Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2022, 07:30 PM   #1

Rv ovens no better than a storage cabinet.

Dw is on my case to compleatly
Replace our oven. I can agree its a total
Basket case. The egniter failed stripped right
Out. The oven has no real temperature control.
The wireing is thread thin.
Has anyone replaced thiers with anything
that is worth the paper the manual
Is printed on?? Its still under warrentee
But even a full replacement i think
would give us 2 months b4 we'd be having
Issues again.. Is there a company that makes
superior plug in replacements
For rvs or do i have to cut into
Our countertop and storage to replace
It with a conventional range??
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2022, 07:48 PM   #2

After using ours twice in the first year of RV ownership (seven years ago) we converted it to storage. More recently we got frustrated with the weak cooktop and replaced the whole shebang with one of these and a proper storage cabinet underneath. Years ago we replaced the microwave with an inverter microwave that we find far more useful than the conventional type.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

We are part-timers, four to five months per year. If we were full time we might have tried harder to find a usable propane oven.
hclarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:29 PM   #3

Year/brand/model of the stove/oven??

We have an Atwood/Wedgewood that is 15 yrs old.
First 7 yrs was FTng and we used it everyday to cook
One thing we learned was PRE-HEAT and 'pizza' stone to help distribute the heat

Still works pretty good.

I truly believe the newer stuff is junk.
Fridges/water heaters/stove-ovens even other components
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 08:48 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Most in our group almost never use their ovens and have purchased the newer types of counter top air fryers and other small types of ovens.

When we ordered this our third and probably our last motor home in 2013 we knew there were two items we didn't want. We didn't want an oven. The option was to add two large drawers. Our first two RV's had a booth dinette. We almost never needed the extra sleeping area and with cheap lousy cushions they were never very comfortable. We took the option to have a slide in & out table with 2- folding chairs. We've changed the folding chairs over the years to some very comfortable seats. Both changes have worked out way, way better for us.
Old 04-19-2022, 09:02 PM   #5

Perhaps a Marine version would have better quality?
Old 04-19-2022, 09:32 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Make/model/might get you a better answer but I agree, they don't make em like they used to. I remember our first 8' truck camper many moons ago had an old Travel'r brand 3 burner stovetop/oven that would rival anything made today. The oven had no pilot light and required manual lighting every time, but it held perfect temp. Cakes, cookies, brownies, cinnamon rolls, bread, biscuits, jiffy pop, you name it and the kids came running. One year on a snowmobile jamboree to Entait Wa. (actually Ardinvour/Mr. Coopers store if that means anything to anybody) it got down to near zero almost every night for about a week. Most beautiful powder you ever rode from Chelan to Wenatchee. I believe cooking sweets and breads in that old oven every night saved us from certain death lol...
I've learned to adapt to the Sharp convection oven, cooktop and outdoor kitchen, BBQ, griddle, Traeger but still miss a good indoor propane oven that bakes at a steady temp. I don't think that's asking for too much. Our last Winnie had a Suburban propane cooktop/oven that worked fairly well, fwiw.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:54 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Year/brand/model of the stove/oven??

We have an Atwood/Wedgewood that is 15 yrs old.
First 7 yrs was FTng and we used it everyday to cook
One thing we learned was PRE-HEAT and 'pizza' stone to help distribute the heat

Still works pretty good.

I truly believe the newer stuff is junk.
Fridges/water heaters/stove-ovens even other components
Same here - plus we have an oven thermometer that I spent a little time with figuring out how far off the temp settings on the knob are. We have used ours quite a bit and things turn out just fine.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:31 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Any chance you could put one of those new countertop ovens in? We have friends that rave over how well they work. You would only be able to use it on shore or genset power though.

Many years ago, we had an old camper with an oven/cooktop also. It did a lot of baking for us in the 80's. If only the appliances were as simple as they were back then these days. I'm OK with manual lighting the stove, oven or fridge.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:21 AM   #9

We use our oven as a bread box.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:15 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Rv ovens no better than a storage cabinet.

Most professional cooks would never prefer to use a gas oven , gas cooktop yes but not oven. It heat is just too uneven. A pizza stone or like can help even it out.
We have had a convection oven at home so in our mh the convection microwave combo works great. People need to get past the “microwave” in the name as when on convection the microwave isn’t in use. Convection is just a electric 400° capable oven with a fan to circulate the heat for even baking at a slightly lower temp.
We wouldn’t own a pos rv gas oven. High end Motorhomes don’t even offer them. I get if your boondocking and don’t want to generate or invert power gas may be an ok option but like camping .. you make some sacrifices when you rough it [emoji6]
Old 04-20-2022, 05:32 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Don't have one anymore, like others. We use a convection microwave and a countertop toaster oven that bakes, air frys, toasts, etc. We've had boats, TTs, motor homes, and never seen one that was worth anything on its own. The pizza stone is clever. We never tried that but have used an in oven thermometer on the few units we had that we tried using. The oven always seemed like something manufactures didn't really care much about.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:40 AM   #12

We've been fairly pleased with our vintage Magic Chef stove. Both the cook top and the oven work well. However, I prefer to light the oven with a grill lighter, so I can see when it is lit.
Old 04-20-2022, 05:45 AM   #13

I would suggest you replace the microwave with one that has convection cooking capability. Works much better than the gas ovens. Use old oven for storage.
hewebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 04:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
Make/model/might get you a .
Thanks all for your responses. I am going to look at a convection replacement but we like to cook.
And boondocking andcrunning the genset for 2hrs
While a roast is going is not going to flush. No inverter im looking for a better quality oven rangetop..the marine ones mentioned above might work

Suburban srnl is the pos we have now
varmonter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oven, storage