Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2011, 12:29 AM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepill View Post
A good reason to use an inline filter. Cheap insurance.
We have an inline whole house filter built in, so far we haven't really needed it but........
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2011, 03:36 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandClaudia View Post
Just shows you have TRUE GRIT--Just like John Wayne!
That's pretty big talk... for a one eyed, fat man.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:26 AM   #31

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest cleaning your black tank with a pressure washer.

There are septic companies that have specialized equipment for this purpose.

One good power washing should take care of it along with whatever else may be in the tank. You will be starting out with one of the cleanest black tanks found except for a brand new one straight from the factory and most of those have been known to come with leftover plastic junk from the installation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 09:40 AM   #32

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I would suggest cleaning your black tank with a pressure washer.

There are septic companies that have specialized equipment for this purpose.

One good power washing should take care of it along with whatever else may be in the tank. You will be starting out with one of the cleanest black tanks found except for a brand new one straight from the factory and most of those have been known to come with leftover plastic junk from the installation.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Now there is an idea! I've never seen anyone come up with that for how to deal with poop pyramids, either.
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #33
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
didn't see this mentioned, but the sink in your bathroom will drain into the black tank (the shower usually doesn't); therefore, anyone washing their hands in there or taking a sponge bath will send whatever dirt down to the black tank.

We learned this the hard way as the kids are used to washing their hands in the bathroom and we dry camp alot in the desert - they filled up the black tank rather quickly with water on one of our first trips.
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #34

FWIW: years ago (at the stick house) we had trouble with the washing machine located in the basement. Turns out the screen filter on the incoming cold water was filled with sand. Turns out, the water pipe in the street was broken on the water companies side of the shut off. We opted to replace our portion of the supply line (from street shut off in) at that time since they paid to dig the street up.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #35

I don't think it is a normal configuration for the sink to drain to the black tank. But I could be wrong
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #36

As I posted in another thread; the next time you dump, empty both tanks, leave one valve open and turn on the sink faucet. Need I say more?

Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 AM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I don't think it is a normal configuration for the sink to drain to the black tank. But I could be wrong
a few years back, some of the bright designers at the factorys, came up with the idea of running the water from the bathroom sink into the black tank. The idea was it would add more water and help clean out the black tank. Airstream motorhomes was one of them.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #38

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
a few years back, some of the bright designers at the factorys, came up with the idea of running the water from the bathroom sink into the black tank. The idea was it would add more water and help clean out the black tank. Airstream motorhomes was one of them.
I figured it just depended on where the black tank ended up. I.E. depending on the unit layout and the plumbing, it was sometimes easier to route the shower or bathroom sink to the black tank rather than the grey tank.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #39

I actually wish my kitchen sink would drain into the black and the shower into the grey. That way it would balance the usage of the tanks and I wouldn't be standing in water after 3 days of my extended hot showers. I do have my grey plumbed to the black with a spare water pump, so I can pump excess grey into the black if it gets too full.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
In my last rig the shower and vanity went to the black tank, so the showering off of snad from the beach theory has possibilities.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
I figured it just depended on where the black tank ended up. I.E. depending on the unit layout and the plumbing, it was sometimes easier to route the shower or bathroom sink to the black tank rather than the grey tank.
I wasn't guessing at this. Each December there is a dealers show in Louisville, Kty. It is not open to the public. (I wish it was) You get to meet the designers of the Chassis, Motorhomes, Generators, Awning, etc. They actually listen to your feedback. That is why Ford came up with the new F53 air intake for the earlier 2 valve V10 engine. They quit dumping the bathroom sink water into the black tank, because we (the dealers) had so much negative feedback from our dry camper customers. I have worked on hundreds (probably thousands) of motorhomes. The black tank is always almost directly under the commode. It would be easier to run the bathroom sink into black tank every time.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I wasn't guessing at this. Each December there is a dealers show in Louisville, Kty. It is not open to the public. (I wish it was) You get to meet the designers of the Chassis, Motorhomes, Generators, Awning, etc. They actually listen to your feedback. That is why Ford came up with the new F53 air intake for the earlier 2 valve V10 engine. They quit dumping the bathroom sink water into the black tank, because we (the dealers) had so much negative feedback from our dry camper customers. I have worked on hundreds (probably thousands) of motorhomes. The black tank is always almost directly under the commode. It would be easier to run the bathroom sink into black tank every time.
I could see where this is a catch 22 for the manufactures. I don't dry camp and would like the sinks to run into the black tank so the grey wouldn't smell so bad and I wouldn't have to press the toilet pedal down to fill it up with water before dumping. I can see where this wouldn't work dry camping.

Maybe they could put in a valve you could pull so you could direct the lines to any tank you wanted. It would only be a few dollars extra of parts and labor to do it and satisfy all.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank, water