Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2012, 06:31 AM   #1
Community Moderator

Salt free water softener

Hey just wondering if anybody has tried this unit (or one similar) ?

http://www.smarthome.com/3260/Clearw...itioner/p.aspx

Sounds like it might help prevent hard water scale from clogging faucets and
shower heads etc.

Thanks!
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2012, 07:50 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Water Conditioner?

This was a review on Amazon that I think is pretty fair and covers some issues the user considers important.

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Clearwave Electronic Water Softener System

19 of 20 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars An honest review...please read., December 22, 2011
By

Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: Clearwave Electronic Water Softener System (Kitchen)
Ok, first off...I am the biggest skeptic ever. I never purchase things unless there are enough reviews on the item for me to make an educated guess on if it's worth my time and money. The Clearwave has mixed reviews, but there was enough positive reviews that I thought was worth finding out for myself. Plus, it's really cheap for a water softener alternative that if it didn't work it wouldn't really hurt the bank. So I decided to give it a shot.

I have had it installed for only a month. What people need to understand is this is a water conditioner, NOT a water softener. Technically, it will not soften your water at all! So many of the negative reviews I read, they are exactly right. However, as a water conditioner this device does exactly what it says it does! I did not notice any change in anything until maybe around 2 weeks. An easy way to find out if it's working is to clean your chrome areas in your tub and shower. Remember, before the chrome would not shine and sparkle after showers or baths. After the water dried it would always look filmy and dingy looking. Since I've had the Clearwave installed, all chrome looks spit shined and amazing...I almost couldn't believe it. And, even when it starts to grime up again which isn't hardly at all...it's so easy to wipe off and have shine again. Before, I'd literally have to scrape at it and use CLR to get it to look remotely close to a chrome shine. I've also noticed an improvement in the toilets. Before, it would only take a week maybe 2 to begin to see the hard water stain forming around the water's edge in the toilet...so far, there is no ring at all since I've had the Clearwave...I think that is amazing. I'm also seeing improvement in the dishwasher. The dishes have less hard water stains if any. It's pretty crazy when you actually start to notice this.

People need to realize this device isn't suppose to make hard water soft. It's purpose is to stop scaling of calcium and lime. That is why you see shinier chrome and clearer dishes because there is no more scale buildup. The same with the toilets. This is all I was wanting when I bought this thing...I knew it wasn't technically going to soften the water, I'm not an idiot. I don't even notice it in my hair like some people claim. I seem to have to use the same amount of soap and shampoo as always, so I know it's not doing everything that a water softener should be doing. But, that's ok! My goal was to lessen the scale buildup in the toilets, shower, and dishwasher. And, if I am seeing improvement in those areas I also know the washer and the water heater are in better hands as well!

I believe some of the negative reviews are because of unrealistic expectations or poor installation. You have to install this correctly or it's crap. The wires need to be coiled tight and snug, and with a minimum of 7 coils. I coiled each end to its max. I went and bought extra plastic ties to insure each end of the coils were super tight. The coils need to be as tight as possible around the actual pipe and against one another. And, the final but likely most important thing is the two wires need to be wrapped in OPPOSITE directions! Take one and begin wrapping over the pipe, while you start the other wire and begin under the pipe. If the wires are not coiled in opposite directions the device will not work well if at all. Make sure you install this on the main cold water pipe BEFORE the water heater. The manual says to try and install it before any of the cold water branches out to other pipes, so that you treat all water and not just the hot water. Due to my setup I only had enough long pipe after all the branches and just before my hot water heater. So I assumed it would only treat the hot water, which i was ok with since I was mainly concerned about my showers and dishwasher. But, I told you about the improvement in my toilets...and as far as I know toilets don't use hot water! LOL

This is an honest review after only 1 month of use. They say it only gets better the longer it's installed. If it wasn't to do anything else, that would be fine by me. For $130 to have cleaner dishes, cleaner showers, and cleaner toilets...I'll take it.

Remember, this is not a water softener! If you are expecting results to be exactly like a salt based water softener than sure, you will give this negative reviews. But, if you know it's a water conditioner only...and, you take the time to install it properly...you will be pleased with the results you get for $130. Be patient...it took me 2 weeks to see anything. I had my doubts, and I thought it was garbage at first...stick with it, and you will see.

On a side note...supposedly if your water is high in iron, this device will not work at all. Basically the iron counteracts with the electronic signals and makes the device useless. So if you did everything right, and you see nothing at all...maybe have your water tested for iron.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only controlled test I have seen are not favorable.

"Tests of nonchemical scale control devices in a once-through system. G.J.C. Limpert and J.L. Raber. Materials Performance, Vol. 24, No. 10, 40-45, (1985), Oct.

The abstract of this 10-year study at the 3M Corporation reads as follows:

"Experiments were conducted in a test heat exchanger system to evaluate 10 nonchemical scale and corrosion control devices. These devices may perform either by electrostatic, magnetic, electronic, or catalytic mechanisms. Chemical tests also compared results with non-chemical systems to insure the test conditions were not so severe that scale prevention was impossible. Water from a single deep well known to cause calcium carbonate scale when heated was used in all tests. The test heat exchanger was a two-tube shell and tube with steam applied to the shell side. Water flow was either in series or parallel through the two tubes,depending on the desired test conditions. No device tested significantly reduced the amount of scale formed, compared to the controls. Proprietary chemicals containing phosphorous reduced scale formation almost completely."

An internal report (PDF format) (Information Bridge: DOE Scientific and Technical Information - Sponsored by OSTI) by a group of engineers at the U.S. Dept of Energy's Lawrence Livermore Laboratory describes a carefully-done series of experiments that failed to reveal any beneficial effects of MWT at one of their water treatment facilities."