Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #1

Samsung RF18HFEN on sale

A friend of mine replaced his Norcold with a Samsung RF18HFENBBC (black) and is very happy. I wanted to go with the Amish cooling unit but because the Samsung is on sale at HD and because my friend is so happy with his conversion this is what I am going with:

Samsung 33 in. W 17.5 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel, Counter Depth-RF18HFENBSR at The Home Depot
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
That's less than I paid for my Samsung 197. Sounds like a good deal.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That's a great deal! Like 1ciderdog said, less than I paid for my RF197 too.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 11:34 PM   #4

Daniel,
Interesting that HD has the new unit on sale at such a price. This is very close to the HD price when they were closing out the old RF197 line.

Has your friend tried running his refer on a MSW inverter? That is really the only "open point" on the viability of this new unit. (In case you are not aware, the RF18 uses a whole different compressor technology than the RF197.) Many of us, myself included, are very interested to see if the new technology represented in this new unit will work well with an inverter.

Please keep us updated on how this is working for your friend.
Bob
Old 11-10-2014, 11:49 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My problems will be, an MSW inverter and no room for anything larger than about 8-9 CF.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Daniel,
Interesting that HD has the new unit on sale at such a price. This is very close to the HD price when they were closing out the old RF197 line.

Has your friend tried running his refer on a MSW inverter? That is really the only "open point" on the viability of this new unit. (In case you are not aware, the RF18 uses a whole different compressor technology than the RF197.) Many of us, myself included, are very interested to see if the new technology represented in this new unit will work well with an inverter.

Please keep us updated on how this is working for your friend.
Bob
I just spoke to friend, he has a PSW inverter, then spoke to the installer and he said that he thought the rf18 was the same as the 197 except they moved the electronics to the top which could be why the refrigerator is 1" taller... Where did you see about the dif. compressor technology??
Old 11-15-2014, 04:40 PM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
My problems will be, an MSW inverter and no room for anything larger than about 8-9 CF.
Might not be too much of a problem. Our Norcold was 7.5 CF. We found several different residential fridges that were an exact size match for the hole in the cabinet. We chose the cheapest available, a Danby 10 CF fridge. It worked fine on our MSW inverter. When our MSW inverter failed, we replaced it with a PSW inverter. The fridge continues to work well.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 07:07 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Jim View Post
Might not be too much of a problem. Our Norcold was 7.5 CF. We found several different residential fridges that were an exact size match for the hole in the cabinet. We chose the cheapest available, a Danby 10 CF fridge. It worked fine on our MSW inverter. When our MSW inverter failed, we replaced it with a PSW inverter. The fridge continues to work well.
I'll do the same with the inverter when/if it goes but it's still doing just fine. The Danby would be OK too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHIDan View Post
I just spoke to friend, he has a PSW inverter, then spoke to the installer and he said that he thought the rf18 was the same as the 197 except they moved the electronics to the top which could be why the refrigerator is 1" taller... Where did you see about the dif. compressor technology??
Daniel,
Sorry for the delay getting back. We have had our youngest granddaughter over for the last 3 days and have done nothing else but watch her.

Here is a general discussion about the new technology.
And here is the reference on the Samsung page. (Check in the warranty section.) It is easy to spot where they have introduced the inverter compressor since they add a 10 year warranty on the compressor unit. (Apparently, to mitigate any concern about the new technology.)

I like the concept of this new compressor (although I think some of the videos are misleading), but there is no documentation on how it works, or does not work, with MSW in the RV market. Samsung was about the only company who came out in writing that they would warranty their old compressors on MSW inverters.

I suspect that things will prove to work OK. But, it would be nice to hear of actual experiences. The really nice thing is that they kept the same dimensions on the RF18.. as the RF197... . So, all the knowledge gained from the conversions documented remain the same.

Bob
Old 11-17-2014, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
Daniel,
Sorry for the delay getting back. We have had our youngest granddaughter over for the last 3 days and have done nothing else but watch her.

Here is a general discussion about the new technology.
And here is the reference on the Samsung page. (Check in the warranty section.) It is easy to spot where they have introduced the inverter compressor since they add a 10 year warranty on the compressor unit. (Apparently, to mitigate any concern about the new technology.)

I like the concept of this new compressor (although I think some of the videos are misleading), but there is no documentation on how it works, or does not work, with MSW in the RV market. Samsung was about the only company who came out in writing that they would warranty their old compressors on MSW inverters.

I suspect that things will prove to work OK. But, it would be nice to hear of actual experiences. The really nice thing is that they kept the same dimensions on the RF18.. as the RF197... . So, all the knowledge gained from the conversions documented remain the same.

Bob
Thank you Bob, interesting read about this new technology and how this refrigerator never turns on/off totally with thermostat. It is always gradually slowing down or speeding up to maintain constant temperature. This means no power surge, easier on inverter...

I opened an on-line chat with a Samsung rep. (not expecting too much) and instead of a lack of info (which I expected) he fed me with some dis-information. He said that when the compressor starts I would need 1500 watts... He had no clue about MSW or PSW...

From an electronics background, I suspect that MSW will work as the power to this refrigerator is most likely converted to DC very close to the input.

I am going ahead with my purchase, I am on shore 98% of the time so I think I will plug in to shore power (and not inverter) and eventually upgrade my Magnum from a MSW to a PSW with more watts.
Old 11-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #11

Daniel,
Like you, I too believe that whatever electronics is involved with the new compressor should work with a MSW inverter. But, they have clearly moved from a purely inductive load to some sort of switching power supply. I was able to find a Samsung "inverter" replacement board on a supply site that referenced converting the voltage from 120 to 240 for the "inverter compressor". So, it looks like there is some up-scaling of the voltages on this thing.

And, like you, I think there is as much misinformation as good information. I know the video makes it look like this thing runs all the time, but that would not be practical. It obviously starts slow when turned on and then builds up speed if an additional temperature drop is registered. They are apparently narrowing the gap between on and off temperatures and the corresponding swings when cooling.

Bob
Old 11-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #12

looks like Lowe's in Canada still has some Samsung 197's:
Samsung RF197ACRS/XAC ENERGY STAR 17.8 cubic ft French Door Counter-Depth Refrigerator | Lowe's Canada
Old 12-20-2014, 02:52 PM   #13

The RF18 is the most quiet refrigerator I have ever seen. Seems to work just the same on MSW inverter...
Old 01-04-2015, 04:15 PM   #14

Samsung RF18HFENBSR ref.

For those interested in the RF18HFENBSR, the replacement ref. for the Samsung 197, it can be bought from US Appliance for $1245 delivered and no tax.

Your Shopping Cart

Happy New Years to All!
lburson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale