Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > RV Systems & Appliances
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Shore power GFCI tripping

I plug my coach into a 110v/15a gfci outlet in my garage. After a storm, and power glitch yesterday, the gfci trips. I have tried plugging into a different gfci circuit in the garage but get the same result. I have shut off all the breakers in the coach but it still trips. I hear the transfer switch relay click, and then the gfci trips.

Any suggestions?
JohnInAz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #2

John, I could not use gfi to plug in. Ran separate circuit for MH
fletch460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:28 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I am guessing that you have a conflict of neutral and ground somewhere.

HowStuffWorks "How does a GFCI outlet work?"

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #4

Was it good before?

Ats clicks?

Get ohm meter and unplug shore cord and check between green and white or safety ground and neutral.

Possible connection.

If trips with all breakers off then looks like it is ground to neutral or if this is after rain you may have outlet that got wet allowing ground to neutral.

You may need to lift the white wires at the ac load until ohmmeter reads good but check all outdoor outlets first.
Old 09-28-2014, 02:08 PM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
Was it good before? YES

Ats clicks? YES

Get ohm meter and unplug shore cord and check between green and white or safety ground and neutral. Unplug the cord from both the coach and wall, and check the cord for shorts (continuity)??

Possible connection.

If trips with all breakers off then looks like it is ground to neutral or if this is after rain you may have outlet that got wet allowing ground to neutral.

You may need to lift the white wires at the ac load until ohmmeter reads good but check all outdoor outlets first. Not sure what you mean here.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #6

If white neutral and safety ground are shorted together the gfi usually trips.

So first check for short or continuity between the SG and N wires.

If something is wet it will not read short but have some resistance.

If you measure resistance then first look close at each outside outlet or 120 vac device for wetness.

If all dry then pull cover from load center and then remove all white wires one at a time checking ohmmeter while doing it.

This will just take time and effort.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #7

Gfi outlets do go bad try use a drill on the circuit and see if it holds. If it holds then it is something in you rv. If not change the gfi
middleman210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #8

Rexhall Owners Group
it must have been some type of dampness in the connections as I tried it a short time ago and everything was fine.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 09-28-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It doesn't take much to trip a GFCI as you have found out. Even fog in the air can short one to ground.

If you want consistent power to your coach without the worry of being disconnected for a little dampness you need to wire a dedicated circuit for the RV.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, shore power