Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2020, 11:14 AM   #1

Running dehydrator without float-charging batteries

All my outlets are on the output side of a Xantrex XC2000 inverter/charger/transfer switch. The charge function cannot be turned off when 120v is supplied. I want to run a 120v dehydrator at all times, but I don't want or need my lithium batteries sitting on the charger all winter. Should I rig up a special outlet on the input side of the Xantrex and then turn off the Xantrex input breaker? Can I power the Xantrex with the batteries disconnected ("charging into thin air")? Any other suggestions?
orangeminnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2020, 06:38 AM   #2

Do you mean a dehumidifier? Will there be a source of power by the rig all winter? You could just plug the device into that source. Maybe I need more clear info.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKins View Post
Do you mean a dehumidifier? Will there be a source of power by the rig all winter? You could just plug the device into that source. Maybe I need more clear info.
Yes: dehumidifier. We are in a very wet climate. Yes there will be power at the rig all winter. I'm planning to go with my first option, but open to suggestions! Thank you!
Old 02-26-2020, 11:48 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Run an extension cord thru a cracked open window to power your dehumidifier.
Old 02-26-2020, 10:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Run an extension cord thru a cracked open window to power your dehumidifier.
I'm an annoying Radio Engineer who can spend too much time looking for the "professional" solution, when a seat-of-the-pants solution would work just as well and save hours of time. Thanks!

Here's a question: do you think people would pay a bit extra to store their RV (at an outdoor lot), if 110v was readily available at each unit, to run trickle chargers and dehumidifiers?
Old 02-27-2020, 10:45 AM   #6

My Spartan Power 2200 pure sine wave inverter has the ability to disable the charging function. I leave my charging turned off and let the solar controllers charge the batteries.

I read the manual for yours and didn't see a way to full disable charging. It wouldn't be hard to install a sealable port to pass the extension cable through.
Old 02-27-2020, 06:18 PM   #7

And you do want to keep the lithium batteries charged thru the winter...and is there a battery protection circuit so they don't charge / get used if they are cold?
Old 02-27-2020, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
And you do want to keep the lithium batteries charged thru the winter...and is there a battery protection circuit so they don't charge / get used if they are cold?
The best for lithium is to just disconnect them for the winter. This is what I'll do once I add a pre-inverter/charger convenience outlet for the dehumidifier. It's above freezing here 80% of the time in the winter.

Tags
batteries, charging