Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Sanitizing Fresh Water Tank

I use compressed air to blow out the water lines at the end of the season. I then put the "pink stuff" in the P traps. The black, grey and fresh water tanks are emptied (black is flushed).

My question is concerning the sanitizing the fresh water tank in the spring. I had been using an appropriate amount of bleach and filling the 80+ gallon fresh water tank and letting it sit for about 6 hours. I then drained and flushed afterwards. Do I really need to sanitize that way as the fresh water tank sits empty over the winter? I am thinking maby I should add about 30 gallons of water with the appropriate amount of bleach and drive around letting the water sort of splash around inside the tank. I would then drain and flush (about 30 gallons of water) and drive around to let the flush water splash for a while.

Does that sound like a viable plan or am I missing something?
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2016, 07:41 AM   #2

I do the same as you but my tank only holds 25 gallons. I dont let it sit i drain it right away. I turn on the pump and open a beer. I walk around and open each faucet for a while so the bleach water gets through all the lines. I live out in the country so I can just leave the grey water valve open and drain it on the ground.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
I use compressed air to blow out the water lines at the end of the season. I then put the "pink stuff" in the P traps. The black, grey and fresh water tanks are emptied (black is flushed).

My question is concerning the sanitizing the fresh water tank in the spring. I had been using an appropriate amount of bleach and filling the 80+ gallon fresh water tank and letting it sit for about 6 hours. I then drained and flushed afterwards. Do I really need to sanitize that way as the fresh water tank sits empty over the winter? I am thinking maby I should add about 30 gallons of water with the appropriate amount of bleach and drive around letting the water sort of splash around inside the tank. I would then drain and flush (about 30 gallons of water) and drive around to let the flush water splash for a while.
Does that sound like a viable plan or am I missing something?
codgerbill
My fresh water tank and fresh water system has only been "sanitized" twice in 20 years....(once when the coach was new and once when it was 16 years old).
Mel
'96 Safari, (148k miles)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:57 PM   #4

The top of the tank can harbor mold/mildew - it might take more than 30 gallons, but as long as it gets really wetted with bleach water sloshing around as you drive you should be good. My initial rig was a truck camper - VERY basic - but it had clear vinyl water lines from the fresh water tank. Now I know why they use opaque tubing!!! I ended up replacing that original water line - amazing what collected/grew in it - YUCK! I make sure I sanitize my rigs after de-winterizing, and again mid-season if I get any questionable water... ST

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We sanitize every time we un-winterize the coach. Typically, I fill the freshwater tank adding the prescribed bleach solution while we're home ... as it's filling, I'll run the bleach solution thru the faucet, shower, washer/dryer, toilet and icemaker lines as well. We then drive to our destination (usually a short weekend jaunt to one of the nearby campgrounds). Upon arrival - I'll run the fresh tank dry and then dump. I'll fill the fresh tank again ... and run that dry (rinsing out the bleach solution pretty well). I'll reload another tankful of fresh - which is the tankful of potable water we start our season with.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply's. My problem is that I dont feel comfortable not sanitizing and my coach is stored in a lot. I have "de-winterized" every year by going to a campground in March or April and using the same method that SpaceNorman uses. I spend the day and night in the campground filling (with appropriate amount of bleach), waiting, dumping. Then filling about 1/3 and driving around to let the fresh water slosh around then dumping again. It is sorta a PTA but it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I was good to go. I was just wondering if it is all that necessary as the tank and water lines are all empty.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-03-2016, 04:24 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One thing I do when filling the water tank is to put one cup of bleach into the end of my water hose then attach it to the coach and fill. Fill the tank half way, flush everything. Leave the remaining in the tank and dump when at site. My hose is clean, tank clean, I flush if needed. Tank water is usually just for cleaning.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for the reply Bruce. I do pretty much the same as you. After the de-winterizing I will fill the fresh water tank about 1/4 full or so. I have 2 filters , one outside and another under the galley sink (both get replaced every spring). The one outside is a cartridge type and I remove the cartridge and put the appropriate amount of bleach in the container then fill the water tank to begin the sanatizing. I dump most of the water bleach by parking over a street sewer drain and some in the black/grey tanks. I will dump the bleach/water solution from the black and grey tanks at the first campout.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
Thanks for the reply's. My problem is that I dont feel comfortable not sanitizing and my coach is stored in a lot. I have "de-winterized" every year by going to a campground in March or April and using the same method that SpaceNorman uses. I spend the day and night in the campground filling (with appropriate amount of bleach), waiting, dumping. Then filling about 1/3 and driving around to let the fresh water slosh around then dumping again. It is sorta a PTA but it gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling that I was good to go. I was just wondering if it is all that necessary as the tank and water lines are all empty.
codgerbill
Each of us does what we have to do to feel comfortable... (whether it is necessary or not).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Well perhaps comfort may not be the best choice of words. The jist of the post is more on the line of having water that will be safe to drink.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a formula for how much bleach to add for each gallon. I google it each year(keep telling myself to write it down) and put that much bleach in my hose and fill the tank until it starts to overflow. Shut the water off, let it sit while I wash the coach, and then open all the faucets and turn the water pump on.

After a short amount of time, I turn the faucets off and drain the fresh water tank. After it's drained I repeat the process with just fresh water. Better safe than sorry.

Brian
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 03:26 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks Brian.

The only difference, for me, is that
after the bleach water is gone I fill tank about 1/3 and drive the coach for a while than drain it. It is a PITA and I was hoping that someone would have a easier way to de-winterize.
2007 Jeep Wrangler
Old 04-04-2016, 05:03 AM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

We have started using Sodium Dichlor(swimming pool stuff), there is no after taste which we have always gotten when we used bleach. Here is an article.

How to Sanitize Your RV Fresh Water System

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:26 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
This is the stuff to use and for good reason. I hear some of you don't sanitize at all and that is very scary apparently they have never been to a compromised water source good luck with that! Now days "bugs" have become much more resistant to common disinfectants. Many "bugs" have hard shells that totally resist bleach and they survive. This is a two part system that first softens those shells then the second step kills them. Still in some cases they are so resistant they can still survive but to our advantage they are rendered sterile resulting in a positive outcome and life goes on. Robot Check
Just wanted to add bleach is hard on plumbing it is after all corrosive in nature seals/fittings can be compromised over time.
DCBerry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water