RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #29

The saga continues: After much measuring and many internet searches we have found two refrigerators that will fit. One is the Frigidair1513 that Richard mentioned in an earlier post. A Frigidair 1515 will also fit and the only apparent difference is the 1515 has glass shelves and a child lock. The other one that would seem to work is a GE GTS16DBELWW. Both are similiar in size capacity. Both seem to be less expensive at Sears than other places we found on the internet. If anyone has either of those refrigerators please let me know how they work or opinions.

The website for Demensions doesn't have a FAQ but do indicate the inverters should run any appliance that has a three prong plug. I'll need to give them a call. Thanks for the comments.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2014, 07:11 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

The only differences I see between the 1513 and 1515 models are the glass shelves versus wire and the 1515 only comes in white versus the 1513 has a choice of four colors.

I believe they will both operate on a MSW inverter but do your checking first.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I have found a Fisher & Paykel unit (a little pricey) that looks really nice - RF170ADUSX4 Fisher Paykel ActiveSmart Refrigerator. Anyone have any experience with this brand? I know most of the small dishwashers that go into MHs are made by them.
Old 03-11-2014, 09:51 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Too pricey for me however, the people I know who own their dishwashers all rave about how great they are so I would assume that their fridges are equally great.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Yeah, but this one will fit height-wise and with the Samsung I would have to lower the false floor (it sits above the front heater) a few inches. Also I can get it from a local dealer for a few hundred less than internet pricing. Finally, I have heard some internet grumblings about the Samsung (even though I love their TVs).
Old 03-11-2014, 11:51 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Larry,

I totally agree with you about the height. This unit would work great for those that have LPG heaters under their present NotSoCold.

The only thing they would have to get over is the sticker shock plus the cost of installation!

I paid $1000 plus another $1600 for installing the Samsung in my coach. However, I chose a very expensive RV shop in Louisiana to do the install because they were on our route from Florida to Alaska. Their labor rate was $130 per hour AND they tax labor in LA too! It would have cost me more money in fuel to drive to another quality shop to have it done so it was a wash.

So the $2000 or so with free labor and it works out the same.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks Richard. I really didn't want to spend this much, but I have really had enough of the Norcold, and when I went to look at my unit and it just fell within the recall numbers, that was all she wrote. Add to that the RV dealer is replacing my cracked windshield next week and it seems like this is the perfect time to do it. I will have them hoist the old unit out, and put the new unit into the coach, and I will complete the installation when I get it back.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:35 PM   #36

We've installed many household refer's over the years. In the last 3 or 4 years now we've installed over 50 Samsung units and right around 6 Fisher Paykel's. They both work out very good, the reason we use the FP is for when the furnace is under the refer, yes it's quite a bit more - but it's worth it just to get the norcold out.

Someone earlier stated that Samsung will honor the warranty with the refer installed in the RV. I don't believe that to be 100% true. What we've been told by our Samsung rep, IF the unit is installed in anything other then a residential house, warranty is void. Now saying that, what we've seen happen from a couple of customers that had issues is it really comes down to the service tech. One unit had stopped working, nothing would turn on, power was good, coach has a magnum PSW inverter along with a progressive surge protector. Customer was at home when the service call was requested, tech showed up at the house and when told the unit was in the coach, the tech wouldn't even go look at it, got in his truck and drove away. We brought the coach to the shop, (my shop) and we pulled the refer out and the customer took it home and put it in his garage. Called back in for service and the same tech was sent out, he fixed it under warranty. We put it back in and it's been fine. Never even questioned him about it being in the rv on his last visit, almost like he forgot he'd been there before?
Another customer was having issues (can't remember what, ice maker if memory serves) and was out of town, somewhere in the southwest. He called a service tech and it was repaired, no charge, in the coach, no questions about it being in the rv....

I really think it comes down to the tech, probably what kind of day he/she is having? But because our rep say's no warranty, we always tell our customers that - No warranty from Samsung once installed in a mobile application, unless it's pulled out and at your house when the tech comes.

