered with by Magnum Energy MSW.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 06:51 PM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Paul,

I know you realize that means that any time you are not plugged in to shore power, you will have to have the genset running in order to run the refrigerator - like when driving all day, or loading up the motorhome to go on a trip, etc.. Won't that be awfully inconvenient? Not sure I'd want to settle for that option.
That is not totally corect. The battery bank is being charged by the engine alternator in most cases.
The compressor does not run 24/7, only as needed.
Old 06-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #41

Garbage disposal? Does it cause any problems with your plumbing?
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 07:18 PM   #42

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Garbage disposal? Does it cause any problems with your plumbing?
Five years with one and no problems yet.
It is standard equipment on all Siena motorhomes

Tags
inverter, refrigerator