Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2014, 10:08 PM   #15

National RV Owners Club
I live off grid and bought a Samsung 197 with the thought of installing it in our RV but first trying it in our home instead of the Crystal Cold propane refrigerator we have used for several years. WOW! I am amazed at how efficient it appears to be. And the freezer is so very much colder than the propane refrigerator. If I have a concern about the Samsung it is the shelves are close together. You may have to put anything taller than a bottle of water on it's side, not stand it up. Yes the shelves are adjustable but it'll take a bit to work out the best storage levels. After unpacking the Samsung I don't think it will work in our particular motorhome unless I move a 12 volt power breaker box. I may look for a shorter but similar unit. Any suggestions for a shorter refrigerator unit?
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2014, 07:27 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post

After unpacking the Samsung I don't think it will work in our particular motor-home unless I move a 12 volt power breaker box. I may look for a shorter but similar unit. Any suggestions for a shorter refrigerator unit?
Bob,

Take a look at this Frigidaire model. It should fit into the same size opening that the NotSoCold comes out of without any major wood or trim modifications.

It comes in four colors and is Energy Star Rated.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 07:41 AM   #17

Quote:
I live off grid and bought a Samsung 197 with the thought of installing it in our RV but first trying it in our home instead of the Crystal Cold propane refrigerator we have used for several years. WOW! I am amazed at how efficient it appears to be. And the freezer is so very much colder than the propane refrigerator. If I have a concern about the Samsung it is the shelves are close together. You may have to put anything taller than a bottle of water on it's side, not stand it up. Yes the shelves are adjustable but it'll take a bit to work out the best storage levels. After unpacking the Samsung I don't think it will work in our particular motorhome unless I move a 12 volt power breaker box. I may look for a shorter but similar unit. Any suggestions for a shorter refrigerator unit?
Go here: Refrigerators and Freezers | AJ Madison ... Select style and check the Counter Depth block to eliminate reefers that are too deep. Look thru the reefers based on dimensions. I have no affiliation with AJ ... they do have an awesome comparative selector.
Old 03-07-2014, 04:54 PM   #18

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Bob,

Take a look at this Frigidaire model. It should fit into the same size opening that the NotSoCold comes out of without any major wood or trim modifications.

It comes in four colors and is Energy Star Rated.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Richard, Thanks for the suggestion. The Frigidaire model is short enough, about 4 inches narrower but the concern is the depth is listed as 31 3/8 while the 1200 is 24. I don't know how deep I could push the Frigidair back but it would not work if it sticks four or five inches more than the Norcold 1200. The energy comsumption is listed much lower than the Samsung but it is smaller.

Bruceisla - thanks for that webisite. It has a log of good refrigerators and I found several refrigerators that would fit: Several by Summit and a few by Dansby and the one Fridigair mentioned by Richard. Neither my wife nor I are familiar with Dansby or Summit.

I just have to keep looking.
Old 03-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Richard, Thanks for the suggestion. The Frigidaire model is short enough, about 4 inches narrower but the concern is the depth is listed as 31 3/8 while the 1200 is 24. I don't know how deep I could push the Frigidair back but it would not work if it sticks four or five inches more than the Norcold 1200. The energy comsumption is listed much lower than the Samsung but it is smaller.

Bruceisla - thanks for that webisite. It has a log of good refrigerators and I found several refrigerators that would fit: Several by Summit and a few by Dansby and the one Fridigair mentioned by Richard. Neither my wife nor I are familiar with Dansby or Summit.

I have a Summit FF1152SS installed to replace my old Dometic. I would describe the quality as "average or slightly better". It performs very well due to it's Panasonic compressor. When I say average, I refer to no bells and whistles ... it just keeps food cold and ice cream hard ... and it's very quiet. I wanted a reefer without an ice maker in order to get more freezer space. It fit without modification to the opening other than new trim at top and bottom. It is very efficient and keeps food at "food safe" temps for at least 4 hours of travel without power. Summit sells a lot of reefers for apartments and other commercial environments. At about 10cf it's more than adequate ... to keep size in perspective, it's bigger than the reefers in the first 3 homes we ever owned. No regrets.

