RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2014, 07:22 PM   #1

Rv wet cell batteries or golf cart batteries!?

Hi there
In another post I mentioned we lost power and generator won't stay on. Found out today that my batteries are broken. The terminal snapped off.

So I need to get 2 new batteries.

This is new territory for me as I'm not an electrical genius nor domi like playing with big batteries

Question 1. Where is a good place to find them while on the road?
Question 2. Do,u think this is an easy enough job for me to do myself.
Obviously following directions.

It's so cold ne not having power is not good. Getting hotel for tonight but need to get this fixed ASAP.

Thx for any advice.

Sam
Ps we have a 2000 40' coachman sports coach special addition
illusionist is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2014, 07:39 PM   #2

Are you always traveling with 120VAC power incoming? Or do you camp with only battery power a lot?

Do you have tools, have a respect for electricity, and can you lift?
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The best bang for the buck is two 6v Golf Cart batteries designated as GC2. They can be had at Costco or Sam's club for $85 a piece. This gives you about 230 AHs. If you currently have 6v batteries, this is the way to go. If you currently have two 12v batteries, you would need to wire the new ones in series rather than parallel. If this confuses you, read this: http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

If you are still confused, at least get true Deep Cycle if your current batteries are 12v.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:48 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Take pictures and make a wiring diagram of the interconnect wiring before disconnecting anything. There are many threads here of people who did not and are then trying to figure out why things don't work afterwards.

Check yellow pages for a battery company. Usually a reasonable price and they will usually install for no added charge.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

We full time and boon dock 4-5 days a week. And try to stay at rv park for weekend

I have the manual to show what to do and yes I have 6volt already in there.

I was at a shop to have the work done but after 2 hours they tell me they can not do it cause they don't have the batteries. They also could not do my oil change on the generator cause they did not have the fuel filter. They also could not fix something else I needed. Needless to say won't be going back to them. Ever!

Trying to get this fixed so we can have heat and power back. Hotels are getting expensive as the nights are just too cold to stay in the rv.

Thx for your help

Dam
Old 02-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
illusionist

Just a simple thought, not sure where you are, why don't you try to find a RV park to stay at. Cheaper that a motel and that way you can run the heater to protect your plumbing while cold at night.

Tom and Barb
2000 Bounder 39Z
tnrvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 05:22 AM   #7

Tom an rv park would be great but there are none around here that can get us in. Even if they had room they were all snowed in.
We can't even find water and a dump station anywhere!

It was so much better out in the mid west and west coast. Even cold out there they had rv parks open. The ones around here are all closed for the season and the ones that are open got nothing. Hotel was the only option.
Plus there were no parks near where I have to be 8 am this morning for my shows

Hoping I between my shows I can find some one that sells the batteries and then tonight I will put them in myself before the storm hits.

Thx everyone.

Sam
Old 02-12-2014, 05:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by illusionist View Post
Trying to get this fixed so we can have heat and power back.
Is the weather below 32 degrees ? If so, how are you keeping the pipes from splitting without heat?
pasdad1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:22 AM   #9

I think many places that sell the batteries will install them for you at no or little cost. You might ask about installation along with battery price.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries