Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2020, 03:10 PM   #1

Residential Refrigerator power question

After issues with our Norcold refrigerator this summer we are replacing it with the Samsung RF-18. I have read a lot of forum posts and understand that this unit will operate on our Modified Sine inverter. I should add that we very rarely boon-dock, usually only one or two nights out of 5 months that we normally travel.
I have also read that the refrigerator should be on a dedicated 15 amp line, but the dedicated line does not work on the inverter, however there is a GFCI plug available that does operate on the inverter, but it also powers other outlets most of which we don't use in daily travels.
I am not an expert at reading wiring diagrams or fully understanding the RV systems, but wonder if there is a good way to change the dedicated line to be powered off the inverter or should I just plug into the existing GCFI plug that have power through the inverter.
Lowell
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Zanzibar-wiring.pdf (509.9 KB, 12 views)
AZ-Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #2

The fridge only draw a few amps, you'll be fine.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 03:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
The fridge only draw a few amps, you'll be fine.
Yes. The initial start up of the compressor pulls a bunch but generally less than 2 amps when running...which is only about 20 minutes out of an hour.

Cheers.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 05:31 PM   #4

Maybe if we know which inverter you have, we could help getting the dedicated working.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Safari View Post
After issues with our Norcold refrigerator this summer we are replacing it with the Samsung RF-18. I have read a lot of forum posts and understand that this unit will operate on our Modified Sine inverter. <snip>
Lowell
I don't think you want to run a refrigerator on a modified sine-wave inverter. Usually refrigerator compressors require true sine-wave inverters. We call this an "opportunity to upgrade". :-) True sine-wave inverters have gotten very cheap as of late, no excuse not to have one IMO.
Uniblab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 12:46 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If there was a norcold 1200 with icemaker there originally, typically should be two circuits fed to behind the refrigerator. One inverter powered for the ice maker, the other non inverted for the refrigerator.

That said the GFCI circuit you have located will likely be ok.

The RF18 should be ok on MSW inverter. Was stated in the documation at one time. Hence a popular replacement unit.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboyer View Post
Maybe if we know which inverter you have, we could help getting the dedicated working.
Sorry should have included the inverter model - it is the Xantrex Freedom 20
Old 10-21-2020, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblab View Post
I don't think you want to run a refrigerator on a modified sine-wave inverter. Usually refrigerator compressors require true sine-wave inverters. We call this an "opportunity to upgrade". :-) True sine-wave inverters have gotten very cheap as of late, no excuse not to have one IMO.
I've been running a KitchenAid household refer on a dedicated modified sine wave inverter since the Bus was brand new in January, 2013, That's over 110,000 miles. I also run a 17 cu ft chest freezer and a 3.5 cu ft basement freezer on the same dedicated MSW inverter. Same situation on a 2008 Allegro Bus and again, no problems.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #9

Many people I know are running the Samsung on Modified Sine. The GFI did trip once and I switched it out for a normal outlet. The GFI only fed the fridge so there was no safety concern with eliminating it. No problems since.
SV K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:51 AM   #10

From what I have read over the last 10 years or so, those Samsung refers do just fine on MSW inverters. As I recall, they actually run on DC and have their own internal converter that is not sensitive to waveform. What I wouldn't want is for my refer to be on a GFI. That, IMO, is just asking for trouble.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:38 AM   #11

Lots of good advice posted above.

The owner's manual for the Xantrex Freedom 20 specifies 2000 watts with "considerable" motor starting capability. So it is basically one 15 amp circuit. It will run the refer. I didn't look up the refer specs (lazy me). You must observe power management. Don't run other high power devices on the inverter. A microwave may trip the inverter when the refer motor is running.

Generally speaking, most wiring codes require 1/4 horse and larger motors that start automatically to be on a dedicated circuit with no other devices. A refrigerator qualifies as a motor starting automatically.

Partly it is because, if the circuit breaker trips, no one will know the refrig is off and food spoilage can occur. This is important for refrigerators, furnaces, sump pumps, and safety equipment. All of these are required to be on separate circuit breakers.

I wish you good luck and happy trails ahead!
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #12

Thanks to all that responded. I will try the GFCI plug for power to the fridge. It is stored next to the house so it will be easy to do some testing, since I did have some issues of that CGFI branch tripping the plug when switching from inverter to generator or AC power.
Lowell

Tags
power, refrigerator, residential refrigerator