Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2022, 07:11 AM   #1

Running two AC's at a time.

We have a bit of a particular problem. We own a 2021 Leprechaun, 30 amp service, that comes with two AC's. One is the 15k BTU with heat pump option. The other is unknown.

Coachmen offers for this particular unit two options: Either one 15k BTU AC or two 11k BTU ACs with power management.

We were told by the previous owner that the second unit was installed aftermarket. A RV technician confirmed this and added: "Bad wiring. You can't run it at the same time."

Well, I suppose it's due to the fact that both starting up at the same time would cause overload.

My question is what are our options? What can we do to make them both run at the same time?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2022, 07:51 AM   #2

Have you tried running them together?
Boogie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 08:48 AM   #3

Yes, didn't go down well when they tried to start at the same time.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:03 AM   #4

Then start them staggered.
I do that even on 50A just to go easy on the electrical. Once they are running the chances of them both starting the compressors at the same time regulating temperature are pretty slim. If it’s really hot. Just pick one and turn it all the way down so it never cuts compressor off and the other can cycle in and out.
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:05 AM   #5

Running two AC's at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_M View Post
Then start them staggered.
I do that even on 50A just to go easy on the electrical. Once they are running the chances of them both starting the compressors at the same time regulating temperature are pretty slim. If it’s really hot. Just pick one and turn it all the way down so it never cuts compressor off and the other can cycle in and out.

The other option is to add a dedicated cord to the Unit that was not original. And plug it in separately.

You will also have to manage the power to the microwave etc. anything that has a large draw.
Rob_M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #6

If you put soft starts on both you can run both on a 30 amp circuit, but would have to turn one off to use kitchen appliance.
Molfpedal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:01 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelG View Post
We have a bit of a particular problem. We own a 2021 Leprechaun, 30 amp service, that comes with two AC's. One is the 15k BTU with heat pump option. The other is unknown.

Coachmen offers for this particular unit two options: Either one 15k BTU AC or two 11k BTU ACs with power management.

We were told by the previous owner that the second unit was installed aftermarket. A RV technician confirmed this and added: "Bad wiring. You can't run it at the same time."

Well, I suppose it's due to the fact that both starting up at the same time would cause overload.

My question is what are our options? What can we do to make them both run at the same time?
As mentioned, Soft Starts can help, but you will need to still monitor the electrical usage.
https://www.softstartrv.com/
But the cost of these is around $300 each.
2017 Ram 3500 w/Aisin w/4:10
2 Dachshunds DJ (RIP 9-12-19) & Joey (RIP 5-14-21)
hamm2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:10 AM   #8

Unfortunately, without running everything through a pms it's not going to happen on a 30 amp system. Magical thinking notwithstanding. Those in 30 amp rigs with the 2 a/c's and the pms with whom I've spoken all tell me they work flawlessly.
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamm2018 View Post
As mentioned, Soft Starts can help, but you will need to still monitor the electrical usage.
https://www.softstartrv.com/
But the cost of these is around $300 each.
I worked a couple of temp gigs for a carrier distributor and we sold a hard start capacitor which I'm told is the exact same thing as a soft start capacitor, however, at a fraction of the price.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:58 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Unfortunately, without running everything through a pms it's not going to happen on a 30 amp system. Magical thinking notwithstanding. Those in 30 amp rigs with the 2 a/c's and the pms with whom I've spoken all tell me they work flawlessly.

My 30a. Winnebago can run both at the same time- no other equip. to buy. If you doubt it do a search.
Old 09-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
My 30a. Winnebago can run both at the same time- no other equip. to buy. If you doubt it do a search.
That's awesome, but for those who want to run two a/c's without having to manually shut down one applliance to run another, i.e., a blow dryer, toaster, microwave, etc. a pms is required.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by puttin View Post
Yes, you can if both ACs were for instance from the factory installed. If they came like that. Then both are sized and wired accordingly. That's the point of Coachmen offering two options. Either one big one or two small ones.

We do not run any big hungry consumers meanwhile AC is on. We did that once. Big mistake.

Anyway, is it feasible to have a power management for both installed?

or maybe scale down the second AC. That might be an option.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelG View Post
Yes, you can if both ACs were for instance from the factory installed. If they came like that. Then both are sized and wired accordingly. That's the point of Coachmen offering two options. Either one big one or two small ones.

We do not run any big hungry consumers meanwhile AC is on. We did that once. Big mistake.

Anyway, is it feasible to have a power management for both installed?

or maybe scale down the second AC. That might be an option.
Wiring is not really your issue, 12 gauge is perfectly fine for most any rooftop a/c to 20 amp ( I'm assuming your second a/c wasn't wired w/ 14 gauge which in any case is okay as long as it's not bumping 15 amps+. Yes, you can have a power management system installed, especially in your case where it sounds as though your second a/c is wired to the coach's distribution panel.
Old 09-30-2022, 02:24 PM   #14

When RV Tech made that statement did you question "WHAT do you mean by that and WHAT needs to be done to correct the BAD Wiring?

Are both A/C Units controlled by One Thermostat?
Controlled by 2 separate thermostats?
Each have their own Circuit Breaker?
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote