Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2021, 02:27 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Rusted motor shaft on roof A/C Duo Therm 57915.522c

The last time we had the camper out, I was hearing a weird vibration every time the camper would start up. It seemed like a fan blade may have been broken. Anyway, I went up today and found the reason. Unfortunately it was the fan blade, but it wasn't what I had expected! The shaft of the motor was so rusted that the fan mount had expanded and bent slightly causing a crazy wobble upon start up. Since the rest of the system works well even in FL, can I just buy a new motor for this? I assume I'll need a new fan blade and a new rear blower fan thing also since they are both most likely shot. Could anyone recommend where to get these parts at? I can see Amazon has a lot of motors, in fact they have the motor I need which I checked against the model number on the unit, but I can't find a parts diagram showing me what fan and blower fan I need. Please help!

Dometic Duo Therm 57915.522c is what I have. a 13,500btu on a duct work set up. Thanks so much in advance!

Here is a video of how bad the shaft is!
https://youtu.be/4OtX5aZvNmQ
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2021, 07:50 PM   #2

Here’s you a parts manual - http://www.cleggind.com/postal_tech/...5b1%5d.025.pdf
MrMark52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark52 View Post
This is perfect! Thanks so much!!!
carlspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am also replacing the fan motor on my Tradewinds and found ,when looking up the parts, a warning that the fans for the new units are larger and won't fit in the older ones. Sooo, before you purchase the new fans, I would go out and measure the ones you have now. I believe the new ones are one inch larger than the old ones.I have the 2001 Tradewinds 7390 LTC and it has the Brisk Air 2 ACs.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 01:18 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm not going to be able to measure the fans. The shaft is too rusted, and it has expanded which has caused the wobbling. I posted a video above, if you haven't watched it, it's almost comical. The front ac is a newer model so it wouldn't probably be the same shaft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210724_144513.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	337204  
Old 07-25-2021, 02:10 PM   #6

I would not run that motor again, even for giggles, cuz if the blade would come off, it could damage the condenser... then you would need a whole unit. BTW, have you ever washed that condenser?

Get the info off the motor and contact Dometic directly, even send the vid link.
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:20 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lol you are right I don't think that I'm saving a bunch of money with the motor though, it's only $300 cheaper for the kit than a whole ac.
Old 07-25-2021, 02:52 PM   #8

You could also try a local A/C repair company, with any luck, it could be a common item...
OldWEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:08 PM   #9

The motor should not be a problem. The fan more so. However by the look of that condenser I would hesitate to spend any money on that unit. Looks like it is close to its useby date. Might be more cost effective to bite the bullet and replace the entire unit. JMHO
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 03:32 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
The motor should not be a problem. The fan more so. However by the look of that condenser I would hesitate to spend any money on that unit. Looks like it is close to its useby date. Might be more cost effective to bite the bullet and replace the entire unit. JMHO
I agree. That's what I'm leaning toward. Just means I will have to cancel the upcoming trip we have.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:33 AM   #11

Hope you can find a replacement. I keep hearing that supply of new A/C's is very small. Maybe the motor can be rebuilt with a new shaft? Just thinking out loud .
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have found the ac. Just wasn't in the position of spending that much before a trip. If we can't go on the trip because we spent the money for an air conditioner there isn't any reason to rush and get one unfortunately.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In high humidity anything with exposed metal will rust. I was on the Gulf coast for just 2 weeks and all 3 of my A/C fan motors started running rough. Ruined the bearings.
When you install new motors, coat all exposed metal with grease or good paint.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:01 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had several Dometic units that the fan shaft rusted. Required two or three times a year oiling the shaft and a light coating of grease.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, roof, rust