Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2018, 05:33 PM   #1

Cool Schwintek Slide Lube

Hi,
With about 12,000 miles on the chassis, I've started having some problems getting the larger slide in my 'living room' (Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB) retracted, and occasionally extended. Generally, the rear drive seems to bind on something and freezes, requiring me to work it back and forth a time or two. Seems to have something to do with how level and evenly supported the chassis is, but I've not doped out exactly what makes it work or not work.

I've found the Lippert/Schwintek YouTubes on lubrication and resynchronizing/retiming, I have ordered the right lube, and I'll do both of those procedures shortly.

So questions:
1. The lube procedure didn't say anything about lubricating the tracks. I know you wouldn't want to use something gummy that would trap dirt/grit, but what about some dry Teflon lube???

2. Anyone else had this happen? If so, what did you do about it?

Thanks,
Michael
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you have the geared tracks that are fixed to the side of the slide out or free-floating? Basically, the fixed tracks require a lube of the motor gears / gibs (as described in U-Tube and on the Lippert (Schwintek) site. The dry teflon lube is recommended.

As described to me by the techs installing my floating Schwintek tracks the motors do not need to be lubed.

With both rail systems it is only recommended you keep the tracks clean.

There has been much conflicting information about these different systems. Share what you're being told / seeing - let's keep working through this ...
Old 10-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
Do you have the geared tracks that are fixed to the side of the slide out or free-floating? Basically, the fixed tracks require a lube of the motor gears / gibs (as described in U-Tube and on the Lippert (Schwintek) site. The dry teflon lube is recommended.
I'm really not sure what a "free-floating" track would be - my tracks are hard mounted to the slide. The troublesome one in question appears to be the "tip out" type.

I'm probably going to hit the tracks with a tiny bit of the Teflon lube - Lippert didn't say you can't do that, they just didn't say you should... And the gear is gonna get a little mist just cuz it's right next to that bearing and the gibs that is supposed to be lubed.

Thanks!
Old 11-01-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
A simple silicone slide lube will do the job. I spray it on the tracks and inside the gears that are accessible inside the trailer or coach. Check the tracks to be sure nothing is stuck in them or a screw backed out.

There are some youtube videos on this that show how to do this. They show how to lube and reset the slides if they get un-synced.

Wally World sells the slide lube these days.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:47 PM   #5

I got the recommended spray (thank you Amazon) have done the lubrication process, just like the guy in the Lippert video described. Also did the retiming process. Could be the placebo effects, or inhaling a bit of that lube spray working on my brain, but seems like the slides go in and out more smoothly now. Part of my problem was probably the facacta space I was in when this started - nice county park near Phoneix, but the space had a huge slope back to front, more than my jack system could deal with.

Thanks everyone!
Old 11-03-2018, 11:52 PM   #6

After having sat through 2 full days of Lippert training a month ago, I would almost be willing to bet lubrication is not your issue. More likely something is out of alignment or there is an issue with the slide blocks under your slide. If you look at the gear tracks do you see even wear top and bottom in the SSSS grooves? If not then you have an alignment issue.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide