Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-23-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Rooftop A/C Gaskets

I have a leaking a/c gasket and have looked at replacement gaskets. My question is, Does anybody make a true 1 piece gasket? All I have seen are 2 or 4 piece gaskets that appear to be bonded/glued together. Also, every a/c gasket replacement video I have seen shows leaks occurring at these seams. I would would think someone would come to the conclusion that it is a flawed design and create a true 1 piece. Any thoughts??
Apak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2017, 07:09 PM   #2

Thoughts--too hard to do and unnecessary for the purpose. Biggest issue with a single piece gasket would be the need to disconnect all the wiring just to replace the gasket. So buy the gray, closed-cell gasket [not the cheap white ones]; split the gasket at the corner seam to get around the wires; reseal corner and add a bit of sealant to the rood surface. I use two gaskets stacked to accommodate drain cups/lines, outside wires, etc. Also use rubber blocking on parameter of roof unit to evenly support unit and not crush gasket. Tighten hold-down bolts slightly--like 20-30 INCH lbs.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:21 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club

I suppose if you could find the proper density foam gasket material in a 16" square sheet, you could cut your own. Otherwise, I'd use one from one of the many suppliers that make them available. Often at the first sign of a leak, a slight tightening of the 4 large hold-down screws stops the leak.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:22 PM   #4

What is the best option for rebonding the gaskets / sealing gasket to roof? Have heard great things about urethane sealant but would think butyl would be best option for sealant. As for reconnecting the gasket.....I have no idea.
Apak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
As far as I know, the new gasket usually comes with a double-sided tape to hold it in place on the roof. The 4 bolts that hold the A/C unit on the roof compresses the gasket. No need for extra adhesive or sealing. Clean the edges where the gasket is taped with Goo Gone, acetone, or other adhesive cleaner. A new gasket is usually under $30, even just $10 or so if you go cheap.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 AM   #6

Don't go cheap--go gray gasket [close-cell foam]--around $30. Don't recall any pre-applied adhesive--most folks don't recommend it as its harder to clean/replace next time. Frankly, replacing once every 10-15 years is no biggie and you will want to use a new gasket anyway. Not sure what brand or type to use--think a thin application of typical door/window caulk will do.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gasket, gaskets, leaking a/c, rooftop a/c