RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #1

Ridiculous Clogged Thetford Toilet

I can’t seem to unclog my toilet. So water is about 4” high above flush flap. The tank was completely drained, at my campsite last weekend...except for this clogged section of water.

I have tried the boiled water method.
The chemical additive to eat tissue.
The plunger.
And I just snaked the line.

The water is still standing.

Any idea of what could be happening?

I am wondering if maybe it’s a vacuum issue with the stink pipe, or something like that. Maybe the snake was not long enough, it’s probably snaked out about 3’ and I can crank it.

Ant suggestions?

This is in a class a 2007 Itasca Sunova 35J
jdmalibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2020, 03:39 PM   #2

Got kids....Missing any toys?

Missing any combs, hair brushes, toothbrushes etc

If this is a standard gravity dump Thetford Toilet then you have an object lodged in the toilet to tank line which has wads of TP stuck to that object.
Turn water supply off....Glove up...roll your sleeves up and reach down into toilet line as far as you can --retrieve the object

If unable to reach object then you may have to remove toilet so you can reach farther down line
Bail water out using a cup until water level is below floor flange height

Snakes, chemicals, boiling water etc will NOT remove object
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 05:45 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Did you snake from the toilet side or the drain side? And did you see the snake come out the other end?

One option is to get a brass hose sprayer (the one you twist and it stays on) and start sending it up the drain side while it's on. Hopefully it will arrive at the problem site and start to dislodge the offending matter. It's a dirty job so make sure you have long rubber gloves and a face shield.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 01:08 AM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Big, fat hands like mine will not go thru the flush valve hole, if yours same, you may want to consider some type of positive action long grabber? (If Assuming Old Biscuit right?)
Old 09-27-2020, 01:41 AM   #5

If it is below the level of the flange, I have had some luck using one of these type devices
https://www.harborfreight.com/large-...EaAhVnEALw_wcB

2006 Keystone Raptor 3712
waterjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:58 AM   #6

Thanks for the advice!

Such a great community here, I appreciate everyone trying to help out. I’ll keep at it, and try some additional methods as described. I did not try going up the emptying end.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by THenne1713 View Post
Big, fat hands like mine will not go thru the flush valve hole, if yours same, you may want to consider some type of positive action long grabber? (If Assuming Old Biscuit right?)
Definitely my hands would not fit through, funny I thought you were referring to an “old biscuit” in another sense..

Thanks
Old 09-27-2020, 07:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Got kids....Missing any toys?

Missing any combs, hair brushes, toothbrushes etc

If this is a standard gravity dump Thetford Toilet then you have an object lodged in the toilet to tank line which has wads of TP stuck to that object.
Turn water supply off....Glove up...roll your sleeves up and reach down into toilet line as far as you can --retrieve the object

If unable to reach object then you may have to remove toilet so you can reach farther down line
Bail water out using a cup until water level is below floor flange height

Snakes, chemicals, boiling water etc will NOT remove object
Thanks, I’ll keep at it. I guess I’ll be bailing out some dirty water today.
Old 09-27-2020, 07:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVThere View Post
Did you snake from the toilet side or the drain side? And did you see the snake come out the other end?

One option is to get a brass hose sprayer (the one you twist and it stays on) and start sending it up the drain side while it's on. Hopefully it will arrive at the problem site and start to dislodge the offending matter. It's a dirty job so make sure you have long rubber gloves and a face shield.
I did not try the drain end, I guess it’s possible, tank was empty...but maybe it wasn’t and I thought it was. It’s definitely worth a shot, an yeah I have a straight nozzle end, so I’ll give that a try. I guess I’ll need some containment buckets should things loosen up.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2020, 07:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterjosh View Post
If it is below the level of the flange, I have had some luck using one of these type devices
https://www.harborfreight.com/large-...EaAhVnEALw_wcB
That a pretty cheap option to try, I guess if the other methods described Fail I may order one of these. I wonder if HF stocks these in store, I have one a couple miles away.

Thanks
Old 09-27-2020, 07:51 AM   #11

lowe's/HD sell rubber expandable drain cleaners in various sizes. your drain line is 3" 4" wide. select the proper size adapter. connect water hose, insert in drain pipe, turn on water and hold on cuz what ever was in there is coming out fast.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:01 AM   #12

If the pipe from your toilet goes straight down and doesn't make a turn you can try "snaking" with your awning pole (if you have a manual awning it has a pole with a hook at the end to grab it and pull it down). That clears a straight pipe well and the hook might bring a toy, etc. back up. If you don't have a manual awning you could still buy the pole. Ours is extendable and takes little storage room.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:27 PM   #13

I went back to work with the auger, 3rd attempt seems to have worked. I appreciate everyone’s support, I guess the best advice is not to give up. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing for the near future. Of course something else needs to give out soon.....
Old 09-28-2020, 05:56 PM   #14

jdmalibu:

Glad to hear the "third auger attempt" worked for you.
Just to follow up, did you find anything "untoward" as the culprit?
Otherwise, I would assume the problem was "pyramidding" in the tank, where the contents gets piled up, solidifies and (as you found out) is a PITA to get rid of.

The only time we had the problem was when we were boondocking and were trying to be "thrifty" with our water supply. But if you're hooked up to a water supply, we found that being "generous" with the water will prevent that situation.

If we're hooked up to "city" water, our bathroom routine is different. We put water in bowl first, then double flush afterwards. That seems to eliminate the problem.

Good luck!
O LLOYD
O Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ford, toilet