Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2021, 07:37 AM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
RV Airflow System worth it?

Ok I have heard about the RV Airflow system and read reviews on it. Who here has installed this and what were your results and what are your thoughts on it?
I know I could make a system that can or does similar ,but thought I'd ask about this Airflow first. It's a lot of money for some foam shaped to size and plastic inserts. I do see where Grand Design is installing it in their units.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2021, 08:21 AM   #2

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopesNC View Post
Ok I have heard about the RV Airflow system and read reviews on it. Who here has installed this and what were your results and what are your thoughts on it?
I know I could make a system that can or does similar ,but thought I'd ask about this Airflow first. It's a lot of money for some foam shaped to size and plastic inserts. I do see where Grand Design is installing it in their units.
Installed one on my Coleman 15k located in the main living are last week.
It deletes the air shower function and forces the air flow directly in to the duct work and distributes the air evenly throughout the coach.
Thoughts are, DW and I like it for two reasons, it lowered the decibel rate in the living area from 75 to 68 now the TV volume can be lower and if you don’t like running the bedroom A/C you only need to run one A/C. There will be so much air coming out of those vents it will mess up a good hair doo if you get to close.
It does seem pricey but cutting insulation board and making your own won’t replicate the AirFlow insert.
Old 05-03-2021, 10:39 AM   #3

I've been wondering the same thing. Seems pricey for some styrofoam. But I've only seen positive reviews.
Old 05-03-2021, 06:23 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Yeah ,but so many like it and I have not found one really bad review. I know right now they don't make one for my 8298KS Signature or any of the Rockwood signature or lite 5th wheels. They are in the middle of development of one for them right now. I was just looking to see if anyone had a bad or poor report on them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ScopesNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 07:30 PM   #5

I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for a chunk of foam, besides they didn't have one for my unit.

I drew up my own design in CAD, broke it up into 1 inch thick layers. Bought a sheet of 1 inch foam from Lowe's, cut each layer to match the cross sections and assembled the sandwich. Wasn't as fancy/pretty, but it works really well, lot quieter with better airflow through the ducting. And cost less than $30.
jrollf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 08:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
Installed one on my Coleman 15k located in the main living are last week.
It deletes the air shower function and forces the air flow directly in to the duct work and distributes the air evenly throughout the coach.
Thoughts are, DW and I like it for two reasons, it lowered the decibel rate in the living area from 75 to 68 now the TV volume can be lower and if you don’t like running the bedroom A/C you only need to run one A/C. There will be so much air coming out of those vents it will mess up a good hair doo if you get to close.
It does seem pricey but cutting insulation board and making your own won’t replicate the AirFlow insert.
Did you have to trim the duct inserts. I just got mine today and it looks like I will have to trim it down about 3/4 of an inch as my duct opening is only 7 Inches.
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 03:45 AM   #7

RV Trip Wizard
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RK4RV View Post
Did you have to trim the duct inserts. I just got mine today and it looks like I will have to trim it down about 3/4 of an inch as my duct opening is only 7 Inches.
Did not have to trim anything, verify you have the correct one for your unit.
Old 06-28-2021, 07:51 AM   #8

I put one in one of the AC units in a grand design reflection. Too much money for what you get (a block of molded foam) but worked as advertised. Better airflow and cooling, quieter operation. Would have put a second in the front bedroom AC unit just had a hard time with the cost.....
Old 07-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #9

Air dump?

Just to clarify: does installing the rvairflow device stop the function of the 'air dump' (where you slide the plastic vent plastic to allow the air to drop straight down from a/c and not go to the air ducts in the ceiling)? TIA.
Pigdoc
pigdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:54 AM   #10

Yes
RK4RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 10:59 AM   #11

I bought one before measuring whether it would work in my rv thinking I could modify if needed. It is a nicely built piece, but stomaching $160+ for a piece of styrafoam is tough. My Winnebago ceiling is only 4.5 inches where we needed an extra inch to work with the unit so I sent it off to my brother who could use it.

I ended up finding a youtube video that allowed me to use a piece of 1" rigid foam from Lowes (sold in 2'x2' squares for $6) to do something similar. It did push a more noticable amount of air into the ducts when I did it.

So for those of you that can't use the purchased piece or are too cheap but are looking for an alternative check out this video.

Tags
air