Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2022, 02:14 AM   #1

Rv steps

Hello,

About a month ago my rv steps quit retracting. I took it to a mechanic who ended up "using a special wrench" to retract them manually so I decided to not use them. Then on accident several days later I pushed the entry step button. They did not retract when I shut the door but about a day later they randomly retracted. Just now they extended by themselves on their own when we turned off the rv after charging the batteries for a little while. Two questions,
1. Does anyone have any idea what may cause this?
2. Does anyone know how to manually retract them?

Thank you
LarrysDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2022, 02:43 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Is there a button/switch for them? Had that happen yrs ago on older Class A.
Pain in ass for sure.
Old 01-24-2022, 03:56 AM   #3

Button/switch as in? I have a switch inside the door on the interior steps that I'm aware of and a switch on the dash next to the generator switch. Are one of these what you are referring to?
Old 01-24-2022, 04:16 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Mine did the same for a few days, in my case the cure was the copper push contacts on the door and body of the motorhome. They were not conducting electricity when the door closed. I just took some emory cloth and shined them up and everything began working as it should.

On my home the wiring is complex, first the on off switch by the door, second the ignition switch controls how the steps work and third the copper buttons detect whether the door is open or closed. Took me a while to figure all this out.

On mine there are 4 of the copper button on the hinge side of the door, two for the electric door lock and two to control steps in or out.
Old 01-24-2022, 09:08 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
What brand are the steps? Have you performed the monthly lubrication of all the pivot points? Is the battery fully charged? On my rig, the steps are powered from the chassis battery, not the coach battery. Do the steps make any noise when trying to move?
Old 01-24-2022, 11:11 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
It sounds like your steps move ok when the proper electrical contacts are completed. There are two ground connections for the step controller that should be shiny clean for the steps to work properly. They are under and behind the steps. (I just cleaned mine after 27 years of use.)

a. One is fastened to the underside of the top step on my rig.

b. One from the step controller to the frame of the chassis.

c. Turn off the battery power to the steps when working underneath to avoid shortening your fingers unexpectedly.

d. Use a wire brush or power drill attachment to clean up the contact points.

Do refer to your Kwikee Steps Manual to see the wiring diagram.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:15 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post

Do refer to your Kwikee Steps Manual to see the wiring diagram.
Not all rv steps are kwikee brand.
Old 01-25-2022, 01:11 PM   #8

I just looked and I have a kwikee products 32 series. My batteries are not fully charged as I need to put a new rotor into my generator to charge the chassis batteries.
Old 01-25-2022, 10:45 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Chassis batteries should also be charged by shore power also.
Troubleshooting steps are here.

https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001628.pdf
Old 02-01-2022, 04:45 PM   #10

When placing the screw for the top stair ground back in the bolt snapped, does anyone know where to find the bolt sizes for the kwikee 32 series?
Old 02-02-2022, 02:48 PM   #11

You should have enough left of the broken off portion to take to a NAPA to get a replacement.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:36 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Mine is just a sheet metal screw as I recall.

Ace hardware would be a good store to find what you need.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 04:09 AM   #13

New finding, with the chassis ground bolt and top stair ground bolt left unattached the stairs started moving while the rv was running.. does this prove a bad ground or potential for a different problem?
Old 02-04-2022, 01:12 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Get the grounds fixed first, you can induce all kinds of evil with bad grounds.

Tags
steps