Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2018, 04:33 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
Do not try. Make the decision that is best for your household.
If mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2018, 06:41 PM   #16

Old biscuit , I'm with you!
Stuff-Happens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #17

If I can get one to fit the next will be a residential. Already replaced the RV fridge once. That was a near $5000.00 replacement. I can get 2 residentials for that easy. Most of the time the CGs we use have at least power. Already have an inverter capable of running the fridge. Have a 220amp hr battery bank but would like to enlarge it. There is no problem in transit without the fridge on for at least a few hours. The trick is not to open the fridge & let the cold air fall out.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #18

Foretravel Owners Club
Just point out the MAJOR fires at Premier RV in Junction City, Oregon and the latest MAJOR fire @ Paul Evert RV in Fresno, CA.
Both were caused by faulty propane fridge's.....
We went with a residential after many years of using a LP unit.... why? fire dangers & wasted foodstuffs due to not having a true freezer.....And I like my frozen stuff to stay truly frozen/my beer always cold and the milk not going "blinkie" before it's time..
The newer LP units are not designed or built as well as the older ones of 20 years ago.

We do 80% dry camping, just set the genny to maintain the batteries (no solar..I like my pristine roof-no leaks) and don't worry about it....as I'm having ice cubes in my adult mixed drink and eating a truly frozen ice cream bar...After a day of fishing for Kokanee..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:18 PM   #19

How about the simple factor of size. When we had our Travel Supreme built in 2005, we had a 22 cu ft Amana household refrigerator, with a 3000 watt inverter and 4 golf cart batteries for the same price as a 14 cu ft RV refrigerator.

If we should have to replace the refrigerator, a new household 22 cu ft for $1200-$2000 while a 14 cu ft RV refrigerator would cost in the $4000-$5000 range.

The difference between 22 cu ft and 14 cu ft is significant.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:29 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Also called "facing reality!
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 05:24 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
It truly is a camping lifestyle issue to some degree, however I think some would be surprised how well and how long some of these resd refers run with inverters and batteries. The frequency of dry camping and duration of such is a big deal to some but cost and the frequency and performance should be a deciding factor. My resd refer cools down to 37 at start up in two hrs. and has much more room and I don't care if my wife stands there with door open to rearrange things because I know it will recover quickly.
Old 02-24-2018, 07:29 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
In my mind we are the perfect fit for a residential fridge. We only occasionally boondock staying overnight at Walmart or Cracker Barrel. Otherwise we stay at places with full hookups. We also tend to eat at the coach, so the extra space in the fridge is a good thing.

I think her main issue has to do with reliability. One of our close friends had a residential fridge in their 5th wheel that went out and could not be repaired. there was no way to get it out in one piece, so the ended up cutting it up a took it out one piece at a time. They replaced it with a small dorm room type fridge. I have since learned that he could have taken it out a window and brought a new one in the same way. Our RV fridge has performed perfectly since we got the RV a little over a year ago, so her perception is that RV fridges are more reliable than residential ones.
BTW: I am not wanting to change out our current one, I am just trying to convince her that a residential fridge is an upgrade and not a downgrade for our next coach.
LarryJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
If you purchase a rig with a factory install, more than likely your MH will come with extra batteries with that option. IMO, 4 6V batteries would be the minimum requirement. 6 or 8 batteries are better if that is an option.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:52 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
That is true not a down grade at least for you.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:54 PM   #25
4x4

Newmar Owners Club
When the time comes most likely easier to sell with a residential refrigerator too.

Also as others have said if you mainly go to campgrounds with hookups then not even a question, get the residential unit. As far as reliability I have a 2007 with the original residential refrigerator without a single problem... knock on wood...
4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 11:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJB View Post
. I have since learned that he could have taken it out a window and brought a new one in the same way. Our RV fridge has performed perfectly since we got the RV a little over a year ago, so her perception is that RV fridges are more reliable than residential ones.
The failure of the repair people was not a equipment failure; it was incompetence. Removing a window is the industry standard for aftermarket installation and removal of residential reefers. It is not a complicated issue for any reputable RV remodeling company.

In terms of reliability, they are not less reliable than absorption reefers, and they are arguably more so.

Also, it is rare to the point of being a nullity to hear of residential reefers starting fires. Google RV reefers and fire and see what you find. It might be an eye opener. And, the experience of any particular user not having such an issue does not change the reality that the issue exists.

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K
Gray01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #27

In all fairness to the absorption technology which is behind the RV frig, it has been in use for LONGER that residential frig technology, and the somewhat recent problems stem more from operating them out of level (which is right in the owners manual) and one mfg lack of a safety lockout. Those problem have been resolved and are no longer happening in current units. MY new Norcold operated better any anything I have had in the past, cools faster and is safer.

Also, the term residential frig refers to one type of compressor frig, and residential frigs themselves are WAY less dependable than years ago also, so that argument is fallacious.

REAL RV compressor frigs are available, such as Novacools etc that have 12 volt compressors and are superior in every way to just throwing a frigidaire in these rigs, but FR won't even offer them.

Again the issue with choice here is how the rig is going to be used, and if it's gonna be plugged in most of the time than a compressor fridge is preferable, unless mama don't want it.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:08 AM   #28
Community Moderator

a lot of opinions here... some good some bad...

here is my candid advice -
keep using your absorption fridge, if it works to your satisfaction, until it fails. do not waste money on it. replace it with a residential unit then...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fridge