Here's my install:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/repla...ss-149497.html
Old 03-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Richard, Thanks for the suggestion. The Frigidaire model is short enough, about 4 inches narrower but the concern is the depth is listed as 31 3/8 while the 1200 is 24. I don't know how deep I could push the Frigidaire back but it would not work if it sticks four or five inches more than the Norcold 1200. The energy consumption is listed much lower than the Samsung but it is smaller.

Bob,

When you look at the spec's specifically the dimensions, you will notice that the cabinet depth is 26 5/8 inches without the doors and handles. The Samsung cabinet depth is 24 3/8 inches without doors and handles.

My Samsung does not go all the way to the rear wall so you may have enough room for the Frigidaire to slide into the opening making sure that the face of the fridge is even with your wood trim on the edge or sticks out ever so slightly.

Your best bet is to remove the Norcold first and then take measurements to see exactly what you are dealing with and what will fit and what won't.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-07-2014, 11:23 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

We installed a 10cu ft. Danby to replace our 7.5cu ft. Norcold. Danby fridges are basic, no bells or whistles. But it keeps the freezer compartment and the fridge compartment precisely at the temperatures that I want. And it uses very little power.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 06:00 PM   #22

National RV Owners Club
Thanks - I do believe I'll pull the propane refrigerator out so I'll know for sure the space measurments.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Thanks - I do believe I'll pull the propane refrigerator out so I'll know for sure the space measurments.
Don't forget to measure your entrance doorway and figure out the logistics of getting the reefer in the RV.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
There are many different approaches to getting a residential into a coach.

People have gone in through the front door, drivers side window, windshield or another window large enough and conveniently located to do the task with ease.

My NotSoCold went out and the residential came in via the curbside salon window.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0730.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	355.5 KB
ID:	57813   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	57814  

Old 03-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #25

Richard, can you tell me which model Kill-A-Watt you have? I see a P4400 and a P4460 but sure which one to get.

Jim
rvjimzhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:43 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvjimzhr View Post

Richard, can you tell me which model Kill-A-Watt you have? I see a P4400 and a P4460 but sure which one to get.

Jim
I chose the P-4400. The P-4460 has additional calculation functions where if you know what you pay locally for one KW it will factor that information into it's program. That would be convenient for a home owner or someone who spends a long time in one area and has to pay for their electric.

We travel around too often usually to keep track of the local KW costs.

In fact once I was done with my study on the Samsung it now sits in the drawer as there is no other device on board I use significantly that I need to know how much power it consumes.

Everything else are low power consumption items.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Don't forget to measure your entrance doorway and figure out the logistics of getting the reefer in the RV.

I pulled the 1200 this morning. To pull it I found the installation instructions and figured pullling it would be reverse order of installation. Seemed to work well but the installation manual did not cover that Winnebago put straps at the top rear. I removed the screws the Norcold manual used for installation and I could wiggle it but couldn't get it out so went up and pulled the top vent and found two metal straps holding the top. Removed those and it slide out easily.

Yes, I measured the doors and the larger window so won't buy anthing larger than that window. The Norcold can go out the front door, at least by my measurements it can but if I get a larger size unit and have to remove the window I'll take the Norcold out that way. I do have a tractor with pallet forks so think I can get it in (or out) the way Richard shows it. Next step is for spouse to tell me what kind of unit I want.

Question: I have a Demensions 2000 watt inverter. Then manual says it is quasi sine wave. I'm not familiar with that phrase. Will it run the refrigerator OL? I'd suspect it will since it seems to run all the other appliances but thought I'd ask.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:02 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Question: I have a Demensions 2000 watt inverter. Then manual says it is quasi sine wave. I'm not familiar with that phrase. Will it run the refrigerator OL? I'd suspect it will since it seems to run all the other appliances but thought I'd ask.
Quasi Sine is Dimensions term for Modified Sine Wave. I know it will run a Samsung RF197 and RF217 models as Samsung has stated that specifically on their Q&A section of their web site.

Whether other models of residential fridges work on a MSW Inverter can only be answered by that manufacturer.

Dr4Film ----- Richard