RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2015, 11:54 AM   #1

RV Toilets; 4-bolt to 2-bolt Conversions, Part 2

Part 1 explained how to install an overlay flange so you can line closet bolts properly for a 2-bolt toilet. There is another way if you want to do the install quickly, without waiting for a new flange to arrive. Lag bolts.

The OEM flange is plastic and can be drilled. The subfloor is plywood, so attaching the commode with lag screws is a quick, easy, option. In my case, two of the eight retaining screws happened to be at exactly 3-9.

Get two lag screws of the same diameter, but 1/2" longer than the original screws (photo 1) Attach commode with them and you're done setting the toilet.

NOTE; sit on the toilet and rock a bit in order to fully seat the gasket, then tighten the screws a bit more if needed.

Now to the water supply. For whatever reason, our 2-bolt commode has water supply and foot pedal on the opposite side of the OEM toilet, so some changes have to be made.

Option 1 is to get conversion kits for silly amounts of money. Option 2 is to DIY with simple things from the hardware store. This is about option 2.

Buy a 12" or 16" faucet supply hose. It will have female ends, so you'll get a threaded nipple to install in one end. This will give you the conversion without........without.........cutting or affecting the OEM supply. (photos 2 and 3 show the parts, including plumber's tape for the threads)

Turn the OEM line so it runs along the back wall, screw in the nipple, connect the toilet to the flange, and screw the other water line to the toilet.
Tighten snugly by hand, turn on the water and flush/fill the commode.

Watch for leaks and tighten until the leaks stop. Over-tightening doesn't help you.

You have just converted for about $6 in materials (less if you don't use SS braided supply line.

Besides saving you several $20 bills in conversion kits, you've saved a lot of time. Time to R&R the toilet and convert the plumbing; about 45 minutes, taking it slow and easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	108995   Click image for larger version

Name:	031.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	108996  

Name:	032.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	108997   Click image for larger version

Name:	039.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	108998  

Name:	040.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	108999  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2015, 05:30 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Excellent job. One suggestion. Instead of a threaded nipple I would have put a valve in between the two hoses. It's just one of those things that you never know when you may need it items. When i redid the toilet in our travel trailer i put a valve in and no more than 6 months later I was thankful I did when the flush valve stuck open and the water wouldn't stop flowing.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankshaft View Post
Excellent job. One suggestion. Instead of a threaded nipple I would have put a valve in between the two hoses. It's just one of those things that you never know when you may need it items. When i redid the toilet in our travel trailer i put a valve in and no more than 6 months later I was thankful I did when the flush valve stuck open and the water wouldn't stop flowing.
I totally agree with you. Valves are cheap insurance, and I'll be changing it out shortly.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:46 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
4 Bolt to a 2 Bolt Toliet Install

I bought the adaptor kit but the base was to large to fit in my space, so got on the floor, used my leg power and a bar between bolts attached to the flange, pushed as hard as I could until finally the until flange turned. It was not glued just years of gulk. It was quite a job for this 70 year old but did it! Able to turn the flange to the 3-9 position. Drilled 10 new 1/8 in holes using flange as templete, wood was in good condition. Rescrewed wood screws through flange, set toliet on two bolts came with it. I connected the water exactly the same as in bamaboy pic, mine connected on oppsite side also. Returning the $50 adaptor kit. THIS PROJECT DONE FINALLY!!
DJBSDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:13 AM   #5

Where were these projects that call for hands 'n knees in tight spaces when we were young enough that it didn't matter?
Old 10-14-2015, 11:04 AM   #6

Make sure you use compression fittings if that is what you have. Pipe thread and compression threads are 2 different parts they may will work a while but eventually leak. With a compression fitting you do not use Teflon tape to seal the fitting. If you look inside the threaded fitting and you see a tapered cone it is a compression fitting or if the female threaded nut spins on the fitting it's a compression fitting.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:10 AM   #7

Why don't you add a photo of the two types so people can see what they have if they aren't sure?
Old 10-15-2015, 05:46 PM   #8

I don't have any to take a picture of, if your not sure go to any hardware store and they will show you what you need. I tried to explain it as best as I could.