Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2014, 06:51 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sharp microwave convection oven question

We have an original oven in our 2001 Holiday Ramble Scepter and we have had them in previous Motorhomes. This one is an older model than our last one but it does not work nearly as well as the newer one. I do not know what the other one was but it was in a Phoenix Cruiser and worked fantastic. It browned the food whereas the current one will not. Is this typical of a Sharp convection oven? Microwaves are microwaves. Some just nuke faster than others. I don't want to replace one Sharp that doesn't work right with another that doesn't.

Alan Wilson
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2014, 07:10 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I didn't use the convection feature much on my sharp but the magnetron did go after a few years of using mine and the microwave compartment got very hot (melted the switch cover) due to relatively poor ventilation. IMHO I would recommend going a different route. I just added a Dometic cheap from Camping World but I haven't used it yet so no reviews. good luck!
Bouchbri25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the info.

Alan Wilson
Old 06-01-2014, 07:30 PM   #4

I have/had (two sharps) they both worked flawlessly and browned foods perferctly. I cook bread in mine all the time and get a beautiful browned crust in the convection mode. Since your previous one worked fine you know the quality of the product, sounds like you have a bum unit in this coach.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
We had a Sharp micro/convection in our 02 Travel Supreme that worked and browned perfect. I would guess your heating element is getting weak. Sharps I still believe were one of the best RV ovens on the market, ours was perfect.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:59 AM   #6

Bro box, do you know of any way to test these to see if and what the problem is? It does get hot but I have no idea if it gets up to the temperature requested on the panel.

Alan Wilson
Old 06-02-2014, 06:09 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wilson View Post
Bro box, do you know of any way to test these to see if and what the problem is? It does get hot but I have no idea if it gets up to the temperature requested on the panel.

Alan Wilson
Buy an oven thermometer. They are relatively inexpensive. When checking temp, use the rack and turntable - see reasons below.

A convection oven is really not much more than an electric oven with a fan for forced air circulation. When using the convection feature, use the rack so hot air will also circulate under the pan or casserole dish (or thermometer if checking temp). When checking temp, use the turntable because the air on the inlet side is hottest. When cooking, use the turntable if possible to keep from overcooking the food on the air inlet side. If the pan you are using is too big to rotate in the oven using the turntable, turn it manually a couple of times during cooking.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:29 PM   #8

I will give that a try to see what I am getting. The door feels hot but when we fixed pizza in it the crust basically dried out and never turned brown. We have the rack for the pan to get it into the air stream. Maybe the air stream is getting diverted up or down? That gives me an idea.

Alan Wilson