Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 11:05 AM   #1

Angry RV Comfort Thermostat ZC problem

I have a 2012 Itasca Meridian 40U RV coach. It has 3 Coleman AC/Heat Pump units on two zones. The original thermostat was an RV Comfort ZC, Model 8430-331. My questions are:

• Is Model 8430A331 an appropriate replacement for Model 8430-331?

• Is Model 8330C331 also an appropriate replacement for Model 8430-331?

FYI - I have not been able to locate an 8430-331 model anywhere. Unit 840A331 is substituted when I search for 8430-331.

Problem History:
AC units would not work, the thermostat had a blank display, the first C.W. (authorized dealer) appointment I could get was three weeks in the future, and daily highs were in the upper 80s.

A local RV Service vendor replaced with the thermostat with a RV Comfort 2C Model 8330C331 (I did not know he installed a similar but different model). After installation, the Zone 2 rear AC unit, and Zone 1middle AC unit began working properly, but not the front AC unit. The following week, the Camping World AC tech found that the 12V connections under the front AC unit had corroded (I had him check the other two). Thus it appears I had two problems. The connections were replaced and the system resumed working properly.

However, a few days later the replacement thermostat began displaying 00, and the function buttons (temp setting and mode/zone) would not work. During a second visit to Camping World, the system worked perfectly for 2 hrs. (Murphy’s Law). The tech checked the thermostat chip to verify that it was the new version with 2 pink dots on it that signifies it is resistant to stray RFI signals.

Today, 00 sometimes displays temporarily, and the Zone 1 middle AC unit will not engage when the front one does. I have spent about $1,000 on this problem, and am getting frustrated - expecially since we have a two month trip from NC to the Rocky Mountains scheduled to begin in August.

I have another C.W. appointment, but am concerned that the even if he gets the middle unit working again, the system will quit working when I am traveling in Montana somewhere. Any suggestions?

Rob More
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 10:14 PM   #2

RV Comfort Thermostat ZC problem

Rob,

I had a similar problem with my 2009 Ellipse. I have a basement air unit with a Coleman thermostat. The temperature reading would changed readings arbitrary. It went from reading normal at 75, to sometimes 52, 60, 32, and also 00 causing the unit to shut down. I ordered a new thermostat ( different part number from the original because it was discontinued and replaced with a newer model) thinking that was the problem and found out that mine had a remote temperature sensor. The thermostat is located by the front door in my coach. So to my surprise, I found it had a remote temperature sensor near the middle of the coach. My problem turned out to be a lose wire on the remote sensor where it plugged into the back of the thermostat. The prong in the plug had partially backed out of the plug. I pushed the wire prong back in tightly and then no more problem. .. Now I have an extra $139 thermostat because nothing was ever wrong with the original one.. Just lose a connection. I believe it's rare that a thermostat goes bad anyway.. It's all solid state .. No moving parts .. Anyway since yours has multiple zones, I'm sure it has remote temperature sensors to. I would suspect a lose sensor wire... I hope this helps

Randy W.
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:49 AM   #3
Community Administrator

RV Comfort Thermostat ZC problem

There's a few previous threads on 12v interference causing this "00" readout. Here's a link to a choke filter which can correct this.
http://www.anyrvparts.com/search?q=8330-3301

Here's a link to some of those threads.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Chok...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #4

The 00 lockup will occur ocassionally on any of these type thermostats, due to RFI from some device in your coach. pull the 5 amp, 12 vdc fuse that powers the thermostat for 10 secs and it will reset; or get rid of the device causing the RFI (sometimes the fluorescent ballasts); or add a choke to the thermostat.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:48 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My wilson booster kills my tstat. Added choke, new stat, new wiring. Its rfi from somewhere. I learn to live with it.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
The 00 lockup will occur ocassionally on any of these type thermostats, due to RFI from some device in your coach. pull the 5 amp, 12 vdc fuse that powers the thermostat for 10 secs and it will reset; or get rid of the device causing the RFI (sometimes the fluorescent ballasts); or add a choke to the thermostat.

I forgot about that. However when I was researching my problem I too was told it was RFI causing my issue. Turned out to be a lose wire as I said above. Just throwing it out there as a possibility.

Randy W
Iwillbeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 05:22 PM   #7

thermostat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
Iam getting the 00 lockup on my thermostat pulled the fuse still not working is this the only way to do a reset for the RV Comfort Control.ZC
SATBOYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 06:30 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SATBOYZ View Post
Iam getting the 00 lockup on my thermostat pulled the fuse still not working is this the only way to do a reset for the RV Comfort Control.ZC
This is the note I made for myself the last time it did that. The next time I will cut the +12VDC wire and put a quick disconnect in for convenience. I do have the filter installed.

A friend had that problem last week, unplugged the thermostat for a 5 minutes, in OFF reconnect, wait 5 minutes then move switch to COOL. That fixed his.

Thermostat Reset with 00 code.
Switch in Off position; Remove fuse for 5 minutes; plug fuse in & wait 5 minutes; Move switch to Cool.
May have to use flashlight batteries. Disconnect all power from coach & connect 12V power to fuse & blue ground.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
Same song, different dance! Kinda.

We have model 9430-33* three unit thermostat on our 2014 Winnebago. Six months after purchase the thermostat/control unit lost power. Unplugged, replugged,, all is well. Six months later, repeat. One month later, repeat. We have dogs that stay home while we are out and in Florida we NEED to be able to depend on that unit. Any ideas to keep this from happening again??
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:53 AM   #10

New control unit? We are on our third, but that's in an 06!

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #11

Hi Randy,
It turned out that my original thermostat did go bad. I finally figured out the the correct replacement model with the manufacturer. The initial source of the problem was "dirty" power from a faulty/burned contact on my electric rewind reel for the power cable that damaged the thermostat. Fortunately my extended warranty covered the new rewind reel at $800.
Rob
roblaura is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
thermostat