Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Cool Safe-t-alert

OK - I have posted some of this before but now more desperate. I am currently using my 2nd (in 2 years) Carbon Monoxide / Propane Gas detector. I know this model is the Safe-T-alert and suspect the first one was similar if not the same.

Both did not last very long. This one only 2 years. I got so frustrated I installed a toggle switch in line to make it easy to turn it off to get back to sleep! There is NO propane or CO2 leaks - I and others have checked it several times.

Both units did not seem to last very long - maybe 2 years at best. I looked on the units themselves to see manufacture date (to make sure I had not gotten an old one - sitting on store shelf for years!)

My trouble shooting:

1. Electrical. I believe there is a good supply of 12 volts. I put a meter on the circuit and all is good. I don't have any indications in the MH of any 12 volt issues.

2. Location. One would think Winnebago would know best - don't laugh too hard - but I am not sure. The unit is about 6 inches from the floor in the hallway between the toilet and shower. Seems like a tight space to me (hallway is maybe 2 feet wide. When DW is using the shower the 2 doors to that area are closed. She turns on the bathroom vent but still that makes for a steamy area for a few minutes.

3. Causes to set it off. I have tried to sort this out with little pattern. I actually sometimes thought it happened after I had too many beans.... seriously. And once or twice when cleaning the RV - dust I suppose.

I want to use a detector and realize the safety involved of course.

I don't want to spend extra $ but would for a unit that is worth it and works properly. If I try to relocate to another area in the MH that would be difficult at best.

Ideas appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2016, 05:47 PM   #2

Are your batteries under or nearby it ?

The gas's from charging batteries can set them off.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:51 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks twinboat

No, coach batteries about 20 feet away.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:50 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying that yours goes off even when there's no gas present? If so, mine does the same thing.
BrentB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 06:25 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentB View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying that yours goes off even when there's no gas present? If so, mine does the same thing.
Yes - I have had two in 2 years and both not reliable. Does anyone know of a quality unit that works?
Old 02-25-2016, 09:33 AM   #6

Jayco Owners Club
It seems that Safe-T-Alert (MTI) and Atwood are the only two companies making these detectors. I think I will either try an Atwood, or go back to individual detectors for CO and LPG. Before I got the combo detector I never had any problems.

Detectors on Sale! - Adventure RV
Old 02-25-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Replaced old unit

I installed a new safety alert detector early last year. It is working ok so far and I will test it today.
How long after they are installed did it take for the problems to start?

Frank
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:25 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you have a dog? I heard of one case where the dog slept in front of it, and was setting it off by passing gas.
ga80486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #9

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbuckwalter View Post
I installed a new safety alert detector early last year. It is working ok so far and I will test it today.
How long after they are installed did it take for the problems to start?

Frank
For me it was about 2.5 years.
Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine works on propane, I have no CO gas to check that function. The one I replaced would not trigger at all.

One thought is maybe some sort of transient is setting it off. Maybe radio waves?

Is there any correlation with shore power vs. battery?

There may have been a bad production run with a faulty part or mfg. process. I have seen that happen.

The warranty is one year, not what you would hope for in a safety device.

Location considerations are discussed in the manual.

Hopefully the third device will be the charm.

Frank
fbuckwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:09 AM   #11

It seems to me that this is in exactly the wrong place for a CO detector. My first suggestion would be that almost nothing does two things at once and does both well. You might try replacing it with a propane (actually flammable gas) detector and get one or two battery powered CO detectors to place properly, according to their instructions. I prefer two, one in the main area and one in the bedroom, but that may be overkill.
TomBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #12

Welcome to the ever growing list of folks who own what is probably the least reliable device in the RV industry. I've never had one that worked properly for more than two years.

I personally replaced mine with an RV rated CO detector and will depend on my nose for propane leaks.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We just got one off amazon -
5 minute swap and I'm pretty sure it's demise was hair spray in the back bath that made it too sensitive to the aged batteries right underneath it..
they've since been replaced (they were probably overcharging and boiling off)
Old 02-26-2016, 01:10 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Just ordered a new Safe-T-Alert. While at the Amazon site I read that 5 yrs. after they are installed, they are timed out, and quit functioning.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote