Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #15

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Turns out it was one of the battery's had cooked as suggested. I have never smelt a battery before so I just went with the propane.
I took the battery (2012) and placed it outside the garage and with in 1/2 hour the smell was gone. I took it back to the place we bought it and they replaced it, cost me 71.00 bucks.
Thankyou, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Good catch.

A few years back while getting ready to hit the road from somewhere in rural Ohio, during my final walk around (with engine running)... I got the strong smell when walking around the rear of the coach.

I quickly found that I had a battery which was boiling AND bulging a lot on the sides. I shut everything down and replaced the battery but it could have been quite a mess if I hadn't taken care of it when I did.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:57 PM   #17
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Turns out it was one of the battery's had cooked as suggested. I have never smelt a battery before so I just went with the propane.
I took the battery (2012) and placed it outside the garage and with in 1/2 hour the smell was gone. I took it back to the place we bought it and they replaced it, cost me 71.00 bucks.
Thankyou, Tim
If you in fact have the old style Magnatec converter/charger, I would replace it with a Progressive Dynamic brand relatively soon. They won't boil the batteries and are much better. Additionally, as another poster mentioned, check the age of your LP detector alarm as they should be replaced generally every 5-10 yrs, no exception.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
If you in fact have the old style Magnatec converter/charger, I would replace it with a Progressive Dynamic brand relatively soon. They won't boil the batteries and are much better. Additionally, as another poster mentioned, check the age of your LP detector alarm as they should be replaced generally every 5-10 yrs, no exception.

I will look into this to see if it has a Magnatec, A few days before this smell the other 1/2 had the battery charger on over night because we had been using the Accessory @ the ignition all day and wanted to recharge the house batterys.
Just a FYI we have been useing shore power almost regular @ the S&B even in the winter with no problems. I am thinking he over charged the batteries? everything seems to be working as usual now that we re-placed that one battery.
Tim,
Thank you for the words of wisdom. Love this site.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #19
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm glad you found the source of the smell. On a different note, if you smell propane or the propane dectectors go off, turning a fan on (an ignition source) is not a great idea. Open windows and get out and shut the tank off.
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:53 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
It's back

Okay op's the smell came back yesterday afternoon. We took the new (6-`9-14) battery out and back to where we bought it and they say its a good Battery ??? What could it be ? I think its getting overcharged. We are plugged in to shore power, in the driveway.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:23 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Okay op's the smell came back yesterday afternoon. We took the new (6-`9-14) battery out and back to where we bought it and they say its a good Battery ??? What could it be ? I think its getting overcharged. We are plugged in to shore power, in the driveway.
Overcharging is the fault of the charger, not the battery. A good battery can be turned into a bad battery by overcharging. Make sure all connections, including ground, are clean. Use a multitester and check voltage at the battery terminals when plugged into shore power. If the battery is charged, a voltage of over 14 v points to a bad charger.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:43 AM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Overcharging is the fault of the charger, not the battery. A good battery can be turned into a bad battery by overcharging. Make sure all connections, including ground, are clean. Use a multitester and check voltage at the battery terminals when plugged into shore power. If the battery is charged, a voltage of over 14 v points to a bad charger.
Thanks, I don't have one of those testers. I checked the battery this am and she is pretty hot so I disconnected it. The electric station (where all the breakers and charger are) has a steady red light on which means it is charging the battery?? The other battery that is wired with this one is not hot nor is the single battery.
The guy next door has a tester but he is gone for the weekend so I will have to wait for him to get home. Is there any thing else I can do?
Thank you, Tim
Old 07-12-2014, 10:25 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd go get a multitester to keep in the RV. Useful for circuits, fuses, bulbs, small batteries and large battery health.

While this coupon is expired, check around, you can often buy one for under $20. That's a whole lot cheaper than a new battery!

Bob & Donna
Old 07-14-2014, 02:10 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
What I have is a

Progressive Dynamics Power Converter W/Charge Sentinal.