Jim Lewis
Infinity Coach
InfinityJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityJim View Post
We've installed many household refer's over the years. In the last 3 or 4 years now we've installed over 50 Samsung units and right around 6 Fisher Paykel's. They both work out very good, the reason we use the FP is for when the furnace is under the refer, yes it's quite a bit more - but it's worth it just to get the norcold out.

Someone earlier stated that Samsung will honor the warranty with the refer installed in the RV. I don't believe that to be 100% true. What we've been told by our Samsung rep, IF the unit is installed in anything other then a residential house, warranty is void. Now saying that, what we've seen happen from a couple of customers that had issues is it really comes down to the service tech. One unit had stopped working, nothing would turn on, power was good, coach has a magnum PSW inverter along with a progressive surge protector. Customer was at home when the service call was requested, tech showed up at the house and when told the unit was in the coach, the tech wouldn't even go look at it, got in his truck and drove away. We brought the coach to the shop, (my shop) and we pulled the refer out and the customer took it home and put it in his garage. Called back in for service and the same tech was sent out, he fixed it under warranty. We put it back in and it's been fine. Never even questioned him about it being in the rv on his last visit, almost like he forgot he'd been there before?
Another customer was having issues (can't remember what, ice maker if memory serves) and was out of town, somewhere in the southwest. He called a service tech and it was repaired, no charge, in the coach, no questions about it being in the rv....

I really think it comes down to the tech, probably what kind of day he/she is having? But because our rep say's no warranty, we always tell our customers that - No warranty from Samsung once installed in a mobile application, unless it's pulled out and at your house when the tech comes.

Jim Lewis
Infinity Coach

Hmmm .... that's a little different from the stated Warranty. They "might" make the argument that they only provide "in-home" service. That, however doesn't void a warranty. Might mean you would have to move the reefer to the/a home for service (as mentioned). It's not unusual for manufacturer reps to use "void" far too loosely.

From Samsung:

"In-home service will be provided during the warranty labor period subject to availability within the contiguous United States. In-home service is not available in all areas. To receive in-home service, the product must be unobstructed and accessible from floor level to service personnel. If during in-home service repair cannot be completed, it may be necessary to remove, repair and return the product. If in-home service is unavailable, SAMSUNG may elect, at our option, to provide for transportation of our choice to and from a SAMSUNG authorized service center. Otherwise, transportation to and from the SAMSUNG authorized service center is the responsibility of the purchaser."
Old 03-11-2014, 12:57 PM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Interesting. I called Fisher Paykel to ask about the ability to operate on a generator or inverter with a modified sine wave output, and they said no problem as long as it was a quality unit. Told them it was for a motorhome and they did not say anything about warranty issues.

And Jim, did you get any feed back on how the people liked their FP units?
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushedAround View Post
Yeah, but this one will fit height-wise and with the Samsung I would have to lower the false floor (it sits above the front heater) a few inches. Also I can get it from a local dealer for a few hundred less than internet pricing. Finally, I have heard some internet grumblings about the Samsung (even though I love their TVs).

FYI - I looked at this one on the internet and it is to tall to fit in the opening where my Norcold was. Width and depth are OK but height is 67.5 inches. My height opening is 63.5 inches.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #40

I brought mine through the windshield when it was being replaced. Made for an easy job. I saw a blog where someone showed step by step installation of the Samsung and lowering the floor where a heater vent was. I didn't keep it, but it was very detailed. With enough Googling, you could find it.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:10 PM   #41

Here's the link
http://here4now.typepad.com/here4now...or-part-2.html
Old 03-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Here is a thread posted by what used to be Diplomat Don who has now changed his name to DutchStar Don as he has now switched coaches.

These are threads about installing residential fridges over heaters.

Here is his thread and explanation.

Here is another good thread.

Dr4Film ----- Richard