Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 04:19 PM   #1

Schwintek, Lippert slide out

I have a 2014 Solera with a rear bedroom slide problem. When either putting the slide in or out it will move 6 to 8 inches and stop, one side will move about 2 inches further than the other one causing it to bind and stop. I get the trouble code 8, which says, There is a wire short between controller and motor (error named "Hall signal not present on rev. B controller)" The description of the problem is, Encoder is not providing a signal, which is usually a wiring problem.
I have traced the wires as well as I am able to with no apparent shorts, kinks or pins not making contact. Both motors work and until it gets in a bind it moves the short distance with no problems. I have 2 slide outs and have exchanged one controller for the other with the same result, so it is definitely not the controller. After it gets in a bind I have disconnected the motor that has gone further in or out and ran just one motor to straighten it out, then reconnecting the other motor and try again with the same binding result. I am able to get the slide fully extended or retracted by pushing the switch either in or out and then reversing the direction for about an inch then proceeding to the other direction until it binds and stops after 6 or 8 inches.
Rather a lengthy description, but if someone has had the same problem they will understand. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Paul Huyck
paulhuyck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhuyck View Post
I have a 2014 Solera with a rear bedroom slide problem. When either putting the slide in or out it will move 6 to 8 inches and stop, one side will move about 2 inches further than the other one causing it to bind and stop. I get the trouble code 8, which says, There is a wire short between controller and motor (error named "Hall signal not present on rev. B controller)" The description of the problem is, Encoder is not providing a signal, which is usually a wiring problem.
I have traced the wires as well as I am able to with no apparent shorts, kinks or pins not making contact. Both motors work and until it gets in a bind it moves the short distance with no problems. I have 2 slide outs and have exchanged one controller for the other with the same result, so it is definitely not the controller. After it gets in a bind I have disconnected the motor that has gone further in or out and ran just one motor to straighten it out, then reconnecting the other motor and try again with the same binding result. I am able to get the slide fully extended or retracted by pushing the switch either in or out and then reversing the direction for about an inch then proceeding to the other direction until it binds and stops after 6 or 8 inches.
Rather a lengthy description, but if someone has had the same problem they will understand. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Paul Huyck
ZERO CALBRATION

The Controller counts the revolution of each motor to keep it in sync. If the slide motors get out of sync do this:

Bring the slide in 8" or so and run back out. Do this a minimum of 3 times, which will get the motors back in sync. Always hold the switch until the motor stops, as this will help keep the motors in sync as well.

I had a similar problem on my bedroom slide where one side would not move when the other did. I also had code 8, and after checking everything ended up wiggling the motor/wiring harness connection from the outside. Has been work for the last fine for the last couple of months.
marco1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The controller is telling you it is not seeing the Pulses from the hall sensor (the device that generates pulses for the controller to count).

Some folks have found broken solder connections on the motor circuit board, ou a cut/shorted wire.

Resyncing won't help,

Dan
Old 06-12-2016, 08:49 AM   #4

schwintek/lippert slide out

Thank you for your responses. I have tried resyncing several times to no avail. I have heard of the motors having a bad Hall effect connection inside them. I would take it to the RV dealer, but after hearing all of the horror stories with repairing the slide out I am very hesitant. The RV dealer is 50 miles away and is 2 or 3 weeks out on an appointment. I can buy a wiring harness for $35 and a motor for $135. I don't mind paying for someone who knows what they are doing to diagnose and fix it, but I am very wary of someone fixing it that doesn't know anymore than I do having been an auto mechanic myself for 45 years. I have counted the wires coming from the controller and there are 5, but going into the motor there are 6. Where is the other wire picked up at?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

schwintek/lippert slide out

I have traced the wiring with an electronic tester and have not found any problems there. I want to remove the motors for inspection, but the video for the 2014 Solera is vague about where the screw is that holds the motor from shifting on its own. They show on the video a cut away section of material that the screw is in. Anyone out there taken a motor out of a Solera?
paulhuyck
Old 06-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #6

Smile schwintek/lippert slide system

After tracing wiring for a break or short and swapping control modules I replaced one of the motors ( Amazon $137) which corrected the problem (code 8 ) Slide out works perfectly now. Motor replacement not as easy as the video shows, working quarters very tight.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:38 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulhuyck View Post
After tracing wiring for a break or short and swapping control modules I replaced one of the motors ( Amazon $137) which corrected the problem (code 8 ) Slide out works perfectly now. Motor replacement not as easy as the video shows, working quarters very tight.
The Hall sensor is in the motor. I suggest you take it apart, you will likely find a broken connection. Resolder, and you will then have a spare motor.

Dan
Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 AM   #8

schwintek/lippert slide

Thanks for your input, I checked the connections inside the cap for the Hall effect sensor and they are good. If I have a motor problem I have a spare, just not a working Hall effect sensor.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Thanks for posting this. I have a slide doing the exact same thing, giving the same code. I can put my controller in manual when the slide is all the way in and it will go out fine (really fast too). So my question is, which motor did you change? The one that was going slower causing the bind?
Haney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide out, lippert, slide