Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-06-2011, 02:36 PM   #1

Sani-Con Macerator issues

First time to have a coach equiped with a macerator (thank goodness it also has the old manual dump as well) It is a Sani-Con. The motor runs ok - we can hear it spinning, but there is no suction and nothing is extracted from the tanks. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
nuckels11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #2

I had a sani con on my diplomat. It did fine but every once and while it would just get clogged up with stuff. The first time was the worst. I had a smell that was coming into the coach. Turns out that the macerator was pumping out the liquid but some of the solid was staying not too much but dump after dump it would build up. I had the dam thing off and thought the valve was closed but I could see some crud a few inches up the pipe. So I put on two sets of gloves and grabbed a stick to poke up in there. Well let's just say that was when I found out that my valve was being held open by some solid stuff and that was all that was holding about twenty gallons of the good stuff up in the tank. Before I could close the valve I had it all in my lap and running down the driveway. I fixed the sani con by placing it in the trash can and I now dump the old fashioned way. IMHO remove it and be happy. Good luck
nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi nuckels11,
On the end of the motor there is a small metal shaft end. Does this spin when the motor is on?

If yes, the problem may be a blockage that the waste is not getting into the macerator.

If yes, there is a remote chance the blade arms have broken from the drive shaft.

If no, the drive shaft has broken from the motor.

In all cases, you'll need to remove the macerator to determine the failure.

Once repaired do not worry about continuing with the macerator. My unit has been on the coach for over 3 years. It has always worked as advertised.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bob, the macerator will burn up if you do not open your dump valves from tanks so water will be pumped by macerator pump.
Tanks drain by gravity flow out of them through MP.
The MP will break up solids and pump up a grade or great distance from motor home.
Nothing other than body solids or you will jam the pump and can lead to a RV Movie experience.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:32 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckels11 View Post
First time to have a coach equiped with a macerator (thank goodness it also has the old manual dump as well) It is a Sani-Con. The motor runs ok - we can hear it spinning, but there is no suction and nothing is extracted from the tanks. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I have had my Sani-Con pump apart several times, and it's really a very simple procedure. Can I recommend that you try it! A through flush with clean water prior to the assembly is strongly recommended

The suction is created by a hard rubber impeller. I suppose that it would be possible for the motor to have the spindle (drive shaft) go round without "getting a grip" on the impeller. As I said - take it apart and check on the mechanics - it's really simple.

I had a problem with the thin rubber gasket that seals the whole thing. it just disintegrated. I went down the autoparts store and bought a small sheet of "do-it-yourself" cork gasket material. Used the remains of the old gasket as a model and cut a new cork gasket. Haven't had a problem since.

As for things that clogs up the macerator. If only things that has passed through you, plus suitable RV friendly toilet tissue goes into the tank, I believe that you will never have a problem with anything getting stuck. If of course also requires that you use a suitable amount of water when flushing.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I just remembered that I did take a picture when taking apart the unit.

Here I have just removed a few screw from the units inlet side. This reveals the blades that cut through "the goodies" before it hits the impeller. You could try to switch on the power to the pump at this stage to see if the blades are rotating, but MIND FINGERS

Note the way the blades are orientated and then remove the nut that holds them in place. You can now lift the stainless cover and you will see the impeller. Could it have ripped off the fan blades somehow??

This is all there is to it. Give it a go.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had my impeller disintegrate, not from running dry, nor using chemicals. Hmmm. I ordered parts from the nice folks at Maceratorpumps.com.
As I wanted to convert my SaniCon to removable, or portable, unit, they were nice enough to cutom make a banjo fitting to attach to my existing macerator motor. The blue fitting they show on their website is too large in diameter.

I can keep it stowed in a sealed box and now don't have the unpleasant odor emanating from my wet bay. I'm happy with the quicker slinky and just use the SaniCon for special situations.

New Impeller

Special made fitting

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:24 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Danes Are Coming View Post
I had a problem with the thin rubber gasket that seals the whole thing. it just disintegrated. I went down the autoparts store and bought a small sheet of "do-it-yourself" cork gasket material. Used the remains of the old gasket as a model and cut a new cork gasket. Haven't had a problem since.
Mine is a Flo-Jet portable.. Same issue/solution.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:32 AM   #9

We have a flo jet portable and used it all last summer when park hosting. We had to pump the "stuff" 100 feet away. It did a fine job but when we left discovered that our tank had sludge build up in it from the slow drain of the macerator. We will never use it again for an extended period of time, only when necessary. It took us about 2 weeks of ice, detergent, toilet chemical, whatever we could throw down there to get the build up "whooshed" out.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 PM   #10

Thanks for all the info on the macerator. It sounds like the good old fashioned gravity method is the most reliable, so we will probably continue with that method. We haven't had any problem with odors and the tanks appear to drain just fine using the gravity method. Even the tank monitoring system appears to be pretty accurate.
nuckels11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes the old method (Gravity) is most reliable, However there are times when it's just not practical.

For example once last spring I needed nearly 50 feet of hose and the outlet was level with the sewer inlet too boot,, now with 3" stinky slinky.. not possible.

But with the good old macerator.. no problem. And that is but one example among many I've "enjoyed" in 2 years of full timing.

The best plan: Have both options in case you need the other one.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:42 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
I use two female hose fittings coupled together than I can back flush the macerator pump and clear any blockage..it happens!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:32 PM   #13

Well I've had blockage problems twice. the first was when a guest tossed a facial wipe down the toilet. Doesn't dissolve nor is it chewed up by the blades. Was able to reach it after taking off the hoses and pulling it out. The second time the system started to drain more slowly, then almost stopped. Taking it apart back to the blades revealed enough hair wrapped around the blades to make a small wig - okay this is a bit of an exaggeration! Unwrapping it all took some time but solved the problem.
TurtleBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #14

Location: Lake OZ,MO summer-RiverBend Motorcoach Resort,FL winter
The macerators are a joke, unless boondocking and using a cart tank. If full timing and using a macerator will only lead to a tank with a mountain of sluge displacing volume, that if allowed to dry when not in use will dry to a brick of $^%& that will take weeks at best, of intermitent use to re-soak and dispose of. I have seen this many times with people buying a "low mileage" unit that has been parked. If the unit has a macerator built in, you will most likely have a "hidden" problem and a tank that has half the capacity as specified.
Buyers be aware of low mileage coaches or RV's that have a macerator in the system...you might have some unpleasant issues as many that fall for the ease and clean dump, automatic reels, etc., especially if the unit has been used for long stays in one or two locations. Use gravity and a 3" dump, flush, it works best. I have seen countless RV's that bought these systems and the owners using them weekly (with some pride) and with no knowledge of what they are doing that they can not see. The above posts attest to this. End of story.