While on SP the Red light is on continually and it says on it that means;
Battery Charging
Blinking means- Battery 90% charged or more
Slow- Excessive Charge Current Blinking- On
Light off- Not charging Refer to Owners Manuel for added info.
(This is what it says on the unit)

Its on continuous and the Battery is warm to hot
I was able to check it last night and while on Shore Power the Red light is on all the time and it reads 15 on the tester. Sears tested it and they said the battery is good. (only a couple months old.)
It won't start with the batteries un-hooked even the emergency start button won't start it.
Could I take the MH on a small journey for a few Days and use shore power?
Thank you for the help & answers,
Tim
Old 07-14-2014, 03:07 PM   #25

Gulf Streamers Club
What do you mean, "it reads 15 on the tester." Is that 15 volts? If the battery is charged, that's way too high for a float charge. That could be why the battery is too hot. You really need to check that your converter/charger is working properly.

Also, you said, "It won't start with the batteries un-hooked even the emergency start button won't start it." What do you mean by 'batteries un-hooked?' The emergency start (sometimes called a 'boost switch') is meant to connect the chassis and house battery groups together, acting as jumper cables between the two battery banks. It only connects as long as you hold the button down.

With all the issues you've reported, I wouldn't recommend keeping it on shore power. The converter/charger seems to be overcharging the batteries, causing them to outgas sulfuric acid, the source of the 'rotten egg' smell. The gas is very corrosive and the battery overheating could explode, spraying the acid everywhere or cause a fire.

If you can get someone with a voltmeter to check the converter/charger, you can perhaps save your batteries and their storage compartment. To keep using it with the signs you've described could be dangerous.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-15-2014, 06:38 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
What do you mean, "it reads 15 on the tester." Is that 15 volts? If the battery is charged, that's way too high for a float charge. That could be why the battery is too hot. You really need to check that your converter/charger is working properly.

Also, you said, "It won't start with the batteries un-hooked even the emergency start button won't start it." What do you mean by 'batteries un-hooked?' The emergency start (sometimes called a 'boost switch') is meant to connect the chassis and house battery groups together, acting as jumper cables between the two battery banks. It only connects as long as you hold the button down.

With all the issues you've reported, I wouldn't recommend keeping it on shore power. The converter/charger seems to be overcharging the batteries, causing them to outgas sulfuric acid, the source of the 'rotten egg' smell. The gas is very corrosive and the battery overheating could explode, spraying the acid everywhere or cause a fire.

If you can get someone with a voltmeter to check the converter/charger, you can perhaps save your batteries and their storage compartment. To keep using it with the signs you've described could be dangerous.

The volt meter/Tester started around 13 and ended @ 15 on the meter while on shore power. We took the battery that gets warm back to Sears, they said the battery is good. We brought it home and put it back in the MH, and it got warm again so we took it out and looked at it and there was no water or liquid in the battery, we called Sears and they said we must have boiled the battery. Its only been in there a month and we just started using it a week ago and then smelt it a day or so ago.Is that possible? The neighbor thinks that the battery was dropped and cracked the battery case, we have seen no liquid in the battery compartment or on the ground where the MH sits.
In the 3 plus years we have owned the MH we have had no problems with it as far as batteries. We are taking that battery back and they will replace it. What should we do to make sure it isn't boiling the new one?
Again thanks for the help. Tim
Old 07-15-2014, 07:07 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
As Bob suggested....get a volt meter, they are free every week at Harbor Freight with a coupon. Check the battery after it is charged and if your charger does not drop down the charging voltage it is bad and cooking your battery.
Your new battery could very well have been boiled off in 30 days from a bad charger. Not Sears fault, it's the battery charger. If the charger is bad and not changed it's just a matter of time before one of the batteries explodes or catches fire.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:16 AM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I agree its not Sears Fault, they have been great to deal with they just happen to be where we got the battery.
How do I find out if it is the Progressive Dynamics Power Converter W/ Charge Sentinal. I take it that is what is over charging the battery? We have the battery's disconnected. It's only 1 of the batteries that is overcharging, the other 2 seem fine We have moved the 2 around and its the same battery no matter where it is.?
Thanks, Tim