Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2013, 04:06 PM   #1

Rope lights and power awning

I'm hoping that I am in the right place for this, if not can u move this?
We have a Fuzion TH and an electric awning. DW wants to put up a rope light and, due to the awning height, was wanting to leave the attached and just roll them up into the awning for storage.
Is this safe? Is this done? Will my power awning hold up to the added weight/stress?
Thanks.
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
Yaj

I attached a rope light to the side of the MH just below the awning, ran the power cord down the inside of the awning mounting piece. I used some stick on rope light mounts made of clear plastic. Got the rope lights and mounting strips from Menards. You don't even notice them unless they're on.

Fort Myers, FL
Yaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Yesterday at an RV show we saw an awning with white LEDs completely inside the awning tube slot. It would prevent the use of screening panels but a nice option. Unless the white LEDs attract bugs then never mind.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My first concern would be, does it allow the awning to stow completely, if not I would think this could allow air to grab the awning while driving down the road.

My awning came out once while driving, $4,000.00+ to replace.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:17 AM   #5

sdennislee, you raise a good point about the rope lights leaving a bump in the rolled up awning that could possibly be caught in the wind..even if the arms click into their clamps I agree it's a concern.

We too saw (and really liked) the LED lights in the roller at an RV show recently on new RVs. Does anyone know if those are available after market for retrofit on existing roller awnings?
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:17 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
No problem, the rope lights would make very little difference in the awing rolling up. I have a 2 foot section of screen panel I leave up with no problem. I would not, however try to roll up the hanging 6 inch globals!!!JUST KIDDING !!
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

It might be OK but I don't think I've ever seen it done before.

I too hard mounted rope lights on the HOUSING of my electric awning using the plastic channel pieces Home Depot sells to hold rope lights in place. I have not hard wired them however since I haven't yet figured out a way to safely get AC wired through the wall of the slide out. If we're going to be set up for a few days, I connect them using custom made extension cords. I also added the same lights to the rear awning housing and underneath the entire length of the patio side slide.

Good luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If money were not an issue, nor finding power, I'd think these might be interesting to have...
Seven Color LED Light Strip - Dometic LED3005ACR.7C - Patio Lights - Camping World

I'd like to see more user reviews over time before spending that much for patio lights. I.e. how the adhesive holds up after a winter and after road vibration. I have LEDs across the tailgate of my P/U and overtime one or two LEDs are out. Not much considering there are about 50 but at night the missing LEDs bugs me.
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Bling lights on slides

I was at the Tampa RV show and then moved up to Orlando where I saw a guy from Quebec with an immaculate Beaver Contessa. He paid someone clever and had that adhesive thin led strip tape anchored around each one of his slide units just inboard of the seal. The power wire ran underneath between the gear tracks. All of it was on a single switch. The result was he turned them on and when the slides are out the LEDs are concealed from direct viewing but shine on the walls of the unit. It reminded me of an RV on a showroom or a house with a lot of landscape lights. It was far more unique than lights from the awning but may be too much bling for some folks.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #10

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
Because I have roof mounted awnings that are too high to use awning lighting, instead I made my own patio light(s) that breakdown, easy to reassemble, can work off 110v or 12v and take up little room (post breaks down to two pieces) when stowed. I daisy chain multiple ones including the shorter accent ones for great ambiance and good lighting for cooking outdoors. When on 110v (used most) I have photoeyes to turn on and off. A more pleasant lighting solution to overhead lighting in parks that have little site lighting. I can also use bug bulbs if they are a problem. The entire post and base comes apart as well as the upper post section with the light attached...easily stored. The light is durable plastic and lexan lens. Lights can also be dimmed to set-the-mood to suit you. My own fab/design.

Old 01-20-2013, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaroamer View Post
Because I have roof mounted awnings that are too high to use awning lighting, instead I made my own patio light(s) that breakdown, easy to reassemble, can work off 110v or 12v and take up little room (post breaks down to two pieces) when stowed. I daisy chain multiple ones including the shorter accent ones for great ambiance and good lighting for cooking outdoors. When on 110v (used most) I have photoeyes to turn on and off. A more pleasant lighting solution to overhead lighting in parks that have little site lighting. I can also use bug bulbs if they are a problem. The entire post and base comes apart as well as the upper post section with the light attached...easily stored. The light is durable plastic and lexan lens. Lights can also be dimmed to set-the-mood to suit you. My own fab/design.
What brand and how does that work? I think I just found my alternative! Too cool!
HTFireMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:24 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
On my new Ambassador, the only passenger side light was the door light. I purchased 12 ' of water-proof led strip lighting. Attached to the lvng room slide at the top, just under the topper. Ran cord over top and thru rubber seals. Did drill into cabinet where socket is. Lights are soft white (has colors also) and does a great job. When I extend the awning, light is sheilded down and does not bother other campers.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For what you want my trick would not work but the questions are the same.

Even if you were to obtain a "rope" that fit entierly inside the awning tube... The power lead to it is going to be an issue as it fails to roll up.

Now. What I did.

I ran what is called a messanger line (Simple taunt nylon rope) between the awning arms a couple inches down from the awning arm. far enough that fully rolled up the awning does not touch it.

IT holds the lights.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:24 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I mounted a 16' LED light strip (plenty on Ebay) across the bottom of my power awning roller. If you shop around you can find them in "weatherproof" versions (the LEDs are sealed in plastic.) They are only about 1/4" thick and don't interfere at all with the awing rolling up.

The fact that the roller rotates as the awning opens/closes does mean there is no way to leave the power permanently attached. I do have to get out the stepladder when I want to open or close the awning to plug in the end of the power cord to the light strip. Still, its far faster than my old way of having those cloth tab hangers and dealing with a stiing of lights and "S" hooks each time I wanted light outside.

Once plugged in, many kits come with a remote control to turn off/on, dim, and even change color in some versions.

IMHO, the Dometic lights are absurd at $199... kits are available on Ebay for far less... this is what I used... $40. Amazon.com: Abco Tech®Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft +44 Remote: Home Improvement
emiddleb is offline   Reply With Quote