Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 PM   #1

Red face Roof air replacement..

I am needing to replace the Coleman unit very soon. I have found a local source for a new Carrier 13,500 BTU for a very good price. On our recent outing, I counted 7 Carriers in the campground and want to know if anybody has had anything to say about this since I don't know much about roof air units. Some local dealers are trying to steer me toward more pricey units, I think since this is such an expensive thing and in Florida ya can't be without it. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks, Dan
Dansspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2009, 12:11 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
To make it even more confusing try this LINK YOU can compare different models and prices just click on more info to the right on unit your interested in.
The size you have now may make you cool enough but if it does not or recovery to cool is not fast enough you may need a larger output. Its a matter of price and what you need or want. This web site is pretty good in prices and getting anything shipped to you.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dansspirit, you will also need to change the ceiling package since you are going to a different brand on the roof. The Carrier units have performed pretty well and have a remote control thermostat instead on on on the wall. What kind of coach do you have and what model air conditioner and thermostat is presently in it? Is it ducted or not?
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #4

Sorry I didn't elaborate, I have a 1989 Itasca Spirit C class,23 ft. The unit it has now is the original, I have all the paperwork on this coach from day1. So I am looking to replace the Coleman 13,500 with a similar unit, since the performance has been very good. The one I am looking at comes with the inside unit as well. I don't think I can go wrong with this switch, right now the money is part of the equation. Thanks for the info! Dan
Old 03-29-2009, 03:34 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dan, you should not have any problem making the change out. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 04-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #6

Dan,

We have two carrier 13.5 k units in our MH. They work great. Three years no problems, excellent performers. A mike said, you should have no problems with the switch out.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM   #7

Carrier A/C installation

Thanks for the positive comments on the Carrier unit! I installed it today, my neighbor helped me get it to the roof which was the hardest part. It was 85 degrees here and I started the AC as soon as I hooked up the electric! It seems to be a little louder than the Coleman, but I think we can live with it. We only use the Motorhome 6 or 7 times a year, but here in Florida we use the air all the time. A happy summer lies ahead! Dan
Old 04-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Dan, glad to hear that you have air conditioning! Congratulations.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two commentes:

1: The covnersion is very straight forward. basically 4 bolts and a few wires, both fit the same standard hole in the roof so the job will be easier, Makes no difference if you replace same/same or different/different

2: Carrier, SOME MODELS, have built in room temp sensors and use a I/R remote to control 'em. These units work very well as Air conditioners, epically if you run the fan on all the time (HIGH or Low, not AUTO)

But as furnace controllers they suck.. IN fact what they suck is cold air, this makes the unit think the room is like 30, when in fact it's pushing 90, so it calls for heat.. I can tell you two, or 3, ways to fix this all work, I've used 2 of 'em an you currently use the 3rd