Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2015, 10:09 AM   #1

Shore power: current but no current

1992 Beaver Marquis, 75000 miles, in excellent condition except for shore power. I have 120 volts on both sides of the breakers in the coach, but with one receptacle exception I have no electricity at any other receptacle and because of a lack of electricity I have no operating electrical appliances/fixtures. The situation I just described makes no sense to me any more than it would in my house if I had electricity leaving the breaker box and not arriving at the outlets. Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?
Soonest is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2015, 10:29 AM   #2

I'd start by pulling the socket that works and see if the power is on both sides of the connection. The way most outlets are wired they feed through the outlet to the next one so it the wire comes off it kills everything else in the string.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Look carefully at all the outlets to see if any are Ground Fault" type. If so, "TEST" and RESET the GFI on that outlet, then see if the other ones now work.

Sometimes they daisy chain standard outlets off of a GFI outlet. By doing this, the daisy chained outlets become part of the GFI protected circuit.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:06 AM   #4

Double check that the commons and grounds in the shore lead and power receptacle you are plugged into are not broken. Are we talking a 30 or 50 amp coach?
Old 04-02-2015, 03:23 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Check circuit breaker on inverter. Let us know make and model of the inverter, if the circuit breaker is not tripped.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:03 PM   #6

This hasn't been a weekend for much RV work, but I appreciate the feedback provided thus far and I will pursue the suggestions made as each fits. The Beaver is a 50-amp coach. The only GFCI is in the bathroom and it was one of the first things I tested, and reset. The inverter/charger is an older Xantrex Freedom Combi. It has no dedicated breakers. I expect to focus on the inverter this week. Again thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #7

Start at breaker panel and work toward outlets.

Could be ats for inverter.

Get extension cord to plug into working outlet so you have reference point for hot neutral and ground.

This allows you to check all connections of outlet under test.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:05 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Might try resetting breakers?
Old 04-06-2015, 02:18 PM   #9

Shore power: current but no current

To reiterate earlier posts, check ground wiring as well as the hot side. When you are measuring voltage leaving the breaker, you have the other probe on a good ground. Does this ground continue to the outlet? Remove the breaker panel cover plate and tighten all the grounding screws (on bus bar) in the electrical panel.

Your symptoms suggest no ground connection at all. A loose connection will generate heat. I touch the back of the panel whenever I am in that compartment to check for heat. There should be none.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 07:28 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soonest View Post
This hasn't been a weekend for much RV work, but I appreciate the feedback provided thus far and I will pursue the suggestions made as each fits. The Beaver is a 50-amp coach. The only GFCI is in the bathroom and it was one of the first things I tested, and reset. The inverter/charger is an older Xantrex Freedom Combi. It has no dedicated breakers. I expect to focus on the inverter this week. Again thanks for the feedback.
Soonest
My older Freedom inverter/charger has 4 pop-out push in to reset breakers on the face of the inverter itself...(2 12V and one 2 120V).
On mine one of the breakers often trips, (pops out), killing the power to most 120VAC receptacles in my coach.
Mel
'96 Safari, (Freedom 20 inverter/charger)
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Update????
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:49 PM   #12

Rechecking my house batteries I found they had bulging sides - Trojan T-105s in use for 5 years. I think that as they died they took the inverter with them. Its AC output was irregular and at one point my meter was indicating 163 volts. I've thrown in the towel and bought 4 new T-105s and a new inverter.

A Lesson Learned: Unless the vendor is within delivery distance and because of the cost of shipping batteries (hazardous material), buying batteries online is expensive, almost doubled the price of the batteries. Instead, I phoned the local golf course who steered me to a local golf cart dealer who sold me T-105s for $125 each ($25 less than the lowest online price I found). If I had been willing to wait a week I could have bought them for $115 each. Plus tax and with core charge.

Again, thanks for everyone's helpfulness.

Who-a, First Sergeant
Old 04-13-2015, 09:28 PM   #13

Read up on battery charging to learn about it.

Then read the inverter manual two times.

Get the data sheet from the battery supplier and have them circle the voltage settings that apply to your setup

Then read the inverter manual again to determine how to set it per the datasheet.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:44 AM   #14

Any chance they got low in charge and froze? It's a common problem in cold weather country as the discharged electrolyte is close to pure water.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power