RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2014, 03:35 AM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdren View Post
What do you guys think it would take in solar to run the 197 for the day. And how long will it run on two 6v batteries. I would like to not run the generator more than 1 hour a day to keep the batteries up.
Here is a good thread.
Samsung fridge
Be sure to follow the links.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2014, 03:40 AM   #296

Quote:
I have one. It was installed when my Dometic was repaired in April. Kind of neat to be able to see how hot the boiler is running. Usually around 375 F. Beyond that I have not seen any difference in operation.
Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #297

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
What do you guys think it would take in solar to run the 197 for the day. And how long will it run on two 6v batteries. I would like to not run the generator more than 1 hour a day to keep the batteries up.
I've been fulltiming with the Samsung 197 for 6 months now with 4 250 AH AGM's. My guess is two 6v in really good condition would run it for 24 hrs but they would pretty much completely discharged. So on day two you'd have to get them fully charged again. Running them down past 50% would take the life out of the batteries. So you really need 4 batteries.

500 watts of solar would help a lot. I have 6000 watts of solar on my house and know how much the production can vary from day to day and the shorter days of winter, and when partially shaded by trees. 500 w can be just 50 on a cloudy day in winter.

So two 6v is not practical, 4 gets you by, and 6 is what Winnie puts in their models with residential fridge. 400 or 500 watts of solar would help a lot but you would still be using your generator much more than 1 hrs a day. When I dry camp for multiple days in a row, I have to run the genny for about 3-4 hrs per day. My inverter is the stock 2K Dimensions modified sinewave, and I believe a pure sinewave inverter would be 10-20% more efficient.

Maybe someone with solar and pure sinewave on their rig can add their experience here.

By the way I keep seeing Costco ad for 400w system for $1100 and additional 100w for $139. A very good price that includes 1800 w pure sinewave inverter. Link Here
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 02:25 PM   #298

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
holdren,

I think Duner's comments above were spot on. But I just want to address the part of your question where you say that you don't want to run the generator more than one hour a day to keep the batteries up. To protect your batteries while dry camping you have to run it more than that even without a residential refrigerator. First of all deep cycle batteries have a limited number of charging cycles they can tolerate in their life-time. So you want to make the most of each cycle. That generally means it's best to keep the generator running until your batteries are fully charged (charging in the "float mode") each time, if possible. Secondly, as Duner said, running down the batteries below a 50% charge will significantly reduce the life of your batteries - especially if you do that often.

So the bottom line, with or without a residential refrigerator, is that if you want decent life from your batteries you should try to never let them get below a 50% state of charge. And when charging them, try to always bring them back to 100% each time.

So, how to tell the state of charge of a battery? Using a hydrometer is the best way. But you can also measure the no-load resting voltage of the battery bank to get an approximate idea. A 12 volt battery bank is fully charged when the OCV (open circuit voltage) is about 12.65 - 12.7 V. It is fully discharged when it reads anything below 12v. It is charged at about 50% when it reads about 12.25 - 12.3v. These readings will vary depending upon the age of the battery and the ambient temperature.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:08 PM   #299

National RV Owners Club
I have 4 6v batteries that I will take down to 12.20 (80%) sometimes. I made a mistake on the hrs. I usually charge for two hrs when needed.

So it looks like I could do 2 batteries and inverter just for the refer.

Also I have led tv's and lights.
holdren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #300

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
OK, I see where you're coming from.

If it were me, though, I think if I were going to buy two additional batteries, I'd run them altogether in one 6-battery bank for the benefit of the whole coach including the refrigerator. Then if necessary (depending on what type of inverter you already have), you could always rig up a small PSW inverter just for the refer, running off the main bank. One like this (the 900w version) would do fine, and is relatively inexpensive. That setup would be more efficient and would make boondocking with a residential refrigerator relatively effortless.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:34 AM   #301

National RV Owners Club
Robin,

Do think it would be better to run the refer off 4 batteries and the rest off of 2?

Or maybe just 2 for refer and 2 for the rest?
Old 06-14-2014, 10:56 AM   #302

National RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Although I don't have much experience with boon docking or using the Samsung without shore power, I think that it depends a lot on how you dry camp. Obviously you need more back up battery power for long extended camping no matter how you get it (solar, generator, engine to fill the batts). How many or how much depends on power usage by the consumer. So it would be hard to get it exact except by experience. The less you use the easier to replenish (don't open the fridge/freezer doors as often, park in shade to keep rig cooler, do something instead of watching TV etc.).

If I were a frequent dry camper I would go with a lot of solar (as much as I could afford and space on the roof) and as many batts as I could fit (like maybe 6 total house batts) and try to run the genset only when the solar wasn't enough. If you have limitations on cost or space available then some of the other replies will provide more help. There are some people off the grid and no generator, just solar. That's a real challenge.
JMTCW

John
zzjea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #303

National RV Owners Club
You guys that good to the rv shows. What is the most used refer in the new models?
Old 06-14-2014, 01:04 PM   #304

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
You guys that good to the rv shows. What is the most used refer in the new models?
The last large show we went to the fridges ran the list of the major residential manufacturers. There were none that stood out as being the most used. The style mostly used was the french door with the freezer on the bottom. None of the RV's had the absorption fridges. They all had at least one 2800 watt pure sine inverter, some had two. All had at least 6 6-volt batteries, some had 8. Almost all were the AGMs. Most had some solar already on the roof.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:24 PM   #305

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Robin,

Do think it would be better to run the refer off 4 batteries and the rest off of 2?
Or maybe just 2 for refer and 2 for the rest?

holdren,
Not sure why you would want to split up the bank, unless adding the extra two batteries to the main bank is prohibited by space restrictions. If you can get an extra two batteries anywhere near your original four, I would make a 6-battery bank out of them, as that would be he most power efficient. (See my last post above.) At the very least, I would not split up the bank of four batteries you already have.

As for your second question, from my observations at the Hershey RV show last fall, I'd definitely say that the most popular residential is the Samsung RF197. It is also the most popular with conversions, as it is relatively power efficient, and will run with a modified sine wave inverter. But there are several choices - especially if not limited by a MSW inverter.
Old 06-14-2014, 08:53 PM   #306

I have a new Fleetwood Excursion with a commercial fridge and that was a big buying factor for me , I gave up the oven for it and wouldn't change my mind , it is big and holds enough food for 2 weeks out and the freezer and ice maker is to die for )). I have some full time RV friends and they just replaces their fridge with a home model, if they went with the same as the old one it would have cost them $4,000 and the door way would have to be taken off , they bought one at Lowes and had a friend install it for I think for $500. for everything and she loves it best of luck
alwayson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #307

All done with the install.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:44 AM   #308

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks great. They sure do get tall when you have to put them above the heater.

Tags
refrigerator